Rear bonnet problem....

Started by LeeUK, January 29, 2004, 23:08

LeeUK

I've recently got my car back from a coachworks company in Harlow after they repaired it on behalf of Directline (Big mistake!!).  For those who don't know i hit a diesel spill, went off the road, and caused some damage to the rear of my car.

First time round they did an awful job.  It went back again to be fixed properly and i picked it up today, but they never fixed one of the problems.  On my car the gap between the taillights and the rear bonnet is bigger on the left-hand side that the right.  The guy incharge insisted that it was like that on all MR2's.  I find that very hard to believe!!  Could somebody have a look at their "2" and let me know if this is true please?
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Darth Paul

He's talking total arse. Make sure you tell him so and that he needs to accept responsability for his (shoddy) work and stop patronising you.

DP

Anonymous

I used to be a car body repair man. We will say anything if we think you'll believe is. It's easier than sorting out our f**k ups.

Lee you know as well as us all, they're trying it on, your in control so go get em and sort it. I can guarantee that the gap is equal and if they can't sort it then something else is not right with your car. Have they put it on a jig? If not then i suggest you request it, cause that's the only way you'll know that the chassis is straight. Panels are adjustable but start where it's important.

Liz

After mine had its rear ender the bonnet was replaced and it is equal down both sides, if it helps I can email you some pictures as proof, sort of before and after smash so you can show them?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Lee

Did you sign a satisfaction note after their first attempt at a repair? If not, have you signed one now? If yes make sure that Direct Line don't pay their invoice until you tell them you are 100% happy with the repair. Also tell the bodyshop what you have done, so there will be extra pressure on them to get it right the third time round!!

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Apologies in advance to anyone who's in the bodyshop trade and takes pride in their work, but I think it's disgusting that most repairs are carried out with such disregard for other people's property!

I had a rear wing replaced and painted after someone crushed it for me in a car-park, and I had to take it back three times... they were hopeless!!

Fit was awful, paint was covered in orange-peel, door handle had been painted unnecessarily (too lazy to remove it first), overspray in the lock.. terrible!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

This is the main reason why I'm putting off having my front bonnet and bumper sprayed - if I'm paying for it out of my own pocket, I want it to be an absolutely perfect job!

Tim.

zud

I refused to use the Direct Line place, and insisted on taking my Alfa to my usual Alfa dealer... but they farm it body-work out to a third party... and he was just as cr@p!

It needed new bumper, so he decided to avoid giving me a courtesy car by suggesting they paint the bumper in advance and then just fit it one lunch hour.  He scratched the new bumper while fitting it, and got the @rse because he'd had to rush to get it done is a lunch hour (It was his bleedin' idea!!)    s:x :x s:x    s:x :x s:x  

Second attempt he took it for a day and gave me a courtesy car.  This time it came back with a broken reflector which was "like it when it came in".  The stupid thing is, the reflector was broken at an angle, such that if they'd put the right bit on first it would have laid perfectly flat and I probably wouldn't have noticed... but they'd put the wrong half on first, and left the other half proud!!  Just sooo careless!!    s:x :x s:x    s:x :x s:x  

Still, it was the last straw as far as Alfa's go, and now i have a '2 instead   s:D :D s:D
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

I know the Coachworks place in Harlow you're referring to (I think!); if I'm correct, they have another branch in Chelmsford.

After a minor prang in my old Focus, I had the option of it going to either the Harlow or Chelmsford branch (through Direct Line), and I chose the Chelmsford one.

The car came back in perfect condition: the paint job was spot on, the panel damage had been sorted out; and I'd also asked them to do a bit of extra painting while they had the car, which they did but didn't charge me for the paint (as DL were paying for it anyway!).

The company itself is fine, but apparently the quality differs from branch to branch. Point this out to them, and ask DL if you can send the car to Chelmsford instead... that should really make them sort it out, if they have any professional pride left at all.

Tem

Quote from: "LeeUK"On my car the gap between the taillights and the rear bonnet is bigger on the left-hand side that the right.

Is the bonnet higher on the other side?

That can be adjusted by turning the rubber pads that sit against (under) the bonnet when you close it. They set the bonnet height on both sides.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

LeeUK

The bonnet is the same height both sides, i'm taking the car to work tomorrow and i'm going to have a closer look at it.

The company is called PWP coachworks if that helps.  I didn't sign a satisfaction form.

If i'm not satisfied the second time then DL said they would pay toyota to fix it, although they said that after the first attempt too.  (I'm now insured with elephant!!)

To be honest it's gone beyond a joke i had the accident on 5th Nov and they had it until the 23rd Dec.  I gave it back to them on the 3rd of Jan and i got it back yesterday!  I miss my car but i want it to perfection.  I'm going to make sure it goes to toyota this time.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Tags: