Yokonovas

Started by juansolo, June 22, 2003, 10:25

juansolo

Due to a a flat early in the day (test day at Anglesey), my purchase of a set of Yokohama Advan Neova LTS was brought forward a little earlier than expected.  But it does mean that I can give a direct comparison between them and the Bridgestones in the same conditions.

The Bridgestone RE040's are a decent tyre for the road but on track they lack the durability of other brands.  The tyre walls are a little soft so you need to over inflate the tyre a little to stop them rolling quite as much and after  10 or so minutes of pushing on they're starting to overheat and wear very badly.  However they do offer decent grip and are quite progressive.

I was going to fit A539's as they're goon-tastic and hard wearing.  However these suffer from the same soft tyrewall as the Bridgestones and they are not the last word in grip by a long way. So after a few storming reviews of the YokoNovas on Elises and a Prelude, I thought I'd spend the extra and give them a go.

The yoko's are a very different kettle of fish to the Bridgestones.  They're designed specifically for the Lotus Elise by Yokohama (hence the LTS designation) but are available from a few other sources.  First off they're durable.  The tread design is such that the blocks don't move around under hard cornering like the Bridgestones and therefore don't have the same issues with the tread getting torn up and melting.  They stand up to abuse a LOT better.  Tyre walls are quite rigid and ride is a little more harsh as a result.  But what it does mean is that there is little to no roll at all.  Tread wear is even accross the surface with no nasty side effects.

Grip is on a par with the Bridgestones but they are far less snappy.  In fact they are ultra-progressive and massively confidence inspiring.  They felt faster and smoother though I actually found I was lapping half a second slower.  But, these were brand new tyres still with release agent on them and the circuit was starting to get damp with a light shower (it was red hot earlier in the day).  In reality I doubt there is much in it but the Yoko's felt a LOT smoother to drive on and look like they'll be many times more durable.

[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks - a great writeup.

That tread pattern looks a bit serious; almost like a chunky off-road tyre  s:) :) s:)

juansolo

Almost forgot.

I'm going to have the puncture repared (it's right in the middle of the tyre, in the middle of a tread block so will be a doddle to fix).

Anybody want a set of part worn Bridgestones in '03 sizes?  They're still road legal and have about two trackdays left in the back ones.  Good for gooning to death on an airfield or what have you.  

I'm kind of hooked on the nova's now so can't see me ever re-fitting them.  

£50 reasonable?

mph

Sold! While Bridgestone S03s have fairly stiff sidewalls, they sure do overheat on trackdays.

But...aren't they only available in 195/50R15 ? There's been much talk, speculation and superstition over why Mr T chose to use 185 fronts and 205 rears. Your thoughts?
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

juansolo

The Yokes are 195 fronts 225 backs as opposed to 185 fronts and 215 backs for the Bridgestones.  Seem to fit and work fine, no issues at all.

Are you at an Elvington soon?  I can get them down that way...  Any other suggestions for deliverage?  I thought you had 15" rears? (mine are the 16's at the back, 15's at the front).

mph

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  "Sold" was in reference to the use of the Yokos, not your subsequent reply!

Even so, this is great news for '03 owners, whom have been in a dilema as to what tyres should they choose as replacements.

Now I wonder if I can get Mr.T to get me some '03 rears under 'bubbling alloy' warrantee...
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

juansolo

Ah my mishtake   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

No worries.  They shall fester at Cleggy's no doubt, with all the other barely legal rubber that is kicking around...

Tags: