MR2 Roadster 2.2 Turbo... (diesel)

Started by Rogue, February 2, 2009, 13:50

Rogue

Hi All,

As some of you may know I've recently changed the plans for my MR2 Roadster and put my turbocharged BEAMS engine up for sale. Well, here's the reason:

It's a Toyota 2AD-FHV engine from a 2007 Auris. It's a 2.2 Turbo Diesel delivering around 180bhp and a smidge under 300lb/ft of torque. Now while the bhp  figure may not seem impressive, bare in mind that it's still forty horsepower up on the stock figure, and the torque figure is nearly two and a half times as much!

The initial plan is to build the car up for road use in order to shake it down, with longer term plans to cage it up and race it. Unfortunately there's no Britcar 24hr race this year, otherwise we'd go straight for race trim. Since it will be ultimately used for endurance racing, we're not planning to modify the engine significantly (except for adding external oil coolers etc if required) and we'll be keeping the stock engine management.

More engine pictures:

muffdan

VERY interesting indeed!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

StuM

Definately very interesting.

What is the additional weight of the diesel engine?
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Rogue

Quote from: "StuM"What is the additional weight of the diesel engine?

We haven't weighed it yet and it certainly felt heavy trying to manoeuvre it into the back of the company battlebus. But then it is complete with gearbox and fairly unwieldy!I'll weigh it in due course, but it's an all aluminium engine just like the 1ZZ so I'm optimistic that there won't be too much of a weight penalty. The Auris donor car weighed 1510kgs!

Patrick

StuM

Thanks Patrick.  Didn't realise it was all aluminium.  

That amount of torque would be incredible in the MR2 I should think.   s:D :D s:D  

Cheers
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

markiii

Quote from: "StuM"Thanks Patrick.  Didn't realise it was all aluminium.  

That amount of torque would be incredible in the MR2 I should think.   s:D :D s:D  

Cheers

yeah but how high will it rev?

to have that much torque but that little power I'm guessing not very
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Rogue

Quote from: "markiii"yeah but how high will it rev?

to have that much torque but that little power I'm guessing not very

Peak torque is from 2,200rpm to 2,600rpm and peak power is at 3,600rpm but the gearing is taller so it's all relative. I'm really looking forward to experimenting!

Patrick

Ilogik

Sounds like a wicked project patrick.  Have you thought about trying out the integra engine or working with something else like a 1.8t from an audi tt? like they do in Elises?
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Rogue

Quote from: "Ilogik"Sounds like a wicked project patrick.  Have you thought about trying out the integra engine or working with something else like a 1.8t from an audi tt? like they do in Elises?

Not really. We like Toyota technology, and we like the level of compatibility throughout the range! the other reason is that most race series restrict you to using an engine from the original manufacturer.

Patrick

loadswine

I think it will be very interesting, and very quick midrange. With an inexpensive remap, a chunk over 200bhp should be available , with even more torque. I've often wondered what a Roadster would be like with a good TDi unit onboard, so look forward to seeing how this one turns out. Okay it may not have a rorty soundtrack, but should give a hefty shove when needed. Has the box got LSD?
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

markiii

tell you what Nige I like teh look of those drivveshafts, seriously beefy, wonder if tehy would fit teh v6  s;-) ;-) s;-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

loadswine

Knowing Toyota, I bet they would fit. The interchangability of Toyota bits is astounding. I'd love a set of those if they did fit. Might be just the thing to withstand those highspeed gearchanges Mark.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

custardavenger

Oh no. The MR2 becomes a sport tractor.   s:D :D s:D   Hats off to you guys for doing it but unless it's a truck I just can't get with the concept of diesels in motorsport, It's the reason I stopped going to Le Mans.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

markiii

I can see it being great for racing and looking forward to seeing the build thread, speaking personally though I wouldn;t want to own one as a road car

Anonymous

Wow, all that torque!!   s:o :o s:o  

I can see the next must have accessory it will need    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   CLICKY

Only kidding   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Very interesting project and look forwards to reading about its progress.

Les

Rogue

Quote from: "Les"I can see the next must have accessory it will need    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   CLICKY

Lol! Actually, the race team already has one of these:

...which pulls the trailer that the race car will be sat on. (Wondering off-topic, but the RV is an excellent piece of kit. Just under 7.5t which means I can drive it on a car license and it has a 7.4l V8 Chevvy in it...)

Patrick

DannyN

*waits for Russ*
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Steven Velocity

I'm on the fence about this one. From an engineering standpoint this is outstanding. From a fuel economy standpoint this is still an excellent project. But from a performance roadcar standpoint I'm not so sure. In the TDI Auris I've driven the power delivery has been powerful but short lived, as in a very narrow powerband. The engine actually felt as gutless as a 1zz below 2k rpm, and then kicked like a angry roid fueled mule from 2k to about 4k, but then very noticeably petered out from 4k to the 6k (or 6.5k) redline.  Maybe gearing & tuning can fix the powerband. Also, although it may be aluminium, that's still one heavy engine/gearbox for a Roadster. Still, kudos on the project. I hope you start a build thread for us to follow. I'm looking forward to the end result.
SV
DRUM & BASS IS THE ANSWER, wobble wobble...HARD TECHNO ALL NIGHT LONG! BLOWN 2ZZ (R.I.P.) (FI project]/PFC/J&S Interceptor/complete custom 2.5" exhaust/6pd w/LSD/8lb aluminum Fidanza flywheel/ACT eXtreme clutch/TRD quickshifter/Speedsource brass shift cable bushings/BC Racing RAM coilovers/Woods slotted rotors/Hawk Pads/Saner 25.4mm front sway bar/Corky\'s BP/Kirks mounts/custom roll cage/JDM hardtop/Dev\'s KHCs/clear corner markers/150lbs added lightness/Toyo R888 for now BWAHAHAHA!!!

loadswine

I doubt if the weight will be much of an issue. My roadster is one of the heavier ones at the rear end and it is perfectly manageable, a bit different, yes, but no problem.

custardavenger

Ah but you have Torque and HP and a good rev range Nige
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

loadswine

Fair enough Rob.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

ChuckyBru

This is very interesting.  I'll be following your progress eagerly.

As an aside I had a quick look at what the different "chipping" companies reckon they can do with this engine in the Auris (either though a plug-in unit or remap). 205-210 BHP seem to be commonly quoted figures with 450 Nm of torque   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  and that's without ANY other mods!
[size=85]Charlie
2001... with added
TTET. [/i]
My fuel consumption.[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "ChuckyBru"This is very interesting.  I'll be following your progress eagerly.

+1

Not something I'd do though. Keep us updated when you progress.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

ChrisGB

With a remap that can be made to do a comfortable 330lb/ft and hold it out to around 3500rpm. Performance should be very strong indeed. Having owned a "performance diesel" with a remap, I can say that the driving style is a bit different. You tend to have to work the box more and you will need to adjust to shifting up at 4000rpm, but the performance potential is there.

I wonder how much potential it has for a bigger turbo and intercooler? Some of the Skoda Fabias are pushing up to 260bhp and 390lb/ft from a 1.9l engine.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

MisterK

Having driven an Avensis T180 which I think has the same engine , I must admit that I was very impressed with the pulling power.  OK the power band isn't as broad as the petrol in the MR2, but I would think that putting one of these into the much lighter MR2 body would make it fly.  You might need to stir the gear lever a bit more to use the power but I bet the 0-60 would be impressive.  I hope to use Rogue to service my own MR2 once my Toyota service deal expires this year, so hopefully I can see developments in person, plus the racing roadster project in the MR2 challenge with 750 Motor Club.
Mark K
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

Tags: