MR2 Roadster 2.2 Turbo... (diesel)

Started by Rogue, February 2, 2009, 13:50

Rogue

A little bit of progress to report already! My MR2 Championship mk3 is in the workshop at the moment for a fresh engine ahead of the new season and while the engine bay was empty I asked the guys to slide the 2AD underneath to see if it would actually go in...

...and it does! Beyond all expectation it almost lines up with the stock engine mounts and looks as if it was designed to fit in there! Photos show the engine sitting a few inches lower than it will as we have mounts on the engine and gearbox fouling on the mounts we left in the chassis - that's how close the fitment is! There's loads of space at the back too for the downpipe and exhaust system. One advantage we have here over the 3S turbo engine is that the hot side is now at the rear of the car.

Ilogik

that looks like its right at home.  When is the ETA of the fitment? What you doing with the brit car now? Quick question where did you get front splitter for the brit car? Need something on mine to stop it ripping chunks out the front  bumper.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

markiii

thats just scary  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

loadswine

I just love Toyota stuff, brilliant that it just looks made for that engine bay. You'd think it was designed to fit in there. Do the driveshafts fit the Roadster hubs, or do you plan on using the stock items? I know that's a bit further on, but just interested if you've looked at that yet Patrick.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Rogue

Quote from: "Ilogik"that looks like its right at home.  When is the ETA of the fitment? What you doing with the brit car now? Quick question where did you get front splitter for the brit car? Need something on mine to stop it ripping chunks out the front  bumper.

A replacement 2ZZ engine for the Britcar is due with us tomorrow and will be rebuilt and installed in due course. The Britcar is actually taxed and MOT'd so once it's working I can drive it around! Once we find a suitable series, we'll probably race the 2ZZ and 2AD engined Roadsters together. The front splitter on the Britcar was something that we made ourselves, and is actually part of the flat bottom that run from the front of the car to the engine bay.

I forgot to mention - someone modelled our Britcar in Forza Motorsport 2!

Quote from: "loadswine"I just love Toyota stuff, brilliant that it just looks made for that engine bay. You'd think it was designed to fit in there. Do the driveshafts fit the Roadster hubs, or do you plan on using the stock items? I know that's a bit further on, but just interested if you've looked at that yet Patrick.

No ETA on the fitment as we're quite busy at the moment preparing for the MR2 Championship kick-off in a month's time. That said, I might try and find some extra time in the evenings and weekends 'cos I'm feeling good about the project right now! Also haven't looked at the driveshafts, but if know Toyota I wouldn't be surprised if the driveshafts I had made for the 3SGTE project bolt straight up...

Ilogik

cool,  if you ever decide to make some let me know could do with something forthe front of mine.

Can't wait to see the mk3 in the series, see how it does compared to the mk2's.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

MisterK

You need to keep us posted about when you will have the cars out & about & which tracks you will be visiting.  Looking forward to seeing them in action.
Mark K
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

Rogue

Righto! Weather permitting, there should be three roadsters out on the Silverstone GP circuit this coming Saturday. All three are destined for the MR2 Championship, although none are fully prepared as yet. I'll be shinkg down my rebuilt 1ZZ-FE engine.   s:D :D s:D

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Rogue"A little bit of progress to report already! My MR2 Championship mk3 is in the workshop at the moment for a fresh engine ahead of the new season and while the engine bay was empty I asked the guys to slide the 2AD underneath to see if it would actually go in...

Stands to reason really. It is made to fit an Avensis, as is the 1zz. Really looking forward to seeing this up and running. Will be a bit smelly for the occupants with the roof down mind  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Rowland

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Will be a bit smelly for the occupants with the roof down

Only if it's going backwards...

s:? :? s:?

MR2 super GT

I love the idea of this project!

Rogue will you be offering the flat underbody as an off the shelf item at any stage?
when I\'m not in traction, I\'m in action

Rogue

Quote from: "MR2 super GT"Rogue will you be offering the flat underbody as an off the shelf item at any stage?

It's on the development list. The one we put together for the Britcar was fairly rudimentary simply because of the amount of time we had available. Ideally we'll produce something that it sectional to allow quick access to key underbody areas, has ducting to areas that need it and has a diffuser at the rear. It's a long way off though!

Star_69

Interesting project!

The question on everyones lips though is do you think it could do Switzerland to Blackpool on one tank of derv?   s:D :D s:D
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

nutjack

Whats the RV do to the gallon with the chevy V8 and trailer?
the smoker is a real project, good luck with it.
nutjack.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
AKA, MADMAN

Rogue

Quote from: "nutjack"Whats the RV do to the gallon with the chevy V8 and trailer?

About 10mpg.   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

Star_69

How are you getting on with this Patrick? Any update?
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

ad_car_08

Cant believe I'd missed this thread!

Having driven diesel cars all my motoring life (Roadster being my first petrol car) I'm VERY interested in this project! Often thought about how viable it was to transplant a diesel engine into the MR2, but wrote the thought off thinking that the engine would just be way too heavy.

If I won the lottery, I'd love to have done this to my '2

Best of luck with this project!   s:D :D s:D
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

Rogue

Sorry chaps, no updates as yet. The racing season is now under way which means my free time to work on my own projects is severely reduced. We've just had a quick turnaround between race meetings (two weeks with a bank holiday in between) and barely time to eat and sleep!

The plan is to get it out racing this year though, so it might get pulled in for some workshop time.

Patrick

ad_car_08

Did anything ever progress with this? Really keen to hear whether this could be done!
Have a pd130 engine I wouldn't mind slipping in an mr2 shell  s;-) ;-) s;-)
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

kentsmudger

Quote from: "ad_car_08"Did anything ever progress with this? Really keen to hear whether this could be done!
Ditto - Also any news on the undertray?
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Rogue

Sorry, we never did get anywhere with this project. We sidelined the diesel initiative for endurance racing to concentrate on the 2GRFE engine, which we later supercharged. I still have the 2AD-FHV engine and box kicking around the workshop and there's a good argument for us to resurrect the project for motorsport but it won't happen this year.

sailingsmith

Just wondering if this has moved forward at all.

I quite fancy buying a really cheap MR2 for next winter to give this a bash with for a bit of fun as love driving diesel (got a BMW530D for the daily driver).

Anyone has at a guess if anything apart from MR2 and donor Avensis would be needed?

1ZZ-FE

The 2AD engine may have a place on the track because on the road, they're horrifically thirsty. Perhaps the weight over the donor car is a factor but really, Toyota got this lump all wrong. There are Mk2 Lexus IS owners matching the 2AD 'economy' with the 2.4 V6 petrol. No, really.

Gearing and mapping will be two big factors (as discussed). You gotta look at this again - 300ft/lb torque with little mass should be hilarious to drive! Shares in Michelin anyone!?  s;-) ;-) s;-)
Toyota Hall of Fame = 1990 H - MR2 MK2 16v ]

Tags: