Which sealant?

Started by custardavenger, February 3, 2009, 21:04

custardavenger

Gonna pull the sump and cam cover of my replacement engine to check it out before putting it in the car. Manual says use sealant 08826-00080 or equivelent. What would be an off the shelf equivelent as I can guarentee Toyota will have to order it in and I don't have time for that. Also Does anyone know where you can buy plastiguage off the shelf?
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

spit

I've never had the slightest problem with Loctite 598 Flange Sealant (available at any Partco/Unipart). Probably been through 5 or 6 sump replacements without any issues.

Better still is the stuff that Nissan use. Its Red - sorry i can't tell you any more about it but a call to Steve at Charlesworth and he'll fill you in. I used it for the rebuild and it appears to be bulletproof. easier to work with than the Loctite too.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

custardavenger

Cheers Ste. Will look into that one then. I take it thats a sealant available from Nissan? Are they likely to have that in stock i wonder? Looks like there's no dealer in salisbury unfortunately. I suppose if I can't locate some I can stick it on when I put the engine in. Still need some plastiguage though.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

SteveJ

Never had a problem getting the sealant off the shelf in a MrT - it's a common line that they keep.

Tags: