Secret Weapon Intake?

Started by uktotty, February 13, 2009, 16:29

uktotty

Sounds Interesting, anyone seen one, used one etc?

The Secret Weapon Intake was designed to increase air intake volume to the engine. The concept is to create two different air velocity profiles, one traveling at higher speeds than the other. This technology increases air volume and speed to the engine, which naturally feeds the engine 3x more air than the conventional air intake system.

SimonC_Here

Well it looks really cool.

uktotty

LOL I thought that too!

Anonymous

So it looks like a pipe within a pipe which, given the right restriction on the inner pipe, the airflow is faster in the larger pipe which basically 'sucks' more air from the smaller pipe and increases overall airflow   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  A bit like the way free flow (bunch of banana) exhausts work? Somebody MUST have done this before. Before and after dyno??

markiii

snake oil

an n/a engine can only consume as much air as it has capacity for in teh cylinders at atmospheric pressure

some fancy intake won't change that
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Damn!
I knew there was a bloody flaw; a bit like the idea of perpetual motion   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

loadswine

I would imagine it is very free flowing and might aid breathing if it does what it claims to do. It does look quite smart, but I'd want to know firstly how well it filters the air before I'd let one near my engine.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Star_69

Quote from: "loadswine"I'd want to know firstly how well it filters the air before I'd let one near my engine.

Not very well! Theres a gaping hole on the side of it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

kentsmudger

I like their technically demonstrated "proof" of increased air flow...

QuoteThis technology increases air volume and speed to the engine, which naturally feeds the engine 3x more air than the conventional air intake system.

See? it's obvious that this is how it works!
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

damonlaw88

Well after a little research i found this website and tell you pretty much everything you need to know about the intake system. Looks interesting how it works. Enjoy reading it because i did lol.
Might even be tempted to buy one   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
http://www.mimousa.com/weapon-r-secret-weapon.htm
2004 Black MR2 Roadster - 17" Advans RG White - Tein S Tech Springs - Trials Front bumper and Side skirts - Custom Black Headlight - Hardtop - GReddy Pillar Pod - Defi Oil Temp - Defi Oil Pressure - Defi control Link - Alpine CVA1004R - Centurion Multiregion DVD player - Acoustics Solution custom sub box - Alpine 10" type S - Alpine sat nav - Red caliper - CHE Manifold

kentsmudger

Quote from: "damonlaw88"Well after a little research i found this website and tell you pretty much everything you need to know about the intake system. Looks interesting how it works. Enjoy reading it because i did lol.
Might even be tempted to buy one   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
http://www.mimousa.com/weapon-r-secret-weapon.htm

I think that information is a little flawed. My first issue is that they have not performed that test on a car engine, they used a vacuum cleaner to pull air through their test rig. In this test, the air going through is going to be pulled at a constant rate. (Is this rate comparable to the air in an engine intake anyway? They don't say!). An engine air intake is not pulling air consistently at the same speed, it is pulsing. Isn't this why performance engine air intakes are tuned? I suspect that a pulsating condition would badly disrupt the flow pattern they are relying on for this effect.  

They are not measuring velocity / volume of airflow in this test, they say "We measure pressure, in this case vacuum pressure, inside of the pipe." They may just have invented a better vacuum cleaner nozzle! If this system is supposed to improve airflow into a car engine, why not take the airflow measurements with the rig attached to an engine? Why not just fit one to a car and dyno test it?

The "TRUE VELOCITY STACK!" - I had not heard of this before, but Wikipedia has. It would appear that putting a filter in the end of a velocity stack would interfere with "smooth and even entry of air into the intake duct with the flow streams boundary layer adhering to the pipe walls."

The same page provided me with more amunition against their test method "what an engine wants, to improve power, is may be different in radius and taper from what radius and taper flows best on an air flow bench but these effects are close to unmeasurable."

Also I am wary of this statement "Polyeurethane (correctly spelt Polyurethane) Foam, which is rated at 300 Pores per square inch. Whereas the K&N / AEM / INJEN air filters are rated at 30-60 pores per square inch. This means that there is more dirt particles passing through the air filter to the engine when using their filters."

Yes, it would seem that they are using smaller pores for better filtration, but they do not directly state this, just that they have more pores in the same space. They are using foam, not a flat material like cotton. How do they measure 3-dimensional foam in square inches? K&N filters are flat oiled mesh. They rely on the oil to catch the dirt particles, and their bigger "pores" to allow more air to pass.

Lots of very nice attractive power words ("NASCAR", "Turbo" etc), some of them mis-used (velocitized), some made up for this article (what is "a Air Fusion"? Looks like some sort of sports shoe), their grammar is a bit patchy - "denser and more thicker"(!) and the same site is also selling the infamous Electric Supercharger

Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but I would like some answers to some of the questions above. Did I hear someone say "blinding you with science"?

Yes, since you ask, it is a quiet night here at work, how did you know?
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Anonymous

Yet another product that violates the fundamental laws of thermodynamics....

Dyn-Evo

yeh...take with a pinch of salt..!

Doesn't matter what the restriction of the pipe is: its the filter that will restrict the airflow.......

If you fit a filter with double the surface area, you can (given that the filtration capability of the filter is the same), flow twice as much air....

But, as mentioned, the engine will only demand the same amount of air, so its irrelevant, really....?  s:? :? s:?  

If you plumbed  a piece of 1" diameter pipe into your intake, the engine would still suck in almost the same amount of air it demanded.
An engine is a VERY powerful air pump: it will take any air it can get its mitts on..!  s:D :D s:D
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

Anonymous

The only thing I don't get at first pass is that if the n/a engine is always going to suck in as much air as it can take then why bother to modify the intake system at all?
With old fashioned carb set ups a lot of attention was paid to 'flowing' the induction process (matching ports, polishing, minimal filtration etc etc) Or are there speed of flow issues here related to how much fuel was sucked in. Things changed with injection I guess.

markiii

because 90% of induction kits for n/as are doing nothing for power and just making more noise

unless your removing a restriction in a really bad design, at best you will help throttle response.

now add forced induction and it's a whole different ball game
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

My physics is really realy really rusty but what seems to be being said is that the engine is 100% efficient as an air pump irrespective of any restriction placed on the the entry of air into the engine (not quite what I mean but something like that). On the suck phase of the Otto cycle the assumption is that, in the case of the roadster, 1.8L of mixture / 4 is drawn and injected into the cylinder. If this is the case then so be it. Anyone want to buy my intake system? Trouble with the engine behind you is that you don't really get to appreciate the sound   s:D :D s:D  .

Dyn-Evo

Its obviously not 100% efficient as an air pump.......but the point is that any restriction will normally be due to the air filter, rather than the piping.....

Another thing often overlooked is that the engine is a system: removing a restriction in the inlet, but not increasing flow OUT of the exhaust system to match / exceed this extra flow basically negates any positive effect.
For instance, the cat(s) is (are) a restriction, as are turbines......  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Quote from: "sandstrain"Trouble with the engine behind you is that you don't really get to appreciate the sound   s:D :D s:D  .

Depends on WHERE the filter is fitted.....! My Mk1 has the K+N in the rear passenger wing, flowing through basically a shallow dog-leg length of 3" ally tubing, straight into the supercharger......!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

When I stick my boot down, the body panels amplify the sound, adding a nice resonance to proceedings...!

I imagine that in the Mk3, in the summer with the soft top down, a decent aftermarket filter will sound QUITE pleasing....?  s:D :D s:D
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

Anonymous

Yeah, I might be wrong but I think the stats from a dyno day the members did showed gains from pre cat removal / che manifold installation.  Edit, stupid of me but this of course is why you want timing overlap, the vacuum caused by the exhaust helps suck mixture into the cylinder - more mixture = bigger bang! but is still based on the assumption that 1.8 / 4 doesn't happen so you get nearer to it if you tune the induction set up.

Tem

Quote from: "uktotty"feeds the engine 3x more air than the conventional air intake system.

Amazing. Everyone else needs roughly 3bar/45psi of boost to feed the engine 3x more air, but these guys do it with an intake.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I think the temperature of the air was a bit on the high side.

cclarke99

It's not even worth reading the text - read Vizards book on Mini tuning instead to see the effect of those sharp edges on the ends of the pipes, and if it's drawing air from inside the engine compartment, it'll be too hot anyway. I'd just like to know how many of these they sold.

northernalex

Although I agree the physics of this thing if awful (well the explanation anyway)but the intake looks like a "Weapon R" one. These are very common on MX5s and are thought to be one of the best around. My brother had one when he was NA and converted it to work now he has a S/C '5.  Butt dyno did show an improvement when N/A.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

yoan

hi to all (this is the little french yoan) anyone know the internal diameter of the metallic tube of the weapon R

I actuelement PPE intake (63mm) on my mrs
I'm gonna climb injector 2ZZ on my vehicle and I wanted to know if the weapon r and much bigger.
I must optimize ca soon with a power fc soon, so I need your opinion on this entry

cordially   s:D :D s:D

Tags: