Rotten subframe

Started by WillsSayers, February 14, 2009, 11:18

WillsSayers

Just had my clutch replaced at S Cars (£140, bloody hell!) and the lad said whilst he was working on it, he noticed the rear sub frame was rotten. He said he was even more surprised by this as it was the only part that was rotten! Now he's suggested either welding it, or replacing it. Which would be better? I would imagine welding it would be cheaper, but would that just be prolonging the issue?

Most cars manufacturers offer a rust warranty as well... My car's X reg, and I seem to remember most of this warrant's being circa 8 years... But even though my car is 9 years old, would be justified if I argue that the rust more than likely started within the first 8 years?

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

loadswine

Yes, you have to watch the rear cross member, some have rusted quite a bit that I've seen, but strangely, not all. Might be worth hunting around for one from a newere model that is being broken and then painting it well, before fitting.
That's the way I'd go.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

spit

+1. Get a half decent one, get it cleaned and powder coated. The subframe holds the pivot points for your rear wheel alignment and its structural integrity is in its shape rather than thickness of material (or thin-ness  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  !).

Its a good prompt for all of us after a winter of snow and salt to get the head underneath and check this thing out.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Innocent

Am i dreaming or do i remember seeing in the manual that there is a 13 year warranty on structural rust?

Anonymous

Page 5 of my service / warranty book says surface rust 3 years and corrosion perforation 6 years. (pre facelift)
This may I guess alter if you have taken out an extended warranty.

WillsSayers

That's great lads, cheers for the info. I'll see if I can find one, so if anyone hears of a facelift being broken for parts, let me know!

For now, I'm off to Alton Towers... Weeeee!

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

Wabbitkilla

They come up on ebay occassionally, always worth checking it out and not terribly expensive either. Should cost around 50 quid for poweder coating, but make sure you check all the nuts & bolts after a couple of weeks as the coating takes a little time to 'settle' and they aren't as tight as they were when you put them in.

The original paint really isn't up to the job, so i'd recommend powder coating to everyone.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

markiii

I waxoyled teh inside and hammerited tehoutside of the last one I replaced, but powder coating would be a good option
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: