Uprated/aftermarket shocks discussion

Started by Kool PT, February 23, 2009, 12:07

Kool PT

Hi all,

I'm running Tein S tech springs on fairly knackered shocks (stock ones on 92k roadster, pretty sure they've never been changed) and as the rest of you might be aware I'm torn between upgrading to coilovers at a cost of £650+ and living with uber stiff ride quality or just replacing the shocks instead. I did a quick search for discussion on uprated shocks but couldn't find anything particularly recent. The sportivo shocks are very expensive, what else is out there and would every type be compatable with the s.techs?

Cheers,

Tom
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

markiii

koni adjustable to fit your old shock casinsg will likely be teh cheapest

anything else and your looking the £600 mark
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Kool PT

Quote from: "markiii"koni adjustable to fit your old shock casinsg will likely be the cheapest

anything else and your looking the £600 mark

m http://www.fensport.co.uk/partsfiles/zzw30chassis.htm m

that these ones? what sort of difference will i notice with these installed - or is it simply that they are more resilient to lowering springs than stock ones? If I were to do fronts and rears seperately which should I start with?

markiii

do them all at the same time, not a good idea to mix shocks

those are teh ones though (I'd always buy those over NEW OEM ones)

they will be better valved higher quality and allow you to set the level of damping

or I can sell you a lightly used 20K set of oem shocks
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

Or BC coilovers for £650 inc vat?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Kool PT

still £260 more than shocks. Remember this is my daily car too (or was till I took pity on it and started driving the fiesta while I get the new roof and new front bumper fitted), I reckon the BCs might just be too stiff. surely adjustable stiff shocks & tein springs can't be a million miles off pre bought 'coilovers' anyway...what's the difference between a coilover and a spring on a shock?

markiii

Quote from: "Kool PT"still £260 more than shocks. Remember this is my daily car too (or was till I took pity on it and started driving the fiesta while I get the new roof and new front bumper fitted), I reckon the BCs might just be too stiff. surely adjustable stiff shocks & tein springs can't be a million miles off pre bought 'coilovers' anyway...what's the difference between a coilover and a spring on a shock?

none at all, we already have coilovers

Kool PT

didn't think so.

Anonymous

I don't think you can truely say that, the big difference with a true replacement performance coil over is it is designed to work with the spring sizes (I'm not just talking rates) and ride height that you fit to the car. The standard shock is designed for the orginal ride height and as the travel to reflect that and therefore it does not truely perform in the same manner as a tuned coil over.

Best to save your money and buy a decent set of coil overs, Tein or similar  s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob.

Kool PT

I'm not talking about replacing them with standard shocks though, I'm talking about replacing them with Koni uprated  & adjustable ones

darkday

Coilovers are still going to be better by a good bit from what I'm told then the koni's. That said I think you'd be happy with just the koni's. However I think it would be a waste to buy new OEM or OEM replacement struts because they go out much quicker with the teins.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Kool PT"I'm not talking about replacing them with standard shocks though, I'm talking about replacing them with Koni uprated  & adjustable ones
If I remember right the Koni Shock is not a straight swop, from what I've seen you use part of the old shock which means cutting etc - more added cost if you have it done by a garage.

It's all about looking at the overall cost / benefit - as I said, better to save a bit and get the best you can afford.

Rob.

Ilogik

I have KYB New Sr specials, handing and comfort is great, handling feels nice and responsive in the twisties firm but not overly done. Worth seeing if fensport or Rogue can get them for you.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Kool PT

Quote from: "FGRob"
Quote from: "Kool PT"I'm not talking about replacing them with standard shocks though, I'm talking about replacing them with Koni uprated  & adjustable ones
If I remember right the Koni Shock is not a straight swop, from what I've seen you use part of the old shock which means cutting etc - more added cost if you have it done by a garage.

It's all about looking at the overall cost / benefit - as I said, better to save a bit and get the best you can afford.

Rob.

This changes things a bit then. I'm just trying to get a good all round set up without breaking the bank.

markiii

Konis are inserts

1. take stock shock
2. drill hole in bottom
3. cut through uppper case and remove rod
4. slide koni insert into shock bnody
5. put bolt through teh hole you drilled to hold teh insert in place

not difficult

but I agree with Rob if teh budget is available a proper set of matched coilovers would be a better option

Kool PT

Quote from: "markiii"Konis are inserts

1. take stock shock
2. drill hole in bottom
5. put bolt through the hole you drilled to hold the insert in place

not difficult

but I agree with Rob if the budget is available a proper set of matched coilovers would be a better option

and am I right in thinking that replacing the stock struts is truly doable at home by a novice, without anything more than socket set etc as the springs don't need to come off the old ones?

StuM

Sorry to hijack, but seems a logical place to put this...

When my 2 was in for service, it got an 'amber' warning on the NS front shock as it is weeping oil a little.  The shocks have done 46k.  Would I be right to say that it would be ill-advised to put any lowering springs on shocks that aren't 100%?

I might have to start a 'BC Coilover Fund'!

Kool - if you have the shocks off, spring clamps are faily cheap anyway I think..

Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

markiii

Quote from: "StuM"Sorry to hijack, but seems a logical place to put this...

When my 2 was in for service, it got an 'amber' warning on the NS front shock as it is weeping oil a little.  The shocks have done 46k.  Would I be right to say that it would be ill-advised to put any lowering springs on shocks that aren't 100%?

I might have to start a 'BC Coilover Fund'!

Kool - if you have the shocks off, spring clamps are faily cheap anyway I think..

Stu

correct

markiii

Quote from: "Kool PT"
Quote from: "markiii"Konis are inserts

1. take stock shock
2. drill hole in bottom
5. put bolt through the hole you drilled to hold the insert in place

not difficult

but I agree with Rob if the budget is available a proper set of matched coilovers would be a better option

and am I right in thinking that replacing the stock struts is truly doable at home by a novice, without anything more than socket set etc as the springs don't need to come off the old ones?

to replace shocks teh springs will need to come off so add spring compressor (£20 from Halfords) to your tools

but yes it's very easily DIYable

Tem

Might not even need the spring compressor. At least the Sportivo can be pushed in enough to make the top loose.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

Quote from: "Tem"Might not even need the spring compressor. At least the Sportivo can be pushed in enough to make the top loose.

and with most lowering springs I;'ve come across oem springs will need them though

Kool PT

I've got tein springs on already.

If I'm fitting coilovers though, do the existing springs/shocks need to be seperated? I thought you could just remove the whole thing and put the pre assembled coilovers straight in.

markiii

Quote from: "Kool PT"I've got tein springs on already.

If I'm fitting coilovers though, do the existing springs/shocks need to be seperated? I thought you could just remove the whole thing and put the pre assembled coilovers straight in.

correct in whihc case 30 mins a corner should do it

I expect you will need to sepereate teh old shocks and springs to sell the springs though

Tem

Just happened to bump on Koni install writeup on SC:
 m http://spyderchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59118 m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

darkday

Quote from: "Ilogik"I have KYB New Sr specials, handing and comfort is great, handling feels nice and responsive in the twisties firm but not overly done. Worth seeing if fensport or Rogue can get them for you.
I'm assuming those are the KYB GR-2s we get here in the states which are "OEM replacements". KYB makes our stock struts so it's more then likely they really are rebadged OEM struts. As I mentioned earlier you might as well get the koni's now because you'll have to replace those KYBs on lowering springs pretty soon anyway since they aren't meant to be lowered. The koni's will also boost performance nicely.

Tags: