Uprated/aftermarket shocks discussion

Started by Kool PT, February 23, 2009, 12:07

northernalex

My shocks are on 55K and I have some Tein springs to go on. Hence the question about the stock shockers you have Mark. Might have to go the Koni route too..argh more expense.  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Captain Vimes

If you haven't read it already you might be interested in reading EVO's view on the effects of changes to the MR2's suspension:-

m http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolong ... dster.html m

Kool PT

would TTE springs allow me to renew my shocks with stock ones without wrecking them? and would the performance be OK?

i'm just wondering how it is going to be at all possible for me to justify spending 650 quid on a non essential car part to those around me with some fairly large bills looming.
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

evileye_wrx

Can you not just replace stock shocks and keep the Tein springs? Can the Teins not be swapped from 1 shock to another? Why bother with the added expense of TTE Springs if budget is such an essential consideration.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

markiii

the konis are cheaper than oem shocks so I can see no reason why you would buy new shocks
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ilogik

Quote from: "darkday"
Quote from: "Ilogik"I have KYB New Sr specials, handing and comfort is great, handling feels nice and responsive in the twisties firm but not overly done. Worth seeing if fensport or Rogue can get them for you.
I'm assuming those are the KYB GR-2s we get here in the states which are "OEM replacements". KYB makes our stock struts so it's more then likely they really are rebadged OEM struts. As I mentioned earlier you might as well get the koni's now because you'll have to replace those KYBs on lowering springs pretty soon anyway since they aren't meant to be lowered. The koni's will also boost performance nicely.

This is them mate, not sure if they are oem or not, but I have no heard of others with them

This is a high spec damper available from this exclusive company and come ready for the street/circuit/windy scene/drift. The single tube shell case design allows for a highly efficient, extremely accurate and durable damper.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

My roadster has fitted Aragosta coilovers and the ride isn't too bad and have a huge adjustment range. No idea on cost though, but they are a really good set up.

Two's Company

BC's are £650 less say £100 if you sell the Teins = £550.  The Konis are £340 with no guarantee how long they will last with the Teins as they aren't designed to specifically work with them.  For the sake of £210 I'd get the BC's for the increased adjustability.

Kool PT

Quote from: "evileye_xc"Can you not just replace stock shocks and keep the Tein springs? Can the Teins not be swapped from 1 shock to another? Why bother with the added expense of TTE Springs if budget is such an essential consideration.

Phil

I have been given the impression that tein springs will wreck a new set of stock shocks wheras TTE work fine with them

Kool PT

Quote from: "markiii"the konis are cheaper than oem shocks so I can see no reason why you would buy new shocks

camskill does a set of 4 oem for £257 inc vat

set of 4 koni shocks = £391 inc vat plus hassle/risk/cost of having shocks fitted to oem casing

Anonymous

Quote from: "Kool PT"I have been given the impression that tein springs will wreck a new set of stock shocks wheras TTE work fine with them

OK - where did you get that impression from - they do the same job, they are a coiled wire, same diameter - outside, rates maybe slightly different, height drop about the same, at the end of the day "IT'S A SPRING" made by two perfectly good manufacturers - well Tein is  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  In fact TTE could be a re-badged Tein spring   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob

markiii

probably because TTE claim their springs to be designed for teh oem shocks
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Kool PT

Quote from: "FGRob"
Quote from: "Kool PT"I have been given the impression that tein springs will wreck a new set of stock shocks wheras TTE work fine with them

OK - where did you get that impression from - they do the same job, they are a coiled wire, same diameter - outside, rates maybe slightly different, height drop about the same, at the end of the day "IT'S A SPRING" made by two perfectly good manufacturers - well Tein is  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  In fact TTE could be a re-badged Tein spring   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob

I have no basis for comparison so had no idea but as mark said above I read that the tte ones (which are actually made by eibach if i remember correctly) were designed specifically for oem stocks and were more forgiving on them.

SteveJ

Quote from: "FGRob"

Rob

Actually Eibach manufactured the TTE springs - not sure where Tein get theirs from though - I thought they manufactured in-house.

evileye_wrx

I suppose TTE would say their's are the best with OEM shocks. I'm sure all the other company's would say the same if you asked them   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I believe there are a good few people out there with other brands of lowering springs on their cars which haven't 'wrecked' the stock shocks. If your worried about your old shocks and the overall cost just buy some new shocks and put your tein springs on. Or sell the tein springs and pay the difference for TTE's.
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Kool PT

Quote from: "evileye_xc"I suppose TTE would say their's are the best with OEM shocks. I'm sure all the other company's would say the same if you asked them   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I believe there are a good few people out there with other brands of lowering springs on their cars which haven't 'wrecked' the stock shocks. If your worried about your old shocks and the overall cost just buy some new shocks and put your tein springs on. Or sell the tein springs and pay the difference for TTE's.

yeah I think i'll either put new OEM spec ones on or save up for BCs. depends if i manage to finish new soft top install today without it ending up in a garage

Tem

Quote from: "Ilogik"
Quote from: "darkday"
Quote from: "Ilogik"I have KYB New Sr specials, handing and comfort is great, handling feels nice and responsive in the twisties firm but not overly done. Worth seeing if fensport or Rogue can get them for you.
I'm assuming those are the KYB GR-2s we get here in the states which are "OEM replacements". KYB makes our stock struts so it's more then likely they really are rebadged OEM struts. As I mentioned earlier you might as well get the koni's now because you'll have to replace those KYBs on lowering springs pretty soon anyway since they aren't meant to be lowered. The koni's will also boost performance nicely.

This is them mate, not sure if they are oem or not, but I have no heard of others with them

KYB also makes the TRD struts.

The springs sold as KYB are definitely different than KYB made OEM shocks on W1. I'd guess it's the same with W3. They probably have some sort of deal that KYB can't even sell exact copies of OEM shocks themselves.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Kool PT

hey i just remembered that credit cards exist.

so i think i will get the BCs. yahoo!

Wabbitkilla

If you're after the BC's, give these guys a ring, they were very friendly and helpful
Apex Performance
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Kool PT

Kool PT

are pillowball top mounts completely interchangable brand wise...and is it quick to do?

markiii

on stock shocks yes on coilovers no in principle,

in practice sometimes what do you have in mind?

Kool PT

Quote from: "markiii"on stock shocks yes on coilovers no in principle,

in practice sometimes what do you have in mind?

bc coilovers site has small print describinig a few upgrades, including pillow ball top mounts

i have no need for these just now, but you never know when more stiffness will be required for track days or the like. so i was just curious as to whether or not I could get a set of mounts at some other point and swap them over fairly promptly.

markiii

so are they saying that they don;t come with top mounts at all? or that they supply none pillowball ones as standard?

Kool PT

"Pillowball top mount – some applications come with hardened rubber top mounts as standard to ensure the highest quality ride and keep costs as reasonable as possible for road use but we often offer a pillowball upgrade for these vehicles should you want to remove this flex and make the car a little more hardcore.  Upgrading to pillowball eliminates the flex inherent in even the hardened rubber used by BR Racing so improving the handling for those looking for the ultimate."

Tags: