Which spark plug?

Started by bridster, March 19, 2009, 12:14

bridster

Im due to upgrade my roadster to turbo and just wondered if any one could give me a code number or part number for a cooler running spark plug that they use in there turbo'd roadster.
Also i know that in japanese makes like denso the higher the number the cooler the plug, what i dont know is what range is good for our motors?

Any help would be appreciated.
I have also tried the search before anyone tells me off   s:D :D s:D
Need more money.. soooooooo much nice things for the mr2 to buy.

roger

I put one grade cooler in mine upon recommendation, and have no reason to complain.

I think my OEM was BKR5EY-11, if so I went BKR6EY-11. I can check the exact numbers tonight if you want, though I do beleive MrT might have changed plug specs over the years..
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

bridster

many thanks im thinking iridium plugs mind not mr t's  s:) :) s:)

roger

Quote from: "bridster"many thanks Im thinking iridium plugs mind not mr t's  s:) :) s:)

Your choice, but I wouldn't bother. Nothing wrong with copper, in fact some would say they are better.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

muffdan

Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

bridster

Sweet. many thanks   s:D :D s:D

markiii

iridium gives you longer service intervals but copper is a better condctor
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

custardavenger

Mine are NGK IFR7G-11KS, I believe they are the same as Denso IK22.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

bridster

Thanks for the info everyone, all sorted now cheers.

ad_car_08

Sorry to rake this back up.

Im not looking at spending £60 on spark plugs(does it really make much of a difference? a spark is a spark, no?), what are the standard type to fit?
Did a little ebay browsing - are these ok?

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-BOSCH-SUPE ... 240%3A1318 m

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPARK-PLUGS-NGK-X ... 240%3A1318 m

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-1-8-VV ... 240%3A1318 m
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

widermuller

Bosch super 4's don't do it!!!!!!!!!!! Mine are Denso irridium (don't know the heat range, just a standard plug, but they are good enough for an un-modified engine) cost me 35 quid 2 years ago bought from an online company.
Swaps owners, as much as it swaps ends!

Widermuller for hvac knobs, gearstick cage mounts, interior door pull kits in carbon or chrome! and much much more! Detailing our speciality!

ad_car_08

Quote from: "widermuller"Bosch super 4's don't do it!!!!!!!!!!! Mine are Denso irridium (don't know the heat range, just a standard plug, but they are good enough for an un-modified engine) cost me 35 quid 2 years ago bought from an online company.

Oh, now the super 4s would've been the ones I'd have gone with! Why do you advise against them?
Seem to be finding irridium plugs are big bucks - is it really worth spending ~£40 - £60?!   s:? :? s:?
[/size]

muffdan

http://store.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_150&products_id=581

$8 each. Not sure what shipping to the UK would be but if you try ordering them the site will quote UK shipping based on their weight.

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

ad_car_08

£27 delivered.....not bad

thanks muffdan
[/size]

widermuller

Admittedly my car is'nt used enough, but I got the super 4's because they are easy to get hold of and have the 'promise' of being better than a bog standard plug. However, when I got a good price (at the time, uk sourced) I changed to the irridium plugs and noticed smoother running from start up.

Lets put it this way.... if you plan to keep the car another 5-6 years, and do average miles in it, you might as well go with the irridium's because you would have spent the same money on ordinary plugs!
Swaps owners, as much as it swaps ends!

Widermuller for hvac knobs, gearstick cage mounts, interior door pull kits in carbon or chrome! and much much more! Detailing our speciality!

Anonymous

I wonder that if it would be possible to run surface discharge type plugs (like in an RX7 engine) or some other longer plugs in order to raise the effective CR.... It is something I have been considering for next time I take a look on the shelves at Halfords. Just to get an idea of what will fit.

Tags: