Wideband

Started by NickNJ, March 20, 2009, 22:01

NickNJ

I'm going to be installing a Hass stage 2 soon, having read numerous threads on spyder chat it seems a Wideband is highly reccommended for reliability. Now i've searched wideband and can only find out it that it's a sensor. What is it and what does it do, is it essential to run with this kit?

EDIT:- Thread title is spelt wrong, any chance it can be changed   s:) :) s:)
Black MR2 Roadster

evileye_wrx

It's like an O2 sensor but better. It reads the air /fuel mixture so your engine is running most efficently. Or something like that. Someone who really knows will tell you soon, but you should have one.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

muffdan

A wideband O2 sensor is able to read the exact amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas. A regular o2 sensor can only detect yes or no to oxygen present. A wideband o2 isn't necessary but you'll get better results by using one. It's worth pointing out that you can't just repace your normal o2 sensor with a wideband. You need a wideband controller to read the o2 sensor which in turn is wired in to your wideband-supporting ECU. You can buy wideband kits that include the sensor and the controller. I paid £125 for mine.

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Tem

Quote from: "muffdan"wired in to your wideband-supporting ECU

Many use widebands with ECU that doesn't support wideband. Just like any other gauge, to monitor stuff.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

NickNJ

What better results will it produce, is it reliabiliy or performance?

I'll be running Greddy Emanage piggy back, will it be compatible?
Black MR2 Roadster

spit

Options for both improved reliability and improved performance .... but that is nothing to do with the WB and all to do with the mapping of the emanage! I'll try to explain..... bear with me.....

If your wideband kit produces an analogue output (eg Innovate LC1), with a bit of jiggy-poke you can chain a wideband feed into the EManage Blue via the optional pressure sensor harness, but you can only use it for logging purposes .... not for optimising the tuning.

Again with the analogue feed, you can mimic a narrowband signal and that allows you options of substituting your existing stock NB sensor and (if you want to) fooling the main ECU as to where the lambda switching point is.

Other than that, the only use for WB is as seperate entity to monitor what's going on with your ECU/EManage Blue combo. For this alone its still very handy, but in itself does nothing for your tune.

The EManage Ultimate is a different beast. This can make use of a wideband signal (again via the analogue voltage output) and you can programme it to 'auto-tune' your car based on AFR settings that you put in at various rev and boost points. It errs on the safe side though, so you get a rich tune.....but its a starting point.

Bottom line, if you're running an EManage piggy-back on the ECU and you're planning to tap into that engine management combo, you need a wideband kit that gives you analogue outputs. They all do in a sense, because that's what they produce to feed gauges, but with the Innovate, at least, you get two fully programmable analogue options to play with. Cheaper WB kits don't have this feature as far as I know.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tags: