Who wants one of these? (Air Inlet Duct)

Started by markiii, February 5, 2004, 14:48

markiii

As many of you know there are many alternatives intake kits available for the Roadster. The, Apexi, AEM, and Injen to name but a few.

All of these aim to do one thing put more air into you engine to enable it to make more power.

Usually they have little to no effect producing 1-2BHP if your very very lucky. The reason for this is that while they may suck in more air (In tests with the Pocketlogger airflow was seen to rise) however they also suck in significantly warmer air which has the effect of negating most if not all of the benefits of increased airflow.

The reason for this is that the stock factory airbox is actually quite good at what it does. Providing Cold air.

As a result most aftermarket intake kits actually provide only one thing noise. OK maybe 2 it looks nice. If you like this great if not read on..

If the noise is all you are after there is a FREE yes FREE way of obtaining this.  Feeding into the stock airbox is a tapered elbow shaped plastic tube. Remove this and marvel at your induction roar.

I'm sure Kris will comment on this soon as we removed his last weekend.

So would you like POWER but not quite as much noise?

TRD have since the inception of the Roadster sold this

m http://www.japanparts.com/Pic/pic043/TRD099-012.JPG m

This inlet duct replaces the tapered part of the stock airbox. This should give the benefits of both having the elbow in-place (cold air) and taking it out (improved airflow), and would seem to be a rather good idea. Don't forget you still have the option of using an aftermarket filter to further improve things.

Now the down side. TRD charge £186.64 for this small piece of pipe, cheeky to put it mildly.

So we (SteveJ and I) decided we could do better. I currently have sitting in my Roadster a polished stainless replacement intake pipe that eliminates the restriction.

See below.

m http://www.SpyderMagazine.com/files/picture%20008.jpg m

And the good news is they are likely to be available for £50 each. Though I expect that for more this would go down, and have already been told by the manufacturer that a probable £10 reduction could be found if people wanted them unpolished - perhaps you want to paint yours?

Noise wise the induction roar is not as loud as an intake kit, in compensation however there is a nice whine reminiscent of a quiet supercharger at certain revs.

I know Steve wants one and Kris has already asked me to organise a GB as he wants one.

So anyone interested? Feel free to ask questions. And if necessary I will post in the GB forum later on.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

heathstimpson

Had a go in Kris's car with your no cost noise mod. Definately put me down on your list please for the nice chrome jobbie.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

So do i put my name down? Unpolished please!   s:D :D s:D  

Heath & Phil can both comment on the noise as they both came out for a spin in mine at the weekend. You can drive without it making any extra noise, its not until you plant the throttle around 3000rpm that all hell breaks loose and you sound like a TVR!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  (well maybe not quite that loud!)

Anonymous

Kris is right, sans-inake quietener it gives a lovely throaty roar to the rear of your car when the throttle is fully open.

And I've heard Markiii's too... and as he says, makes a lovely difference, almost supercharged.

markiii

want one then Phil?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Still can't decide   s:? :? s:?

markiii

you know my job is to make you spend momey. Just accept it and say yes please   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tem

I've just bought the Apexi kit and NOW you make these? Dman you  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"you know my job is to make you spend momey. Just accept it and say yes please   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

50squids isn't a problem, and isn't the issue.  Let me think it over some more  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"I've just bought the Apexi kit and NOW you make these? Dman you  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Just put it in front of your Apexi, directing lovely cold air at it?  s;) ;) s;)

markiii

sorry Tem, it's been in the pipeline for a while, if I'd realised you'd be interested I'd have posted last week.

Any other roadster owners in finland you can sell too?

markiii

Quote from: "phil4"
Quote from: "markiii"you know my job is to make you spend momey. Just accept it and say yes please   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

50squids isn't a problem, and isn't the issue.  Let me think it over some more  s:) :) s:)

yeah I know it's Mr Insurance company.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"If the noise is all you are after there is a FREE yes FREE way of obtaining this.  Feeding into the stock airbox is a tapered elbow shaped plastic tube. Remove this and marvel at your induction roar.

Do we have a piccy of this, I remember seeing Busters? done at yours mark, but cant remember what needs removing (and you know what I am like with cars and bits!)

Is it a nice noisy with stock airbox, or do you really need the apexi?

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "phil4"

yeah I know it's Mr Insurance company.

Good guess  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"Is it a nice noisy with stock airbox, or do you really need the apexi?

I think i got a pic mate - will have a look when i get home. You dont need the apexi, trust me its LOUD!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

markiii

Personal view is the Apexi noise is nicer (not much) than just removing the pipe. I prefer the new pipe to the apexi though.

Is it niceer enough to justify the cost. Probably not.

Pipe removal involves removing teh left side rear light, (2 screws) and then coaxing it out. Getting the new pipe in involves removing 1 more screw that holds the coolant tank in place in order to slip the mounting btacket in.

10 minute job at most.

The problem we had with Busters was the fact that his rear spoiler obstructed removal of the rear light. Not normally an issue but they had glued the spoiler on. oops

Tem

Quote from: "phil4"Just put it in front of your Apexi, directing lovely cold air at it?  s;) ;) s;)

I did think about that...but I'm not really sure if it helps anything...any thoughts?

Quote from: "markiii"Any other roadster owners in finland you can sell too?

Not likely...there's only 19 of them here and the other 2 owners I know consider 17" wheels the ultimate tuning for new car  s:? :? s:?

markiii

I think it would probably work with the Apexi, if someone can post a good pic of the APexi filter location I'll take a look, possible extra Market, hmmn

You could of course sell teh Apexi to the guys that love 17" wheels, it will make it look and sound faster, which after all is hat they are after.

Tem

Check these pics:
 m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2000/Sept/Apexi/apexi.htm m

I was just wondering that even if it would get some cold air near the filter, would all the airflow around it pretty much cancel it...? Maybe if the ouput of that new pipe could somehow be sealed around the Apexi filter...using the now useless stock airbox or something...

MRMike

This sounds great as I was messing about trying to find a suitable pipe to put in their the other week.  How far does the pipe extend to the exterior vent? When will they be available Mark? This will go great with my Blitz Panel Filter

Cheers

Mike
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

markiii

I'm afraid that doesn't really show what I'm after. I need to see where the filter ends up relative to the light cluster.

The Apexi comes with a conical heatshield, which in theory this would duct air into the top of, so if the dimensions work you'll probably be ok without fabbing anything.

I'm still wating for APEXI to relase a panel filter.

zud

I'm tempted, and might switch insurance to DIG in May, but i have a few questions....

1.  I've got the same spoiler as Buster (I think)... will I need to remove the spoiler, light etc in order just to try out the FREE way to induction roar?  Or could i just remove one end or something?  I thought i might remove the stock pipe just to see what it sounds like for a couple of days.

2.  Any idea of expected bhp increase with the new pipe?  

3.  Would changing the filter (from stock) make any additional difference?

Cheers,
Russ
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

I'm up for one, if someone (anyone?) would be kind enough to help me fit it!
(I nearly messed up replacing the airfilter element  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )
Polished please.

Ian

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"I'm afraid that doesn't really show what I'm after. I need to see where the filter ends up relative to the light cluster.

This is pretty much the only pic on Spydermagazine that shows the filter...doesn't show the lights though:
 m http://www.spydermagazine.com/files/Apex2.jpg m

Slacey

Best one I've got...

Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tags: