Who wants one of these? (Air Inlet Duct)

Started by markiii, February 5, 2004, 14:48

aaronjb

Dman you Mark, stop tempting me to spend money (and increase my insurance  s:) :) s:)  )!

Whats the ETA going to be on these? Gonna be pretty strapped for cash soon what with the insurance, UD Jr GB and brace GB (and starting a business and halving my salary!)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

I have better shots of the apexi at home from when we installed Chris'

Craid, put your name down for one mate - you know you want to!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

GSB

Just for comparison to the new pipe shown above, here is a photo of the stock pipe on my car with its restriction.

Edit: See the post below, where Kris has kindly edited my photo for a little more clarity. The original picture can be seen here:

[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

and in case you dont know what your looking for:

As you can see, on the left of the highlighted area there is a nice thick pipe and coming out of it is a thin pipe... the thin pipe has simply been made thinner at this point and the replacement will not have this, thus no restriction!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

HTH

Anonymous

what about makinfg apipe to reposition the Apexi to become a cai?

markiii

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"This sounds great as I was messing about trying to find a suitable pipe to put in their the other week.  How far does the pipe extend to the exterior vent? When will they be available Mark? This will go great with my Blitz Panel Filter

Cheers

Mike

Mike there is a semi flexible pipe that runs over the wheel arch within the wing. It feeds from near the side vent (cold air) and emerges just behind the left light cluster. At that point it it the same diameter as the opening in your airbox.

For some reason, either noise, or cold weather choking, Toyota fit a tapered restricitng elbow between the 2.

This pipe simply links the 2 together and replaces that restrictive stock one.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

markiii

Quote from: "zud"I'm tempted, and might switch insurance to DIG in May, but i have a few questions....

1.  I've got the same spoiler as Buster (I think)... will I need to remove the spoiler, light etc in order just to try out the FREE way to induction roar?  Or could i just remove one end or something?  I thought i might remove the stock pipe just to see what it sounds like for a couple of days.

2.  Any idea of expected bhp increase with the new pipe?  

3.  Would changing the filter (from stock) make any additional difference?

Cheers,
Russ

Zud

You can see from grants picture where we need to get so if your spoiler is fitted the same way you will have the same problem, this isn't insurmountable but it isn't 10 minutes work either, probably the easiest way is to remove the airbox first.

BHP is going to be Marginal, I haven't yet dynoed it at most I'd say 3bhp. Better throttle response is easier to quantify. It certainly has more chance of making power than most intakes.

Ref the filter maybe, I'm still running the stock, this is a bone of contention so I'll start another thread where we can discuss it.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

just a couple of questions??
what difference would it make on the insurance?????
and is there any difference on fuel consumption????

markiii

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "markiii"I'm afraid that doesn't really show what I'm after. I need to see where the filter ends up relative to the light cluster.

This is pretty much the only pic on Spydermagazine that shows the filter...doesn't show the lights though:
 m http://www.spydermagazine.com/files/Apex2.jpg m

Tem,

Based on that I'd say the pipe will be too long. you could cut it down but is that going to be better than no pipe? who knows.

This assumes you haven't got the apexi heatshield on. If you do I wouldn't bother.

markiii

Quote from: "aaronjb"Dman you Mark, stop tempting me to spend money (and increase my insurance  s:) :) s:)  )!

Whats the ETA going to be on these? Gonna be pretty strapped for cash soon what with the insurance, UD Jr GB and brace GB (and starting a business and halving my salary!)

lead times are uncertain but they will be fabricated to order so I'd expect a month or 2 in all honesty.

markiii

Quote from: "Jonny Turbo"what about makinfg apipe to reposition the Apexi to become a cai?

Not sure exactly what your thinking I'm sure it could be done. though I've no idea ref cost and it will be outside the scope of this.

I've already done the R&D on this so making more will be a known quantity.

markiii

Quote from: "jonboy"just a couple of questions??
what difference would it make on the insurance?????
and is there any difference on fuel consumption????

I've not noticed really with regard to fuel consumption.

If you beleive it makes power then yes, because air will be useless without more fuel.

enough to see a difference at the pump I wouldn't have though so.

Ref insurance? Thats an interesting one. Your replacing a pipe with a slightly more expensive shiney bit. It's not a commercial product, and I'm not making any miraculous BHP increasing claims, and it's not been dynoed.

I've told my insurance company because it makes no difference to mine. Whether you consider it a performance mod that you should tell yours about I don't know.

Anonymous

when are you looking at supplying as i am very interested????

markiii

probably a month or 2. They will be fabbed to order, so it depends on how busy they are. I will need to go back and confirm pricing once we have finalised who is interested.

Comer

Oh b*gger.  I would be interested but I've got an Apexi and I'm in the process of getting another stock elbow from Big'un after butchering my first one.  

I need a complete stock elbow for any warranty claims!

I had cut the stock elbow in half (at the bend) to try and direct some air towards the Apexi, no idea on whether it works though.
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

markiii

If I'd known you were after one youcould have had it gratis, I have a spare in the loft somewhere.

Your theory should work if you use the wider end. Not sure how you'd mount it to the bracket though.

Anonymous

count me in please.a polished one.

GSB

Right I've put some thought into this, as there must be some reason why Toyota put that restriction in place, bar the obvious point that TRD could sell us straight ones for £200...

Now I'm just guessing, but I reckon...:

Many multivalve engines use a slight restriction in the intake to tune the cars torque characteristics and improve emmisions. Markiii has pointed out that the MR2 appears to have all this further along the inlet tract adjacent to the throttle body, so whats the restriction in the elbow above for?

Well, I reckon its there to make the filter more efficient. Thats efficient in the sense that it'll last longer rather than it make more power. By restricting the airflow just before the filter, the air velocity is increased, which would make for far better distribution of particulates over the area of the filter panel. This way the filter doesn't get clogged up in patches, but collects dirt and insects more evenly across its surface, so it'll last the 20,000 miles or more that Toyota seem to expect of it.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   The only problem with this grand idea is that restrictions impede airflow, which isn't going to make my car any faster...

Personally, I change my filter about twice a year anyway, as living in london tends to clog it up quite badly. Thus I'm not quite so interested in making my filter last longer,  as I am in cramming more cool air into my engine...

Put me down for one of these Mark, It looks like a sound idea...
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

MRMike

Ah i see, sorry got the wrong end of the stick so to speak.  I may be wrong but i can remember reading something about this on Spyderchat that it was designed this way to increase the air charge, going from low to high pressure? Something like that?

I'm sold on one though as long as i can get the light off with my spoiler.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

SteveJ

Quote from: "GSB"so whats the restriction in the elbow above for?

This was another little nugget we got from TTE during our visit to Essen - the restriction is there to remove the noise that we are trying to achieve - it's all to do with the particular conditions that the EU noise regs are measured under.

Basically without it the car fails its type approval for EU noise emission.

s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  Like We Care  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

SteveJ

Quote from: "Comer"Oh b*gger.  I would be interested but I've got an Apexi and I'm in the process of getting another stock elbow from Big'un after butchering my first one.  

I need a complete stock elbow for any warranty claims!

I had cut the stock elbow in half (at the bend) to try and direct some air towards the Apexi, no idea on whether it works though.

I'd give this up as a bad job now  s:( :( s:(

The pipe that the elbow plugs into is fed from behind the battery, and is in no way under pressure, so there won't be any air flowing through it no matter how fast you are going. The best wat to get cold air to the a'Pexi is to scoop it from under the car - I'm sure a little butchering of the nappy and the use of a bit of aluminium should produce a low-profile scoop under the car to redirect some of the airflow into the right area of the engine bay.

Anonymous

I would love to have one.
Count me on, please.  s:) :) s:)

GSB

Quote from: "SteveJ"
Quote from: "GSB"so whats the restriction in the elbow above for?

the restriction is there to remove the noise that we are trying to achieve

Thats interesting... Although I fail to see how it works. Gonna have to get those fluid dynamics books out again...

Anonymous

Go on you've convinced me. Put me down for a shiny one.

RaGE

Anonymous

OK, as I am being pestered also.  I would jump at it, but need answers to the following questions.

a) do I actually really need to tell the insurance rip off people
b) how do I phrase such a phone call as to not be ripped of for changing a pipe.
c) will it effect warranty etc (remember my car may be going back in two years)

Tags: