Who wants one of these? (Air Inlet Duct)

Started by markiii, February 5, 2004, 14:48

aaronjb

Quote from: "cstevens"a) do I actually really need to tell the insurance rip off people
b) how do I phrase such a phone call as to not be ripped of for changing a pipe.
c) will it effect warranty etc (remember my car may be going back in two years)

a) Technically yes.
b) There's no way you could possibly phrase it that wouldn't confuse them. Your best bet would be not to tell them, to be honest. Not that I could ever advocate that.
c) Only if you leave it on (to me, the install looks totally reverisble.. I'm sure Mark will confirm though..)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"a) do I actually really need to tell the insurance rip off people
b) how do I phrase such a phone call as to not be ripped of for changing a pipe.
c) will it effect warranty etc (remember my car may be going back in two years)

a) Almost certainly
b) Mine have trouble with an exhaust, god knows how they'd understand something as subtle as this.
c) Yes it will.

markiii

I would phrase it as a replacement pipe for the airbox. They will ask you is it performance enhancing? it's not proven any way, they will ask yoiu if its an induction kit, it's not.

Is it reversible, yes 10 mins on 10 mins off. Though should you go for the unpolished and paint it they won't even notice it.

In all honesty Toyota techs work on so few roadsters I'd be amazed if they notice it's not stock. It won't be covered in stickers or anything.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

OK, so I say its a new pipe thats a bit bigger, but is there just to ensure that the engine is nice a cool so its a "safety feature"   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I will get back to you - to be honest if it sounds great, then I want it!

Anonymous

i will still have one but not polished, just plain.

juansolo

Go on, put me down for an unpolished one.

God help me, it'll be slammed with neon next...    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Sam

I will definetly take one as well.  s8) 8) s8)  - Unpolished if there is a choice.
Sam

[size=75]\'01 Black Roadster
Leda Adjustable Struts/Eibach Springs/TTE Stabilizer Bars/TRD Bracing/TTE 17" 9-Spokes/Toda Flywheel/Unichip/TTE Exhaust/TTE Front Bumper/TRD Quickshift[/size]

Comer

Just a thought.  The stock intake is plastic and probably does not conduct heat as much as a metal intake section.  

Would this mean that the air fed out from the metal intake (to the engine) will be warmer (than with the stock set up)during warmer weather but colder during the colder months?

It may explain why my car (with Apexi) has a bit of hesitancy on a very warm day.
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

markiii

metal will conduct heat more than plastic agreed,

Fortunately where it sits is shielded from the engine by existting heatshields, so it will only get warm due to ambient heat.

Even after a serious thrash, it's not even warm.

I have discussed ceramic coating but for the very minimal gains it's not been cost effective yet. Should I have an exhaust done at some point I'll probably stick it in to be done as well just to see though
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

dimwit

Mark, I'm up for an unpolished one, thanks   s:D :D s:D

heathstimpson

Mark when are you looking to get these babies manufactured  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

markiii

As soon as I have posted final prices. Awaiting a response tommorow.

I'll ask for payments and place the order.

Hopefully the next couple of weeks, but tommorow should clarify the timescales as well.

Chris

Quote from: "markiii"I think it would probably work with the Apexi, if someone can post a good pic of the APexi filter location I'll take a look, possible extra Market, hmmn

Mark, bit late now, but dunno if this is any good (very similar to sean's pic)

http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.roy/mods/apexi.jpg

Modifying the nappy for a scoop underneath sounds like a good idea, as long as suitable fixing points can be found.

Regards the apexi, there was talk at mids meet on the weekend about a way to adapt the apexi's position into that of the ppe - any thoughts?

edit: you can also check here for other pics now:
http://www.mr2roc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2644
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

markiii

if you want cold air to the apexi you could I suppose take one of these pipes and cut it down.

ref converting the Apexi to a PPE design.

heres how to canibalise the stock airbox (It's harder than it looks) but tis should be easier with teh Apexi

m http://www.pelicanracing.com/prd.intake.htm m

loadswine

Hi to all ,first time posting, I notice that many members are knowledgeable about there cars.Are the air inlet pipes available?
I'd like to put one on mine,shiny I think.This will be my first mod.
If they are available please let me know how to pay.
Nigel(loadswine)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"Hi to all ,first time posting, I notice that many members are knowledgeable about there cars.Are the air inlet pipes available?
I'd like to put one on mine,shiny I think.This will be my first mod.
If they are available please let me know how to pay.
Nigel(loadswine)

I think you may have already missed this group buy as the order has already been placed.

Anonymous

If it is too late you may be able buy mine when it arrives as it may not be of any use with the turbo intake, will know when the kits in and runnig (about two weeks ish)

loadswine

thanks Perry, thats fine,would be happy to do that if you can't use it.
Nigel
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

okey dokey  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

I seem to have missed out on this GB.

Only found it tonight ......... so if anyone is willing to sell me there one.......... just PM me with the details.

thanks
Puggman

Anonymous

Hello folks

I also have missed out on this GB, if anyone out there has a 'spare' pipe I would be most obliged (just PM me with payment rqequirements).

Is there any chance of extending the GB or running a 2nd one ??

Greg      s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)

heathstimpson

Look at the for sale section lads as Mark has ordered some spares.
Quote from: "markiii"Guys,

I orderd a few spares as I figured there would be a demand later on as well.

detailes to follow.

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 4&start=25 m
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Here's the findings of one of the Spyderchat guys on his DIY version of our inlet duct. Thought it may be of interest to those of us who've got one on order.  s:P :P s:P  

After reading quite a discussion about air-inlet pipe options on the British MR2 Roadster forum I decided to try bypassing the venturi pipe, leading into the air filter box. I simply replaced that curved black plastic venturi-shaped tube, leading into the air-filter box with 3" flexible clothes dryer hose. `glad I did.

A half-dozen "poor-man's dyno" runs verified that the time has dropped 0.18 seconds from an average of 8.17 seconds to 7.99 seconds!

Furthermore, these new times were recorded with a Full tank; my records show that the previous times were recorded with 1/4 tank of gas. So, call it a 0.2 second improvement, which, I think, IS significant.

What's more, I could easily feel the difference ... it was definitely pulling quite noticeably stronger from 5,500 - 6,500 rpm. The rest of the range felt more torquey, too. And, although 6,500 - 7,000 rpm is not included in the "poor-man's dyno" run, mine now pulled just as strongly to the redline fuel cutout; it used to die noticeably after 6,500 rpm. So, that venturi pipe definitely costs some horsepower (in my mind) ... especially since these improvements were recorded with a showroom stock car (with no low-restriction muffler, header or cpu-chip diddling).

Last, but not least (?), the sound was quieter and deeper.

The above times were recorded at 35 degrees with a showroom stock 2003 (with ~35 pounds removed from no spare, jack kit or plastic tire cover). These times were recorded with the previous CAI (also 3" flexible clothes-dryer hose) from the left-side body vent to the stock inlet, below and in front of the fuse box.

These were, no doubt, the cheapest horsepower I'll get out of the beast!

Chris

Quote from: "RUSTY"I simply replaced that curved black plastic venturi-shaped tube, leading into the air-filter box with 3" flexible clothes dryer hose. `

Now that brings an interesting point - I would've thought that the seal would need to be tight to get any effect, and would've thought that kinda pipe would be to big...

Leaving aside the fact that they may or may not work, I'm guessing that you should be able to achieve something similar by running that hosing directly from the side vents - maybe to a filter in the ppe position!

I suspect that running a feed from under the car somehow will be the way to go, but would need to check out mounting locations...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

I can't see the tapered elbow that you suggest removing at the start of this post. I have a 2000 model.  Please help!

Tags: