Antiflex plate chassis brace.

Started by GSB, February 5, 2004, 16:56

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"i'm going to use Durallium

Sounds like something off Star Trek  s;) ;) s;)

Have heard of it though.. in fact, have a sneaking suspicion the bodywork of the 300ZX was made of the same - or something that sounded very similar (bodyshops would refuse to work on it because it wasn't 'normal' pressed steel..). Still rusted, mind.. just less!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "aaronjb"

was origionally designed for aircraft due to good corrosion properties and weight to strength ratio. You wont generally find it outside the aero industry but is very similar to T6 Ally as used in most mountain bikes nowadays

guess all i need now is a dry day to measure up! could be waiting a while i guess!  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

heathstimpson

What about using Titanium or would the costs be too prohibitive  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

kanujunkie

i could do as i have access to it at work, but it can be a bitch to work with, especially as i don't have access to a miller and the metal i can get would only be max of 1/8" thick. Would that be enough?? I was planning on using 1/4" minimum

Anyone got any design ideas?  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Peter Laborne

No that's dilithium - A crystalline substance used in warp propulsion systems to regulate the matter/antimatter reactions that provide the energy necessary for faster-than-light speed. Naturally occurring dilithium is extremely rare and is mined on only a few planets, such as Coridan, Troyius and Rura Penthe.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"

No that's dilithium - A crystalline substance used in warp propulsion systems to regulate the matter/antimatter reactions that provide the energy necessary for faster-than-light speed. Naturally occurring dilithium is extremely rare and is mined on only a few planets, such as Coridan, Troyius and Rura Penthe.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

and Mentalus!!

s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

mph

I believe the topic is "Antiflex plate chassis brace" as opposed to "fictional metals in sci-fi"   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
/admin
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

GSB

As far as I'm aware, Corkys plate is Aluminium, with Aluminium cross braces welded to it. Aluminium is weldable, but not by us mere mortals with an argos mini-mig in our garden sheds. It takes skill and decent equipment, but provided you have both, its fairly simple...

My one is aluminium plate, roughly 3/16" thick with reinforcing bars attached with countersunk machine screws.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"My one is aluminium plate, roughly 3/16" thick with reinforcing bars attached with countersunk machine screws.

Sounds like the "MR2-Spyder.com"-version..?
(I have one of those myself)

Btw, just for the record...I think Cusco was the first one to offer these plates and they still do. The rest are more or less copies, not that it really matters. Cusco one is aluminum with blue anodization. It's not just a plain plate, but has two "pressings" on it (and several holes). Had I known about it when I bought mine, I would've gone that way. The price was only some 70 euros (a bit under £50)...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

mph

FWIW I was speaking with TTE on Friday, and as part of the development of the turbo kit, they've been required to add some structrual  reinforcement. Their current design (purely bolt-on) is a large 'X' that goes across the whole of the under-section from front to rear. It was agreed that there may well be a market for it to be sold on it's own too.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"FWIW I was speaking with TTE on Friday, and as part of the development of the turbo kit, they've been required to add some structrual  reinforcement. Their current design (purely bolt-on) is a large 'X' that goes across the whole of the under-section from front to rear. It was agreed that there may well be a market for it to be sold on it's own too.

you might want to post more info on the TTE kit so people that are planning to cut their arm off for financing it (ie myself) dont spend any additional money  s:) :) s:) .... i was about to join the GB until i read this..

kanujunkie

Quote from: "GSB"Aluminium is weldable, but not by us mere mortals with an argos mini-mig in our garden sheds. It takes skill and decent equipment, but provided you have both, its fairly simple...

i beleive thats what i said earlier!
[size=100]Stu[/size]

mph

Quote from: "spwolf"you might want to post more info on the TTE kit so people that are planning to cut their arm off for financing it (ie myself) dont spend any additional money  s:) :) s:) .... i was about to join the GB until i read this..
I believe the two would be complimentary. TTE have yet to decide on the exact contents of the turbo kit; they still haven't decided about the power output yet! The only thing to be certain (as much as it can be) is that it'll cost less than €6,000. They are still confident that it'll be out 1st half of this year.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Anonymous

GSB wrote:
Quote1/ Park the car on level gound. Select a ratchet and a 12mm socket. lie next to the car and you can reach under and undo 3 of the bolts holding the original braces on.

2/ Move round to the other side of the car to reach the other 3 bolts. The skinny rear brace will now be free.

3/ Unhook the cooling pipe from the pipe clip, to release the front brace. I only had one clip on my car, those with Air Con may have more clips to undo.

4/ Remove the clip from the old brace and fit it into the new brace.

5/ Put the new brace in position, hook the pipe back into its clip, and put the 6 bolts in. Tighten to 28ft/lbs with a torque wrench.

Thats it! Total time for fitting was less than 10 minutes. Absolutely anyone can do this mod, and its really worthwhile. The same is applicable for 2003 model owners too, as they still use the same OEM braceing as the earlier car.

Cheers GSB!!!! Seems pretty simple to me!

Goddam!!! I have just bought the vents and now I might have to buy something else............stop DOING this to me! I am trying to sort my house out! I am skint so pack it in!!!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

mph

Quote from: "John Woodward"Goddam!!! I have just bought the vents and now I might have to buy something else............stop DOING this to me! I am trying to sort my house out! I am skint so pack it in!!!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Welcome to the darkside...  
you want to buy a turbo ... you need to buy a turbo ... you have to buy a turbo ... you must to buy a turbo ... modifications are good ... money is bad ... you don't need money ... you need modifications ... you love your car ... your car loves you ... you love modifications ... your car loves modifications ... love your car ... satisfy its needs ... buy modifications ...
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

aaronjb

Quote from: "mph"Welcome to the darkside...  
you want to buy a turbo ... you need to buy a turbo ... you have to buy a turbo ... you must to buy a turbo ... modifications are good ... money is bad ... you don't need money ... you need modifications ... you love your car ... your car loves you ... you love modifications ... your car loves modifications ... love your car ... satisfy its needs ... buy modifications ...

Lol Martin!

But oh so true  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

SimonC_Here

Mind you, I do like the subliminal messaging.

Now where is my CC, Must buy a turbo! Must mod my car, Don't need to eat.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Simon

Anonymous

Well Markiii kindly fitted my Corky this weekend before the treasure hunt (thanks to steve for driving my car up the ramps as i chicken'd out!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ).

The difference is amazing... the car just feels more solid and stable (especially in the fast corners). Like mark said, its like having the hard top on the car but without the hard top! On the treasure hunt i was VERY impressed with the handling round the twisty bumpy roads. For all you waiting for your corkys... its worth the wait!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

We have taken photos of the install etc and will get a write up on the web site shortly on how to fit it.

Tags: