Panel Air filter for the stock box.

Started by markiii, February 5, 2004, 18:10

markiii

Since this raised it's head on a different thread lets discuss it hear.

Is their any point in changing the stock filter for a performance one?

in truth Idon't know and I'm not sure fi anyone has dynoed one to find out.

1. The stock white paper filter, it's cheap £12 and it does an ok job.

2. K&N lifetime use, just clean and re-oil.

3. TRD slightly different put 99% the same as K&N

4. Blitz, very fine wire mesh.

5. Toms, porous foam.

discuss  :-) :-) :-)

Personally I don't like oiled filters on this car because they have a habit of foueling the MAF if you not careful. Is it worth it? Prove to me a performance gain and I'll doit, I can live with cleaning teh MAF more often.

Wire Mesh, sounds the dogs but in independant tests has some of teh worst filtration results. This is probably why it works so well for performance, but I'm not convinced by teh amount of shit that will find it's way into the engine.

Foam, someone convince me it make spower and I'll buy it, so far no dynoes that I 've seen and I can't get my head around it working. Still Pipercross have been selling foam cone filters for years, is there something in it?

What I'd like is an Apexi Panel filter, based upon their cones performance it would have the best filtration and stands a good chance of making the most power. Unfortunately they don't seem to make on. Show me otheriwse ad I'll buy one.

So for now I'm sticking with teh stock paper filter and changing  it every 6-12 months.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

You might wanna read these:
 m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2001/Sept ... ilters.htm m
 m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2001/Nov/ ... ms_air.htm m

A dyno showed no gains for removing the filter, so I assume there are no gains to be had by replacing it with a free flow filter. I'm pretty sure none of them flow better than nothing at all  s:) :) s:)

But the fact that you can wash them might save something on the long run...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

interestingly I can't find reference to the dyno or no filter, is it that article?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

MRMike

Speaking from personal experience I really rate my Blitz Panel filter.  It really frees up the mid range, and sounds great.  You can hear air bouncing around inside the air box, sounds like a rally car.  Should be fantastic with the GB pipe. Freeflowing, with hot air protection.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"interestingly I can't find reference to the dyno or no filter, is it that article?

Sorry, did that dyno over here  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  It's not related to those freeflow filters at all. It was just stock against nothing.

IIRC, Blitzo was going to dyno all those and also measure how much they all let dirt through, but I guess he never had the time...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

where did you get the blitz one from and how much??????

MRMike

Hey jon,

I got the filter from nemesisperformance.net they're pretty good and will source pretty much anything for the car from Japan.

I paid about £30 quid for it shipped

Cheers,
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

I have changed my stock filter for a K&N one. I cleaned the MAF following Sean's advice, then changed to Shell Optimax.

The dyno run done the day before I had the H&S exhaust fitted showed an improvement of 6bhp over stock. The H&S added another 3.5.

A bit chilly today, but still good hood-down weather

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Jetex do one like the K&N and claim you will get better flow through theirs. Got one to fit to our other car shortly.
Cost about £27 delivered.

Tags: