Front Brake Discs - EBC

Started by aluk49, April 9, 2009, 13:00

aluk49

I am going to replace my front discs, and am thinking of going for EBC Turbo Groove (Slots and Dimpled)

Will it be okay if I leave the rear brakes as stock?

thanks in advance

Al

ps, just  to check, can someone confirm that the size of the front are 255 dia, 43 hub height and 18/20 thick?

m http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/part ... 2000%2D%29 m

loadswine

They are the same sizes as the ones that Nathan  ( agni) has just bought from EBC he got new front and rears though.
GD1087 and GD 1146 on the EBC site.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

roger

I have replaced front only with ebc & greenstuff pads, rear are original oem's, and I can't say i've spotted any drawbacks.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

MisterK

Roger - have you noticed any issues with the EBC disks rusting & pitting in the same way as the standard ones?  I had to get my standard ones replaced last June due to this problem - car only done 26K & 4 years old.  Dealer fitted standard as a replacement & I notice that these always seem to develop a rust cover after a short time.  Car is always garaged & used to commute 32 miles 3 days a week, so underuse is not applicable.  I'm due a 5th year dealer service again in June as paid for on a plan & will be interested to see what they say about the disks - if pitted I will try to get replaced under warranty as less than 1 year old.  The following year I am thinking of trying Rogue Motorsport for servicing, as all reports on the forum give good feedback.  If disks are an issue I'll look at replacing with non-standard - EBC if they don't have the rust problem & not too expensive.  Any idea how much more they cost than stock disks?  I know I'm looking into the future, but forewarned as they say!
Thanks  MarkK
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

aluk49

Best price I couldget for stock Toyota replacement Front Discs was about £124

EBC prices
Front std  £87.19
Front TurboGrooved £122.96

Rear Std £84.95
Rear Turbo Grooved £122.96

Anonymous

does anyone have experience of these

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0304853454 m

I was thinking about using these the next time

Two's Company

Quote from: "Mark Kenworthy"Roger - have you noticed any issues with the EBC disks rusting & pitting in the same way as the standard ones?  I had to get my standard ones replaced last June due to this problem - car only done 26K & 4 years old.  Dealer fitted standard as a replacement & I notice that these always seem to develop a rust cover after a short time.  Car is always garaged & used to commute 32 miles 3 days a week, so underuse is not applicable.  I'm due a 5th year dealer service again in June as paid for on a plan & will be interested to see what they say about the disks - if pitted I will try to get replaced under warranty as less than 1 year old.  The following year I am thinking of trying Rogue Motorsport for servicing, as all reports on the forum give good feedback.  If disks are an issue I'll look at replacing with non-standard - EBC if they don't have the rust problem & not too expensive.  Any idea how much more they cost than stock disks?  I know I'm looking into the future, but forewarned as they say!
Thanks  MarkK

They hold up much better on garaged cars.  They do tend to rust on cars that live outside but not as badly as stock from what I've seen.  I faced a similar dilemma last year and went for EBC grooved and dimpled because they are zinc coated so should last a bit better and they were cheaper than OEM discs.  £50 each plus P&P from Stainless creations IIRC.  I stuck with standard pads as I have no issues with them and they are cheaper than EBC greenstuff pads if you get them from Chris at cheap toyota parts.  EBC discs with pads are on ebay for £260 delivered which is a good deal IMO.

MisterK

Many thanks for the info.  It looks like EBC grooved will be the disk of choice with standard pads if & when I have to change in the future.  
Mark K
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

Two's Company

One thing you do get with the EBC is the 'sizzling bacon' noise when the discs do their job of deglazing the pads.  I got used to it after a while.    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

The last 2 sets of OEM front discs lasted 25k per pair and 12.5k into the EBCs, other than the rust on the hub of the disc they are fine.

NickNJ

I've been using the EBC turbo grooved discs on the elise for nearly 5 years and they're pretty good. Wouldn't touch their greenstuff pads though, trucking awful.
Black MR2 Roadster

andywood

Haven't got my EBC discs yet, but am just wondering if they come left/right handed (in terms of the groove direction) or whether the same disc design is used on both sides??
Just thinking that on one side it will mean the grooves are turning the wrong way in terms of their curvature if only one design for both sides.

Maybe i just think too much  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

loadswine

I think they are side specific and should come in separate boxes marked for the appropriate wheel.

andywood

Quote from: "loadswine"I think they are side specific and should come in separate boxes marked for the appropriate wheel.

Yeah, i was sort of hoping/assuming that, but saw the pics of simosspyder's fitted on his car and looked like the grooves run the wrong way on the front wheel (unless i just mis-judged the photo).

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

aluk49

They do come in boxes L & R,  but reading this made me a bit paranoid!!  I just went and had a look at mine, they are the same as in Agnis photo found here.

m http://www.agni.gr/gallery/show_member_ ... 7.JPG&ID=1 m

Fitted mine about 3 weeks ago, first time I had the top down, I noticed the @sizzling@ noise and also a sqeak at wheel rev speed, something was touching...took the wheel off last week and couldnt see anything obvious, after I put it back on..noise has disappeared  :-) :-) :-)  

They do feel like they pull to one side very very slightly (not dangerously) under very heavy braking.  I'll give them a bit longer to bed in before I worry.  Maybe a good session at North Weald next month will sort them out.

Al

loadswine

We'll have a listen to them at North Weald if you like. Nathan ( Agni) will be there too, so you can compare notes.

aluk49

Thanks, look forward to seeing you there.  Getting to be a few of us going now, I'm looking forward to seeing all your modded cars.

Tags: