Replacing callipers

Started by WillsSayers, April 13, 2009, 23:05

WillsSayers

Now then!

Right I'm currently replacing my rear brake pads and callipers. I'll need to replace the disc as well, but I may have to make a single journey before that gets done. One of the many issues I'm having at the moment (damned things have rusted up to hell) is that I need to remove the top sliding pin (show in the below picture) from the old caliper and put it on the new one, as it hasn't come with one.

How do I take it out? Pliers and pull, or is it an unscrew job or what? This job has taken me half the weekend so far! So many of the screws have been rusted tight... Need to pick up some locktight or whatever it's called as two of the 17mm on the left won't un-do, and I already sheared one on the right side! So much for learning to do this stuff myself - would be easier if the car wasn't so rusty!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

Wabbitkilla

As far as i can tell it can't be removed, it comes as part of the torque arm.
Therefore the only way to replace it is to replace the complete torque arm.

Is there a particular reason why you want to replace it though, because i believe it's stainless steel and shouldn't rust.
A bit of gentle attention from wet&dry should clean it up nicely.

linky
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

WillsSayers

Thanks for the reply.

The part in question is the pin that part 47776A sits on top of. I don't want to replace it, it's just that the new part ("47707C", the smaller part of the calliper) doesn't have one on. So obviously I can't slide the calliper back on to the pin, as there won't be a pin to slide it on to!"

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::

Wabbitkilla

Hmmmm....

47707C IS the torque housing with the pin attached.

47707C is the Right handed side (drivers side)
47708A is the Left handed side (passenger side)

This means on both sides you have the large pin at the top of the caliper, because it bears the force of the brake action.
The smaller pin 47769A is a bolt in items as you've found at the lower end of the caliper and can be replaced, with its bold it bolts theough the caliper into the torque arm.

The calipers thems selves are now obviously "handed", the orientation should have the large pin receplticle at the top end, it should have a dust cap on the inboard end to stop crap getting it there. If your new calipers don't fit on the existing pins, then they're the wrong calipers, are you've got both one side!

BTW, where did you get your calipers from?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

WillsSayers

I have both left and right handed torque housing (thanks for the correct terminology), only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not the torque housing is for the front or the rears - the ones I have a rough "C" shape (like the front), where as the ones on the rear as standard are straight. But saying that, I would've thought both would still have the pins!

When I say I have new callipers, I mean I have both new callipers and new torque housings; so the whole calliper system is being replaced. I definitely have both left kits and both right kits  s:) :) s:)

I'll be getting home at about 4:30pm, so I'll take some pics.

The callipers were purchased from Markiii!

WillsSayers

I've spoken to Mark and he thinks he may still have the sliders in his shed!  s:) :) s:)

markiii

most of teh world seems to be in my shed these days  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   looks like you're getting sorted then   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

DannyN

Quote from: "markiii"most of the world seems to be in my shed these days  :-) :-) :-)

"Gonna need a bigger shed!"
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

markiii

thats why I'm selling teh contents so I can knock it down  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

WillsSayers

Right, I still can't get the effing Torque Housing off! The two 17mm bolts that I need to take off just won't shift! I've already sprayed a shed load of penetrating lube all round the nuts (god damn euphenisms!) but no amount of trying with a 17mm spanner and mallet seem to get it to budge. And I can't apply any leverage with something bigger 'cause of a lack of space. Any one got any ideas?  s:( :( s:(

Cheeky unhelpful pic:

markiii

are you talking about teh bolts holding teh slider on?

Anonymous

Hire a pro!

Then maybe put it back together and take it to a garage.

Wabbitkilla

Sounds like you need a bit of heat in there and a breaker bar.

Or get a garage to do it.  s:? :? s:?  

Mine were pretty tight but a breaker bar and a few knocks got them loose.

markiii

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Sounds like you need a bit of heat in there and a breaker bar.

Or get a garage to do it.  s:? :? s:?  

Mine were pretty tight but a breaker bar and a few knocks got them loose.

yeah that

but

1. wirebrush
2. penetrating fluid
3. make sure you use a 6 side socket on a short breaker bar (1/2 inch as you will need to wallop it)

WillsSayers

Well one calliper's already off, and the other currently has the brakes removed, so I think getting it to a garage will be an issue at the moment  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I'll try with the wirebrush and fluid. I can't really get a decent sized bar in there due to the fact it's in the wheel arch. Suppose I could lift it higher tho!

WillsSayers

Turned out it wasn't anything I couldn't fix with a spanner, lying down on the ground, and a big KICK! :]

markiii

just a thought but looking at teh condition of your calipers I suggest you replace teh anti squeel shims whilst your in there

WillsSayers

Bah, but that's yet /another/ part to buy! Already had to buy a set of replacement bolts  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: