Stage 1, Stage 2, and stage 3

Started by VVT-i, April 16, 2009, 22:10

VVT-i

OK.. it's annoyed me long enough, I don't understand the "stages" of modifications which I guess only apply to turbo conversion (problably a wrong guess lol)

Anyone care to explain these stages and what the differences are?
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

markiii

whatever the company offering it decides it is
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

VVT-i

I wasn't told what mine is.. so I've deceided it's stage 4   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Any examples of what would baisically be stage 1, stage 2, and stage 3... don't worry about stage 4, I've already got that  s;) ;) s;)

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

Ilogik

check out thor racing website, they go through what each of their stages gains.  

But what mark said is spt on.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

Yeah, what Mark said. Personally I've always tended to look at it like this:

Stage 1: Breathing mods only (intake + exhaust), possibly lowering springs as well.
Stage 2: Advanced N/A stuff (cams, pistons, more capacity etc) + single adjustment suspension. Aftermarket ECU as well.
Stage 3: Forced induction (either turbo or supercharger) and/or serious engine work, like race-spec engines or even complete engine swaps.

Some companies break it down further into 5-7 stages, but that's what I'd call them anyway. It's a bit like the whole bases thing when dating  s;) ;) s;)

Ilogik

for turbo you could do it at 200bhp, this would probably not need an ecu, and normal cooling, 2nd would be  more power, ecu needed, not sure what normal injectors are good for, then you got 3rd stage which would be 300 area, charge cooled, bigger injectors stand alone ecu, internals?

VVT-i

Quote from: "Dan M"It's a bit like the whole bases thing when dating  s;) ;) s;)

Can you elaborate a lot more on this... it's been a while lol.

My guesses would have been along these lines...

1, slip the mi....  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   I mean...

1. Simple bolt on turbo (nothing else.)
2. Turbo, ECU cooling, clutch flywheel etc.
3. All the above and forged internals etc.

I honestly thought it would have been more defined than you say it is, it makes it hard to see how far someone has went when they say they have a stage # set up.

Anyway... back on topic... this dating lark and the stages lol.

Ilogik

Ilogik

Stage 1:
urbo installation, full stainless steel.
Supplied, Fitted and Mapped (NO Intercooling or Charge Cooling)

Parts List:

320BHP Garrett GT 25/28 Hybrid Turbo (including all oil and water pipes and fittings)
Stainless steel tubular manifold. (Equal length runners, designed and manufactured by THOR)
Mikalor Hose Clamps
Cone Air Filter
3" high flow Catalytic Converter (Or decat pipe if preferred)
3" Stainless Steel Exhaust pipe system
3" exhaust sports muffler
3" Chrome Exhaust Tip
GReddy Emanage (Installed and Mapped on the THOR Dyno for your car, not just a base map)
GReddy Emanage harnesses.
Set of four 420cc Bosch Injectors and injector clips.
Blow Off Valve, Toyota standard, HKS, Blitz, Turbo Smart etc. (price may vary dependant on choice)
2.5" stainless steel charge cooler pipework and THOR induction kit.

Stage 2:

Toyota MR-S Roaster Stage 2 turbo installation, full stainless steel.
Supplied, Fitted and Mapped with INTERCOOLER

EVERYTHING INCLUDED TO TURBO CHARGE YOUR MR-S Roadster.

Parts List:

320BHP Garrett GT 25/28 Hybrid Turbo (including all oil and water pipes and fittings)
Stainless steel tubular manifold. (Equal length runners, designed and manufactured by THOR)
Intercooler and fan
Mikalor Hose Clamps
Cone Air Filter
3" Chrome Exhaust Tip
GReddy Emanage (Installed and Mapped on the THOR Dyno for your car, not just a base map)
Blow Off Valve, Toyota standard, HKS, Blitz, Turbo Smart etc. (price may vary dependant on choice)

Stage 3:

Toyota MR-S Roaster Stage 3 turbo installation, full stainless steel.
Supplied, Fitted and Mapped with CHARGE COOLER.

Develops 240BHP at the wheels at JUST 9psi.
(That's about 280BHP Flywheel)
A 100% increase in power compared to non-turbo.

Barrell Charge Cooler (300BHP flow rate)
Charge cooler radiator and fan
High flow charge cooler water pump + control relay
Mikalor Hose Clamps
Cone Air Filter
3" Chrome Exhaust Tip

Anonymous

That's just for a turbo installation though, and even more than that it's specifically for Thor's turbo kit.

Ilogik

looking at the above, the only thing i see different is the different cooling options, I would personally go for stage one, seems like a silly price increase considering everything looks to be part of the same kit.

Stage 3 tends to be the more extreme end of the scale.

VVT-i

Going by that I would more or less have stage 2, as I have an Intercooler as opposed to a charge cooler, I also have an uprated clutch and flywheel, although their estimated bhp figures for their particulr stage 3 arn't far off what I have (234bhp)

Thanks for the info guys... was one of those topics that was beginning to "dae ma heid in" lol

Anymore info on this dating thing yet though? lol

Star_69

Stage 1 is the first lot of mods, ie getting the turbo installed
Stage 2 always requires you to bolt things on you dont already have, regardless of the state of tune.
Any further ad hoc mods dont warrant being called Stage 3 unless it is implying to the other half that there is no stage 4, therefore no further money will be spent after this.
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

markiii

Quote from: "Ilogik"for turbo you could do it at 200bhp, this would probably not need an ecu, and normal cooling, 2nd would be  more power, ecu needed, not sure what normal injectors are good for, then you got 3rd stage which would be 300 area, charge cooled, bigger injectors stand alone ecu, internals?

read the PE install manual without an ecu its a dangerous bodge

200bhp on stock ecu is not going to happen without a dead engine
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ilogik

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "Ilogik"for turbo you could do it at 200bhp, this would probably not need an ecu, and normal cooling, 2nd would be  more power, ecu needed, not sure what normal injectors are good for, then you got 3rd stage which would be 300 area, charge cooled, bigger injectors stand alone ecu, internals?

I didnt think the TTE had an ecu?

markiii

Quote from: "Ilogik"

then read that manual too  :-) :-) :-)

it has a piggyback

loadswine

I want to go the Spinal Tap route and go to 11 !  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Ilogik

Quote from: "Ilogik"
Quote from: "markiii"read the PE install manual without an ecu its a dangerous bodge

then read that manual too  :-) :-) :-)

it has a piggyback

Ay learn something new each day.

DannyN

Quote from: "markiii"then read that manual too  :-) :-) :-)

I have a problem with your answer Mark
Rightly or wrongly this club is predominantly Male orientated

And none of us read the manual !!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Ilogik

Quote from: "DannyN"
Quote from: "markiii"then read that manual too  :-) :-) :-)

I have a problem with your answer Mark
Rightly or wrongly this club is predominantly Male orientated

And none of us read the manual !!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

its like flat pack furniture, untill the unit is upside down, and you lost half the screws do you let the girlfriend do it lol.

markiii

this would be a bad time to say I read them all cover to cover including the BGBs then  :-) :-) :-)

Ilogik

Quote from: "markiii"this would be a bad time to say I read them all cover to cover including the BGBs then  :-) :-) :-)

Do you listen to Elton Jon?

markiii

not regularly but I did once go to a concert does that count?

Star_69

Quote from: "Ilogik"Do you listen to Elton Jon?

Unfortunately listening to "Rocket Man" whilst installing a turbo DOES NOT make it go faster!
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

DannyN

Quote from: "markiii"this would be a bad time to say I read them all cover to cover including the BGBs then  :-) :-) :-)

You'll do anything to get away from your better half
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Tags: