"RED" Steering Wheel/Airbag (sorted with lateral thinking)

Started by Anonymous, May 2, 2009, 12:59

Anonymous

Hi all just bought this steering wheel from a 2005 "red" edition '2 for the bargain price of £20,the problem i have is that after fitting i have a gap of about 5mm on the edge of airbag so it looks like i will have to try to find an airbag to fit.What i want to know is was the airbag a special size on the "red"?Can people with normal '2s  post 2000 measure their airbag at the widest point so i know when the size changed,this should make sourcing a bit easier.
My airbag from 2000 steering wheel is 213mm at widest point and the gap in the 2005 "red" steering wheel is 220mm.

Anonymous

Anyone with a tape measure and an MR2 out there?

nitro

mines 220mm on a 2000 plate you dont think there could be to different sizes mrs /mr2.

Anonymous

Quote from: "nitro"mines 220mm on a 2000 plate you dont think there could be to different sizes mrs /mr2.
Thanks for the measurement,mines a UK car is your an MRS?

markiii

pretty sure they never changed if they did it's likely a facelift thing
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

As Mark says...

Plus they used the same wheel with colour variations in the R1 and R2 Yaris, and Celica.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"pretty sure they never changed if they did it's likely a facelift thing

I'm not making this up,you can see in pics.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "life of bryan"
Quote from: "markiii"pretty sure they never changed if they did it's likely a facelift thing

We know Bryan, just seems mighty peculiar
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"

So what age and size is yours?

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"
Quote from: "life of bryan"I'm not making this up,you can see in pics.

So what age and size is yours?

You want me to get out of bed????   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  
Ok give me a minute or two  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

When you get up later is fine.

alancdavis

Check makes mine 220mm,,,,,,,,,,,I also checked the size of the steering wheel on the spare I have and they are both the same.
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Anonymous

Quote from: "alancdavis"Check makes mine 220mm,,,,,,,,,,,I also checked the size of the steering wheel on the spare I have and they are both the same.

What year is your '2?

Wabbitkilla

Ok ok, a bit late now Bryan!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Not the easiest thing in the world to measure is it ?

The "hole" in the wheel is 220mm, the airbag is 215mm and there's a 2.5ish mm gap each side.
Car is 2003 facelift.

I've looked through Toyodiy at the part numbers and they're all the same (apart from colour codes) all the way through production.
I compared it with the Celica too as that comes in a Red addition and that part number is the same also.

How odd!
Mind, your "RED" steering wheel looks a bit too light for the proper Toyota RED used in the cars, i'm wondering if it's an original item or it's a modified and re-leathered item. Plus i'm pretty sure the black leather on a RED wheel is stitched with black thread... can't be certain though..... calling RED owners?

Anonymous

Definitly a "RED" Wheel as i took it out of the crash damaged car myself.

Wabbitkilla

ooh err, how wierd!
Notexactly helpful, but you know what i mean  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

I wonder if the gapping is deformed when the airbag goes off?
Looks like there might be a good engine there too   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

inert2k3

OOOh I want those seats!!

Mohammed   s:D :D s:D
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

Anonymous

Well the gap is 220mm which seems to be consistent with everyone elses,its my original airbag that seems an odd size at 213mm.The engine in the "red" is good and has only done 13000ish but he wants £750ish for it,seats have been sold.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "life of bryan"Well the gap is 220mm which seems to be consistent with everyone elses,its my original airbag that seems an odd size at 213mm.The engine in the "red" is good and has only done 13000ish but he wants £750ish for it,seats have been sold.

Looks like you need to find a new airbag then ... shame!

That's a darned good price for an engine especially with those miles   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Two's Company

Bry where is that '2?  Any idea if the near side rear wing is in good nick?

Cheers

inert2k3

Thanks anyway   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twos Company"Bry where is that '2?  Any idea if the near side rear wing is in good nick?

Cheers
Its in manchester TDX Ltd scrapyard 07725741129/0161 231 8301,listed on ebay put mr2 roadster in search and its about 40th listing 2005 roadster parts(under lowest price+pp) at £20+£20pp .I think both rear panels are fine but didnt look closely.

alancdavis

Quote from: "alancdavis"Check makes mine 220mm,,,,,,,,,,,I also checked the size of the steering wheel on the spare I have and they are both the same.

What year is your '2?

X reg,,,,,,,,,2001
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Anonymous

Anyone got a cheap airbag for sale thats 220mm?

alancdavis

There is one on e bay  but its £95 I think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Maybe someone who has an aftermarket wheel fitted has a redundant one   ??

Tags: