Motorway Queues

Started by alancdavis, May 8, 2009, 14:01

alancdavis

Traveling home yesterday I found the cause of the giant queues on the M way

Traveling along at a happy 75/80 mph I joined a line of around 30 to 40 cars traveling at a dead 70
Other drivers were coming up the center lane and the pulling into the inside lane increasing the queue

The reason was a police car on the inside traveling at precicly 70 and every one was frightened to pass him,hence he was the reason for the line
This continued with an ever increasing line untill he pulled off the M way,,,by how a giant line had formed and no doubt he left with a smile on his face,,,,,Why cant these guys get a life and realise the problems they cause

Needless to say once he had gone the traffic speeded up and all three lanes were in use again.
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

StuM

Quote from: "alancdavis"every one was frightened to pass him

IMO - that's the problem.  The police will not nick anyone for going past at 75mph so long as conditions are safe to do so etc.
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

edward.carter

Ive seen that a couple of times, most of the time though the police i see on the motorway tend to sit at about 55-60 so people can get past without any problem.

Star_69

Dont know if its true, but police cars can get done for speeding if they are exceeding the limit without their lights on. Good excuse if you get caught speeding, say "but you were doing at least 80, I was keeping up with you!"   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

It is annoying though, worst still when as you gradually get nearer you realise its just motorway maintenance, spark up a fag in relief and call your mate to vent your frustration, then boot it trying not to spill the beer between your legs   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

jonfy

Quote from: "Star_69"Dont know if its true, but police cars can get done for speeding if they are exceeding the limit without their lights on. Good excuse if you get caught speeding, say "but you were doing at least 80, I was keeping up with you!"   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

It is annoying though, worst still when as you gradually get nearer you realise its just motorway maintenance, spark up a fag in relief and call your mate to vent your frustration, then boot it trying not to spill the beer between your legs   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Yep, Police car drivers have to obey the same traffic rules as us mortals, they can only break the speed limit if they are travelling to an incident or on a "job" etc ( not late for a brew !). I  know of a bobby who stopped another colleague for speeding in a marked patrol car   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
2003 Silver Hardtop with  Black Leather & Toyota body kit.
Added \":D\"e Cat, Toyo\'s-TTE lowering springs, KYB super sports shocks,TTE banana spoiler, Kenwood audio, uprated shifter bushings and heated mirrors.

carl_evs

I regularly pass them on the motorway doing more than 70 and never get pulled. As long as your not lead-footing it they'll leave you to it. All it needs is for one person to go by them and everyone else realises they aren't going to get pulled and go by as well.
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

Anonymous

Quote from: "jonfy"Yep, Police car drivers have to obey the same traffic rules as us mortals, they can only break the speed limit if they are travelling to an incident or on a "job" etc ( not late for a brew !). I  know of a bobby who stopped another colleague for speeding in a marked patrol car   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
Hmmm, bet he was popular   s:| :| s:|

alancdavis

They know what they are doing,,,its a power rush,,,,,,,,,,dident even use his indicater when he pulled off
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

jonfy

Quote from: "Dan M"
Quote from: "jonfy"Yep, Police car drivers have to obey the same traffic rules as us mortals, they can only break the speed limit if they are travelling to an incident or on a "job" etc ( not late for a brew !). I  know of a bobby who stopped another colleague for speeding in a marked patrol car   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
Hmmm, bet he was popular   s:| :| s:|

Chop and wedding come to mind   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2003 Silver Hardtop with  Black Leather & Toyota body kit.
Added \":D\"e Cat, Toyo\'s-TTE lowering springs, KYB super sports shocks,TTE banana spoiler, Kenwood audio, uprated shifter bushings and heated mirrors.

Liz

Quote from: "alancdavis"They know what they are doing,,,its a power rush,,,,,,,,,,dident even use his indicater when he pulled off

Just to please life of bryan I will retort  s:| :| s:|  .  How is it a power rush if they are driving along at the speed limit, and why are people frightened to overtake them?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

spit

I've experienced this many times and it doesn't bother me one bit. I've never seen a situation where everyone filters into the inside lane though Alan - that must've been quite a bizarre sight   s:D :D s:D  .
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

filcee

I thought that motorway coppers had to travel at a speed that allowed them to stop quickly if required, e.g. spotting someone parked on the hard shoulder and needing to pull up and find out if they were OK, and also ensured that they were not creating a hazard (read: rolling chicane) for other motorway traffic.  As a rule of thumb this usually means between 55 & 65 mph.  Also bear in mind that your speedo is probably reading high at 70mph, so they were probably doing nearer 65mph at the time.

I also agree that it would be OK to pass them.  Just don't draw attention to yourself by going past like a scalded cat.  And remember to move to the left lane as soon as you can after overtaking, as it's the middle lane hogs that are the biggest cause of motorway congestion in my experience.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Star_69

Quote from: "filcee"... it's the middle lane hogs that are the biggest cause of motorway congestion in my experience.

Kill 'em all and let God sort it out   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

alancdavis

The point I am making is that this guy knew he had the right to pull any one who passed him for exeding the limit, even though the road ahead was completly clear and any one doing 75/80 was no danger what so ever.
Fact is people are frightend by the police as I am sure it depends on what mood they are in at the time as to weather or not they will pull a motorist.

I recall an instance when it was public Knowlege that traffic police in Swindon were sent a memo to get out and reap some revenue to pay for the new motor cycles the force had just bought.

Sorry to be so bolshi but the attitude really makes me angry some time,,,,,,,,,,  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Tags: