Locking wheel nuts newbie question

Started by Anonymous, February 8, 2004, 12:40

Anonymous

Hi,

My 2 has locking wheel nuts, which have a rotating cap.

I have a adaptor that has three prongs on it, but cant seem to work out how to get the rotating caps off.

The manual doesnt seem to detail it.

Thanks

Anonymous

look for a plastic nut where you locking wheel nut key is, put the plastic stick looking thing thought the plastic nuy, put this on the cover and pull... job done.

Peter Laborne

Or put a good blob of blu-tac on the cover and pull.

Anonymous

Ah thanks, as I suspected I have the plastic nut missing.

Just have the metal key and the t shaped plastic.

Guess Mr T gets a call tommorow.

Thanks

Anonymous

Are we talking here about the small hub cap, or wheel ornament as the manual refers to it? There's certainly nothing in either my toolkit, or the small box that the locking wheel nuts came in, that looks like a removal tool. A trip to my dealer too, I think.

Anonymous

QuoteAre we talking here about the small hub cap, or wheel ornament as the manual refers to it?

They are referring to the cover on one of the four lug nuts which attach the wheel to the car. One has a cap on it to make it look like the other three. It disguises that it is a locking nut underneath.

The 2 bits of plastic could be described as a 'male' and 'female' and fit together  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  to form the tool for removing the false cap.

Always a good idea to check it is still there when receiving the car back after a service/wheel change when they have needed to use it. Saves any arguements later.

Anonymous

Not on mine. Each locking wheel nut - one on each wheel, obviously - is not disguised. It looks like what it is, and I haven't seen any sign of false caps to disguise them.

Anonymous

Well it sounds like you were a bit short changed although ironically there is no need for the plastic tool if you don't have the cap covering the locking nut.

Have a gander at the next 2 you get to see up close.

Anonymous

Thanks, I'll do that. Without looking too suspicious as I crawl around an MR2 on my hands and knees  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

My wheel buts are all undisguised too, was this a revision with the wheel change to 15/16?

Andy

Anonymous

nope, i have an 03 and i have caps on mine, unless they have recently changed suppliers of the nuts. So are you saying you can see the 3 holes where the locking wheel nut goes into on the wheel? They could have just fallen off, i know one of mine has   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"nope, i have an 03 and i have caps on mine, unless they have recently changed suppliers of the nuts. So are you saying you can see the 3 holes where the locking wheel nut goes into on the wheel? They could have just fallen off, i know one of mine has   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

I'm struggling to remember what I can see and my wife has the car.  All I can remember is that it's pretty clearly(I thought) the dull metal of a wheel nut which needs the special "key" to remove it.  All 4 are the same, so I don't think any covers have fallen off in the <3months we've had the car.  

Andy

Anonymous

Sounds like mine. Plain metal barrel with the incised cut-out shape on the face that fits the removal socket.

Anonymous

Here you go:

m http://www.mr2-roadster.co.uk/photos/ge ... 300008.jpg m

The nut on the left if the locking one, as you can see it looks slightly different that bolt looking bit just pulls off so you can fit the key and undo it.

Liz

Two of my metal covers have fallen off and of course Mr T does not sell them indivudually   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  , to save the bother of this and the fact that it looks horrid with some off and some on I am going to buy a new set of locking nuts that don't come with this stupid idea of a cover
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

SteveJ

Quote from: "Liz"Two of my metal covers have fallen off and of course Mr T does not sell them indivudually   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  , to save the bother of this and the fact that it looks horrid with some off and some on I am going to buy a new set of locking nuts that don't come with this stupid idea of a cover

Be careful what you buy Liz - the OEM wheels have a flat face unlike most wheels that have a taper for the nut to pull against. If you use the wrong design, the wheel will work loose.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"Two of my metal covers have fallen off and of course Mr T does not sell them indivudually   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  , to save the bother of this and the fact that it looks horrid with some off and some on I am going to buy a new set of locking nuts that don't come with this stupid idea of a cover

Wouldn't it be cheaper to throw away the remaining two covers, then they'll all look the same  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

ok who votes liz gos topless then   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

Noooooooooooooooo, believe me you wouldn't want that! But thanks for the advice, be a bit worrying if they came loose! the wheel nuts I mean, I am going to get my coat now!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

GSB

Quote from: "markiii"ok who votes liz gos topless then   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Testcard"Sounds like mine. Plain metal barrel with the incised cut-out shape on the face that fits the removal socket.
That's a better description!  Sounds just like mine look.

Anonymous

Quote from: krisclarkukHere you go:

m http://www.mr2-roadster.co.uk/photos/ge ... 300008.jpg m

The nut on the left if the locking one, as you can see it looks slightly different that bolt looking bit just pulls off so you can fit the key and undo it.

Mine don't look like that, no imitation chrome nut over the locking ones.  And my wheels aren't that clean either!

Chris

Quote from: "Liz"Noooooooooooooooo, believe me you wouldn't want that! But thanks for the advice, be a bit worrying if they came loose! the wheel nuts I mean, I am going to get my coat now!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

ok now i'm worried!!   s:? :? s:?  

Liz is going topless to show her nuts off   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I seem to remember my old 02 reg had the same covers, so don't think it's just an 03 thing.  Interesting that some f you have lost them - mine are all fairly stiff to get off but i suppose it depends how many times you take the wheles on and off!!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Slacey

I never lost any of mine, and always had to use the tool to remove them, and I had my wheels on and off quite a bit.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I have all 4, they are the things that twist round and round aint they!

Have you ever noticed how annoying they are in quiet carpark as you can hear them.  Sounds like the sort of things kids put on their bikes to make a noise as their going along.

Tags: