What Tyres when u got your car?

Started by Anonymous, June 23, 2003, 10:00

Anonymous

I got Yokohama's but everyone else i know got Bridgestone Potenza's

Any ideas?

Anonymous

i got Yoko's too.. our guess is that its what ever is cheaper at the time!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Bridgestone Potenza RE040's on mine.

Anonymous

Kris - Do you have the model number, i'll do some kinda comparison chart of reviews!!

If we have been given cheaper tyres i want mine changed under warranty lol!!

James.

Anonymous

ummmm not sure - they are on the car which i dont have right now!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

I think they are A049 or A045... something like that. Im sure someone with a 03 on yokos will correct me with the right code!   s:D :D s:D

Tem

Yokohama A043

AFAIK, they are the primary tyres and used whenever available. Bridgestone RE040 is the backup...

They are pretty similar though, no need to worry about either one  s:) :) s:)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Oh right, that's interesting, guess there has been some kinda shortage of the Yoko's recently then?

dancarbon

Bridgestones on our 2001, and they are still on there 29K later with life left in them! (lots of motorway miles   s:( :( s:(   )

Think we are going to change them soon anyway, what's the recommended rubber?
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

Good point Dan. We have had this thread before somewhere, but there was no definitive answer. I reckon its all down to personal preferance, but after a few people here recommended them, I might go fot the Good year F1's this time round.......

Anonymous

My '02 model had Yokos as stock.  I'm now running Toyo Proxes T1-S and would highly recommend them.

--H--

Tem

Quote from: "John Woodward"I might go fot the Good year F1's this time round.......

Those seem to be pretty good tyres, but you can't get any reasonable sizes for MR2...

Chris

Quote from: "Tem"Yokohama A043

AFAIK, they are the primary tyres and used whenever available. Bridgestone RE040 is the backup...

They are pretty similar though, no need to worry about either one  s:) :) s:)

I've got the yoko's now on my 2003, but had bridgestones on my 2002...
As for which rubber, then opinion is always divided here when this matter comes up, as it depends on what you use them for and how you like the car to feel/drive.  A lot of people go for bridgestone s03's, but a few recently have recommended toyo t1's and eagle f1's.
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

I love my stock Yokos.  They'll do anything in the dry (well, anything I ask of them).  They are however a total nightmare in the wet IMHO, but I haven't got any other RWD roadster type car to compare with, it might just be how it is?

J

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jimbob"I love my stock Yokos.  They'll do anything in the dry (well, anything I ask of them).  They are however a total nightmare in the wet IMHO, but I haven't got any other RWD roadster type car to compare with, it might just be how it is?

J
Toyos are much better in the wet than the Yokos, just as good in the dry but more progressive for some great, safe, sideways fun!

s:D :D s:D  

--H--

Anonymous

TEM Wrote:

QuoteJohn Woodward wrote:
I might go fot the Good year F1's this time round.......

Those seem to be pretty good tyres, but you can't get any reasonable sizes for MR2...

I thought you could Tem? I am on stick wheels on an '00 and they are 185/15 and 205/15 and I am sure you can get these sizes. At least I thought I saw them on the Goodyear website......

filcee

Quote from: "Jimbob"I love my stock Yokos.  They'll do anything in the dry (well, anything I ask of them).  They are however a total nightmare in the wet IMHO, but I haven't got any other RWD roadster type car to compare with, it might just be how it is?

J

Poor wet performance is standard on Yoko's in my experience.  I owned an MX-3 in tha past, and that came with Yoko's.  If the sun even went behind a cloud, the tyres seemed to lose grip.  Or maybe it was my driving   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Anyhoo, I swapped the fronts for Bridgestones (it was a FWD car, so the rears took forever to wear out), and that made a big difference to the grip at the front.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Sam

Quote from: "John Woodward"I thought you could Tem? I am on stick wheels on an '00 and they are 185/15 and 205/15 and I am sure you can get these sizes. At least I thought I saw them on the Goodyear website......

John I started out with the Yoko's but changed over to Goodyear F1's. They were a lot more predictable in the wet, and also when the back does break away now it is a bit more progressive. I was able to get them in the 00 sizes (185/55/15 Front and 205/50/15 Rear) although these were the GSD2 variant (Apparently not as good as the GSD3's - altho these are much more limited in sizes).
Sam

[size=75]\'01 Black Roadster
Leda Adjustable Struts/Eibach Springs/TTE Stabilizer Bars/TRD Bracing/TTE 17" 9-Spokes/Toda Flywheel/Unichip/TTE Exhaust/TTE Front Bumper/TRD Quickshift[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "dancarbon"Bridgestones on our 2001, and they are still on there 29K later with life left in them! (lots of motorway miles   s:( :( s:(   )

Think we are going to change them soon anyway, what's the recommended rubber?

Mate you've done well with your bridggies!  i've clocked up 16k on my '02 car and i'm down to about 3mm.  I reckon my 20k service bill will be quite hefty!

i've been told the bridggies are much better than the yoko's.  The Yoko's have a softer rubber compound so although great in the dry, they are not that great in the wet - esp as you're driving around on greasy damp roads.  I believe Nissan's R34 (Skyline) comes with 040s as standard too.

Martin

Tem

Quote from: "John Woodward"I thought you could Tem? I am on stick wheels on an '00 and they are 185/15 and 205/15 and I am sure you can get these sizes. At least I thought I saw them on the Goodyear website......

The old model had proper sizes...GSD2 or something. But that's not available anymore, at least not over here. And the current model GSD3 only had 195/55/15, the rest being 16" and bigger.

Anonymous

I had the GDS3's on my old alloy's ACE 197's 17" 205/45/17

They were nothing short of awesome, the worst tyres i think were Falken ZE512's they were dangerous!

Anonymous

Can someone remind me of tyre sizes for the 03?

Ta
J

Anonymous

Sam wrote:
QuoteJohn I started out with the Yoko's but changed over to Goodyear F1's. They were a lot more predictable in the wet, and also when the back does break away now it is a bit more progressive. I was able to get them in the 00 sizes (185/55/15 Front and 205/50/15 Rear) although these were the GSD2 variant (Apparently not as good as the GSD3's - altho these are much more limited in sizes).

Hmmm....Ok. Can you still get the GSD2's then or have the GSD3's superceded them? These seem to be a lot of people's choice, but even after all these recommendations, I am still quite confused. I don't want to buy a set of tyres, put them on and then hate them. So, I have a lot of thinking to do..........might just stick with the Bridgies and see what they go like.........  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

markiii

John,

GSD2 and GSD3 are still available though getting the D2 in a size that the better D3 is available in may prove challenging.

I have the D3's on 17" at the moment and they are brilliant. I'm going to try the Eagle Venturas on 15" next as they aren't far off and the D3 don't come in 15" sizes.

I'd say your choice on stock 15" is best kept to

Eagle F1 D2
Eagle Ventura
Toyo Proxies
Bridgestone S03 (You'll have to get 195 for the front though as they don't do a 185)

Any of these will be so much better than the stock RE040 that you won't beleive it until you try it.

Trust me the RE040 is poo in comparison.

Plus the cheapest of these is the Toyo Proxies at £44 each so they can actually be cheaper as well.

w www.mytyres.net w .

Mark.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Mark, that is excellent stuff. Thanks a lot for that. Much appreciated!

Anonymous

John, you know how you always agree with me?...  Well I have Toyo Proxes T1-S.  I think you know what to do...

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

--H--

Tags: