What Tyres when u got your car?

Started by Anonymous, June 23, 2003, 10:00

Anonymous

'Core,

I know you have told me about these Toyo's on a number of occasions, and I do not doubt what you say, but, there are a couple of things that bother me....

1) Surely, with tyres, you pay for what you get. If Toyo's are cheaper, then are they any better?

2) I HAVE heard of them, but they are not a BIG name manufacturer and personally, when it comes to tyres (as lets face it, probably the most important component of your car) I am a bit more inclined to go to a manufacturer of name.

Am I being prejudiced and narrow minded? Or are these reasonable questions to raise? Basically, what pedigree do Toyo have?

Also, as it might be a bit hard for me to get the tyres delivered from somewhere like, say, mytyres.co.uk, I MIGHT have to go to a place like, god forbid, Kwik fit or something, and I guess they won't have these in!!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hardcore"John, you know how you always agree with me?...  Well I have Toyo Proxes T1-S.  I think you know what to do...

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

--H--

can you get these in the new 16" rear size though? i searched that mytyres site and they only gave me 5 types for that size.. none of which were Toyo?!?

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"1) Surely, with tyres, you pay for what you get. If Toyo's are cheaper, then are they any better?
Normally I'd agree, I had heard of Toyo for a while, since TVR took them on as OEM actually, but it was a comprehensive, scientific tyre test done in evo a while back that convinced me to take the plunge and try them out.  All I can say is that I'm very happy with every aspect of the tyre I've experienced, not least the value for money.  The only thing I can't really comment on is they life span, although my rears have done nearly 8,000 miles now and are still looking very fresh while me previous rears (OEM Yokos) lasted just over 10,000 miles.

Quote from: "John Woodward"2) I HAVE heard of them, but they are not a BIG name manufacturer and personally, when it comes to tyres (as lets face it, probably the most important component of your car) I am a bit more inclined to go to a manufacturer of name.
Fair enough, I respect that, I took the gamble with the Toyos and am very happy.  Good enough for TVR, good enough for me!

Quote from: "John Woodward"Am I being prejudiced and narrow minded? Or are these reasonable questions to raise? Basically, what pedigree do Toyo have?
They're good questions, at the end of the day it's up to you. Personally Toyo have proved their pedigree to me.

Quote from: "John Woodward"Also, as it might be a bit hard for me to get the tyres delivered from somewhere like, say, mytyres.co.uk, I MIGHT have to go to a place like, god forbid, Kwik fit or something, and I guess they won't have these in!!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
You shouldn't have any problem getting Toyos from most tyre fitters, they're not that uncommon!!

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"can you get these in the new 16" rear size though? i searched that mytyres site and they only gave me 5 types for that size.. none of which were Toyo?!?
True, you can't get Toyos in the '03 rear size, yet...

--H--

markiii

John,

If you want another opinion on the Toyo's then Liz has them. And considering the greif they got at North Weald they wear rather well as well.

mytyres will deleiver to a qwik fit if you want them to. Though I'd clear the fitting with Kwif fit first, at some point they are going to reaslise they make sod all from just fitting them, so not every outlet may be as co-operative.

Mark.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Awe.....you guys.........(sniff).......you're all just sooooo helpful.....I love you all.................  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Honestly, this is all really good stuff and I thank you all for your input!!! I will check out all the possibilities when it comes round to tyre change time (which, according to the servicing bloke at Mr T this morning, isn't going to be that long away!).

Mind you, after what you said about the Toyo's, they do sound like a good proposition 'Core. One more thing on them. What do they LOOK like? I know it shouldn't be a problem, but I can make a difference. The best tyres I had on my Mini's were Michelin's but they looked pants!

If they are good enough for TVR, then they should be good enough for me too!!!

markiii

Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Hardcore,

Where did you get your Toyo's from? Just checked the website and they look good!!!

Also, am I correct in thinking the fronts on the pre-'03's are 55 profile and the rears 50 profile? Or are they both 50? I think Sam has already said this, but I could have sworn that when I checked (I have a short memory!) the other day that they were both 50. If so, what size do you have on the fronts? Cos Toyo don't do a 185/55/15 in the Proxes.....I think......i'm going to check that again now...............  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

markiii

stock sizes

185/55/15
205/50/15

if you have to use 195 on the front go for 195/50/15

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"One more thing on them. What do they LOOK like? I know it shouldn't be a problem, but I can make a difference. The best tyres I had on my Mini's were Michelin's but they looked pants!
They look great actually, the tread pattern is similar to Goodyear Eagle F1.

Look!...

s:D :D s:D  

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"Hardcore,

Where did you get your Toyo's from? Just checked the website and they look good!!!
I got mine from a local fitter called Motorsport Wheels, they are a chain so check their Web site to see where else they are.  The rears cost me about £45 each, fitted, including VAT IIRC.

Quote from: "John Woodward"Also, am I correct in thinking the fronts on the pre-'03's are 55 profile and the rears 50 profile? Or are they both 50? I think Sam has already said this, but I could have sworn that when I checked (I have a short memory!) the other day that they were both 50. If so, what size do you have on the fronts? Cos Toyo don't do a 185/55/15 in the Proxes.....I think......i'm going to check that again now...............  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Pre '03 fronts are 185/55/15 OEM, Toyo do do this size in the T1-S.

--H--

Anonymous

Mark, thanks again! I must have read funny on mine, cos I could have sworn they said 50 profile. So I CAN get the Toyo's then! Wicked!

Anc cheers for the photo Hardcore. I had a quick look on the website just as you posted that and they DO look good. Like you said, a bit like the F1's, so I might have to go with these. I'll check the site and see where the nearest one is. This is all fantastic info lads. Brilliant!!! Buy you all a pint when I see you (whenever that will be. Not going to JAE!!!!  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  )!!!  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Bugger! Just had a look aty MotorSportWheels and the nearest one to me is in London! the only other feasible one is in Wednesbury in the Midlands, as it isn't actually that far from my home town in Dudley and I can maybe get them fitted there when I go to visit my Dad one weekend maybe?.........  s:? :? s:?  

Might see if I can shop around though and see what I can come up with. I am beginning to like these Toyo's a little more..........especially if they are cheap!

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"I am beginning to like these Toyo's a little more..........especially if they are cheap!
Ah, another tempted on to the dark side!

s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

I was actually first supported in my liking for Toyos (before I bought them) by another '2 owner over on the evo forum, although I don't think he's on here (Anthony, you here??...).

--H--

Anonymous

Well, if they are as good as you reckon and Liz does too, as well as TVR and the blurb on their site is good......they are cheaper too......then hey, why not?!!! If I can get them for the price YOU paid, then I will be WELL pleased!!! I do like the look of them too!

Bit blinkered me............

Anonymous

I don't think you'll be dissapointed if you do go for them.  I will stick with them now but if you didn't like them, for whatever reason, you can easily change after a few thousand miles, just so you feel you've got your money's worth.

But I'm sure that won't happen, they're great!

--H--

Anonymous

Well, by the sound of it, I reckon I have got a buyer if I didn't like them!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Nah, I think the Bridgies are "ok" on at the moment, but I kinda feel I want something with a bit more grip. I know the grip levels with our car is good anyway, but sometimes I do feel it needs a little more "bite". Get what I mean? If they Toyo's are as good as you reckon, then they will give me a little more bite in the dry and by the looks of it, a  lot more grip in the wet. After what happened with my Mk1, I still get paranoid about going out in the wet in this one. I'll hoon it around with the best of them in the dry, but I lose ALL confidence in it in the wet.........hopefully, these will help....

Oh, and I have found a Toyo dealer in the next village along from me! WhooHOO!!!

Anonymous

I don't know what the Toyos are like compared to the Bridgestones 'cos I never had them, but they are much better in the wet than the Yokos.

The Toyos possibly don't have the absolute grip in the dry of the Yokos (in terms of maximum lateral G's, I'm not sure, but they are very close all in all) but they are so much more progressive and predictable that you will probably be willing to approach their limit a lot more than you did with the Yokos, which were, IMHO, scary!

--H--

Anonymous

Well, that is good enough for me, cos it is a good compromise on the Bridgies and I don't have the Yoko's to compare to. I don't think I can go TOO wrong if they are recommended and are a bit more progressive. By the looks of it (and from what you and others have said), the characteristics are pretty much similar to the F1's too, with the F1's maybe edging the out and out grip, but not by a lot, but with the wet performance not as good. I'm quite happy to meet in the middle!!!

Tem

I'm getting the S03 Bridgies myself...couldn't get the 195 (finnish importer doesn't have any and quotes 6-8 weeks wait). Got 205 and 225 instead...hope it turns out ok...

(actually wanted Colways, but they seem to be factory order stuff and I need tyres now)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I fitted Eagle F1's at 15k and have since done a further 15k including 4 track days

Excellent road holding on all surfaces and in the wet

Fronts are still OK (6 mm) but after an airfield day at Binbrook the rears will have to go and be replaced with the same before a driving holiday next month in (sunny) Scotland

markiii

Quote from: "Tem"I'm getting the S03 Bridgies myself...couldn't get the 195 (finnish importer doesn't have any and quotes 6-8 weeks wait). Got 205 and 225 instead...hope it turns out ok...

(actually wanted Colways, but they seem to be factory order stuff and I need tyres now)

Tem, Can you get 225 on the rear 6.5" rim?

Tem

Yeah...205/50 is recommended to have a 5.5-7.5" wheel and 225/50 6-8" wheel. Half an inch wider would probably be better, but can't afford lightweight wheels right now..
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: