Possible life saver to all Jspec a way to read fault codes

Started by Anonymous, May 29, 2009, 11:03

Anonymous

I used to use a similar method to read fault codes on my pulsar never new it worked for Toyotas as well i haven't checked this yet but will be over the weekend if anyone tries it first please post results

m http://codes.rennacs.com/plugins/Toyota ... Avalon.php m

spit

hmmmm not convinced. It was an old trick with the J-Spec Celicas too..... but IIRC its a remnant from the '90s, which their coverage list would tend to support. Mk2 is mentioned. I don't see the MR-S listed.

If you want to be the first to try .,.... go carefully!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

SteveJ

It's the same trick that Tem already posted to help Roger with reading his ABS error code (he never posted the result so dont know if it worked or not)

roger

Quote from: "SteveJ"It's the same trick that Tem already posted to help Roger with reading his ABS error code (he never posted the result so dont know if it worked or not)

Because I never got round to it! Probably try tomorrow unless alison has some jobs for me.   s:? :? s:?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Peter Wright

Quote from: "lazey_boy"I used to use a similar method to read fault codes on my pulsar never new it worked for Toyotas as well i haven't checked this yet but will be over the weekend if anyone tries it first please post results
Ive been trying for 6 years to get somewhere with a cheap reader
I am now in touch with Japan through some Japanese students at the UEA I just hope they will come up with a solution cause I wont pay £500 for a reader that still might not work
Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

spit

You're beating me Peter - I'm currently looking at £504 for the Autoboss 2600+ which might not work.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The manufacturer is supposed to be getting back to me with details of someone they have supplied to in the UK.... worth a punt.

Peter Wright

Quote from: "spit"You're beating me Peter - I'm currently looking at £504 for the Autoboss 2600+ which might not work.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
The only one I can come up with that might work is the Jakoscan
Have got some software installed but cant get a OBD? plug that is compatible
Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

nitro

Quote from: "Peter Wright"
Quote from: "spit"You're beating me Peter - I'm currently looking at £504 for the Autoboss 2600+ which might not work.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
The only one I can come up with that might work is the Jakoscan
Have got some software installed but cant get a OBD? plug that is compatible
Pete
coudnt you ask a decent auto electian to sort you the plug out.or ask paul woods at woodsport
hes brilliant at sorting these sorts of things.  s:) :) s:)

loadswine

I've been looking at likely threads to post this info, so here goes. I met one our members local to me the other week, by the name of Marco and we were discussing reading of codes on Jspec cars, as his is a Jspec.
I remembered that there had been a number of discussions on the topic, but didn't think any member actually had a machine that did the trick.
Anyway, Marco went along to an outfit in Crawley, AFR Tuning, near Gatwick, and they managed to read his codes and interpret for him as well. Apparently they were able to pull various bits of info from the ecu running live. All was well with the exception of the idle control valve, which warrants some attention. He'll metion that when his internet is back up, himself.
Just for reference really, for any member that might need help with a Jspec 2 in this neck of the woods.
I've used AFR before for a full geometry check and found them excellent, so a handy resource for us sarff London and Surrey chaps. Matt Hosier is the chap to speak to, a real enthusiast.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Ilogik

So what is the main issue with getting hold of a j spec reader, not being able to read it or just finding the machine? I can ask my contact at trial if required.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

spit

Its an entirely different protocol Allesio. Not covered by the cheaper readers. Theory is that its the initial "wake-up" command that differs between J-spec protocol and the OBDII variants - cheap readers just can't get comms going.

Tem

Quote from: "spit"Theory is that its the initial "wake-up" command that differs between J-spec protocol and the OBDII variants

IIRC, they run at different speeds and both have a different standard. So they are basically completely different, it's not just a difference in wake-up command. Euro readers won't read them just because they aren't meant to do so. Kinda like you can't understand japanese, even if it's a language just like english is.  s;) ;) s;)

You can google for more details, they are often referred to as EOBD and JOBD.
 m http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

uktotty

[Mod]nb This unit has been tried and does not work with the MR-S ECU - Ste[/Mod]

£70

Diagnostic Codes: read and erase DTCs (both generic and manufacturer specific)
•Display and Graph Real Time Parameters
•View Freeze Frame Data
•I/M Readiness
•MIL Status
•O2 Sensor Test
•Evaporative System Test
•Vehicle Information (VIN, Calibration ID, Calibration verification number)

Key Features

•Stand alone operation
•Large backlit display (160x160 pixels).
•Automatic protocol detection
•Works with all OBD-II/EOBD/JOBD compliant vehicles.
•Supports all legislated OBD protocls: ISO 15765-4 (CAN)
ISO 14230-4 (Keyword Protocol 2000)
ISO 9141-2 (Asian, European, Chrysler vehicles)
J1850 VPW (GM vehicles)
J1850 PWM (Ford vehicles)
•Supports four languages:
English
French
Spanish
German
•Free firmware upgrades

Package Contents

•CReader V unit
•User's Manual
•USB cable (for firmware updates)

Technical Specifications
•Display: Backlit LCD, 2.36×2.36 in (60×60 mm), 160×160 pixels
•Operating Temperature: 32 to 140 F° (0 to 60°C)
•Storage Temperature: -4 to 158 F° (-20 to 70°C)
•Power: 9 to 15 volts, supplied via the diagnostic connector
•Unit Dimensions: 126 mm×88 mm×22 mm (4.96×3.46×0.87 in)
•Package Weight: 12.5 oz (350 g)
•OBD Cable length: 30 in (75 cm)

Mike68

I have got in touch with a company on this to verify it's use on J spec cars and also a possible group buy.
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

E

I'm guessing that if the company will give a money back guarantee that it will work on a J speck then there will be quite a few takers for this.

spit

'fraid it won't be me. I've tried two different units from overseas on sale or return and the insured postage was enough to put me off doing it again.

I'm currently talking to another UK supplier to see if they've cracked it yet  ....

spit

Quote from: "spit"I'm currently talking to another UK supplier to see if they've cracked it yet  ....

..... and they have very kindly offered to send me their C Reader V demo unit to try out. Here's hoping.

uktotty

So that will be the one by Launch that I found then Ste?
Good news

Mike68

Likewise for me, possibly the same company.
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

Mike68

It is the same company and they will send the demo unit to Ste, they are also interested in a group buy. If this unit doesn't work then they have a toyota specific one that should work but is double the cost of the C Reader.
Ex Silver MR-S

spit

Unfortunately..... communication fail   s:( :( s:(  

I've spoken with the supplier - nice guy. We're going to try an alternative before giving up.

Mad Matt

As far as I can see the actual connector is the same (correct me if I'm wrong). So it's just a software problem. In which case the cheap ones you get off e-bay could be made to work if you edit the connect command in one of the perl script based readers and then change the PID mapping accordingly. As long as we can get access to a list of codes it shouldn't be too difficult, or have I missed something?.

Mike68

Good idea but someone would have to buy such a unit to try, then we need someone who can do this modification to see if it works and if it doesnt then the purchase of the reader is a waste of money. In all honesty you lost me at perl script...   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Hopefully the toyota reader that Ste mentioned as the last hope will work, if not dunno what to do. I have a fault light on my MR-S and there's no where local that can help   s:x :x s:x
Ex Silver MR-S

spit

Quote from: "spit"We're going to try an alternative before giving up.

And .... well, I'm not sure. I've managed to get comms (yay) but I'm not sure what the unit is telling me. I seem to have magically acquired a 0100 and a 0110, suggesting a naf MAF, but no CEL..... and the codes reappear after being cleared and then re-reading.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I doubt its the Emanage inflicting these as I'm parked up and engine off with ign on.

On ABS I have 8 codes but no ABS light.... unless the unit is plugged in - in which case the dash light flashes. Again, I can't clear these codes.

When I get a moment, I'll force a few more codes and see if they register.

So.... comms yes, interpretation software....hmmmm.

Dyn-Evo

Not sure if this helps, but I have one of these:

m http://www.auteltech.com/jp701.htm m

Now...Paul at Woodsport pointed me in the direction of this, as it was the ONLY scanner he tried that could read the 1MZ-FE Camry data.

That was, I presume for UK Camry's..BUT..mine is from an AusDM Camry, and it reads that, so its highly likely it will read JDM codes also..?

I didn't get this reader till AFTER I had the conversion done, so have not tested it with the stock UK 1ZZ, but if anyone cares to drop by with either a UK Mk3 or (better) an import, I'll be glad to plug it in and see if it works....  s8) 8) s8)
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

Tags: