Possible life saver to all Jspec a way to read fault codes

Started by Anonymous, May 29, 2009, 11:03

Mike68

I have made an enquiry about these earlier today but not heard back from the retailer as yet. Where abouts are you located?
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

Dyn-Evo

Worthing, Sussex.....

A bit out of the way, I know...  s:D :D s:D
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

shanklylfc

Prob a stupid question, but could you put an ECU from a UK spec car, and that would allow to use a uk reader? or are they all coded to the car they are from or have I just misunderstood the whole thread.

Dyn-Evo

Nah...the codes are stored IN the ECU..so you would be reading the codes from the UK car (if any were stored)

Besides..I'm not sure if the ECU pin-outs are exactly the same (anyone?)..  s:? :? s:?

The protocols are different between JDM and European cars, hence the "basic" readers not being able to communicate.....
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.

spit

I think shankly might have been referring to a permanent switch of ECUs to overcome the problem?

Yes, a swap is possible but I believe the ign key and barrel has to come too. JDM has no immobiliser to worry about.

Will report back tomorrow after I've tripped a couple more codes.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Mike68

My MR-S as an aftermarket immobiliser, can the UK spec ECU have the immobiliser immobilised?
Ex Silver MR-S

Now - Mica Red bug eye Scooby with blobeye front end conversion, Ninja 2 turbo back exhaust, HKS dump valve, prodrive fuel pump, prodrive 3 port turbo solenoid, BC Racing coilovers, K Sport 8 pot front brakes, VF35 turbo, 550 injectors, japspeed front mount intercooloer, 18" Kei RSS alloys, blobeye rear lights, tumble valve delete using JDM inlet manifold. Map completed by Race Dynamix 346 bhp, 340 lb torque

Tem

Quote from: "spit"I think shankly might have been referring to a permanent switch of ECUs to overcome the problem?

Yes, a swap is possible but I believe the ign key and barrel has to come too. JDM has no immobiliser to worry about.

I suppose you'd have to add the 3rd O2 sensor too, to keep the UK ECU happy.

Do JDM cars have the wiring for the 3rd sensor?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

spit

I don't recall seeing it on the loom at the ECU end but i can have a look

Anonymous

Message for Dyn-Evo Ive got MR S with major flat spot of tickover. Im in sunny Wisborough Green West Sussex, if poss I love to have my codes read.
Can zip down any time , it runs nice and strong , just want to get some slick gear changes.

shanklylfc

yes spit
I was thinking, get hold of an ECU from UK car, (I'm sure they are only about £30 on fleabay) and swap it out with you own. because its been off the car, the ECU would have reset itself, then when plugged into the j spec car, start to read and store any diagnostic codes, then allow you to read codes off new ECU. but I dont know anything about this kind of stuff, so just a thought.

Dyn-Evo

Quote from: "spit"I think shankly might have been referring to a permanent switch of ECUs to overcome the problem?

Sorry...MY misunderstanding....!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

spit

Couple of days on and I can confirm that the second unit sent over by Robert of Autotec-Direct does indeed work.  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Its a full diagnostic scanner for most vehicles, but unfortunately the only thing it will do with the MR-S is read ECU and ABS codes and clear them (and the CEL).  s:( :( s:(  

The working software is Toyota and Lexus-specific (v1.2) and comms is initialised through "Mode 1 fast KWP2000" after cycling past "Mode 5 CAN" (whatever that means).

Now, there is a fast "KWP2" protocol with the OBD/JOBD software on this unit .... but it must be a different baud rate to the one prompted by the Toyota software and it doesn't communicate with our ECU.

If we could crack a marraige between the right software and the right protocol there's a chance we'd have a unit with more diagnostic capabilities.

I have a third unit coming next week. Slightly different again.

Mike, If you still have the need and you'd like to drop me a PM with your contact details, Robert is cool about me sending you this reader to get your codes sorted as I'll be shipping all three back together.

Now that we've found something that does at least work, Robert is willing to deal with the Club in hiring the item out to members who need to get their codes read and cleared. An extremely generous offer. Great guy.

Mike68

What a result, hiring a unit is a good way forward, I would imagine these things aren't cheap.

PM sent
Ex Silver MR-S

Peter Wright

This is the one I have been looking at, but at that price I cant buy it to evaluate it

There is a Japanese product which connects to the OBD-II port which can handle JDM Toyota.  This link is shown below.
 m http://www.blitz.co.jp/products/electonic/r-vit.htm m

UK Website  m http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/Product-177.aspx m
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Mike68

Ex Silver MR-S

shanklylfc

Any of these readers able to adjust the mileage on a J spec car? or will UK readers be able to do that.
my speedo needle has broken, and I want a replacement cluster to read the same as my current mileage.
new clusters from Toyota are zeroed and they say the wont adjust it, it will just have to start from 00000.

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "shanklylfc"Any of these readers able to adjust the mileage on a J spec car? or will UK readers be able to do that.
my speedo needle has broken, and I want a replacement cluster to read the same as my current mileage.
new clusters from Toyota are zeroed and they say the wont adjust it, it will just have to start from 00000.

Can't you just replace the needle? They can be removed as you have to take them off to fit different dial covers.

shanklylfc

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"
Quote from: "shanklylfc"Any of these readers able to adjust the mileage on a J spec car? or will UK readers be able to do that.

Can't you just replace the needle? They can be removed as you have to take them off to fit different dial covers.

It is running 10mph out, and when it gets to about 40mph it sticks, and wont move until you stop and turn engine off.
I think this was down to taking the needle off in the first place, not by me previous owner.

Anonymous

Hi,

I don't own an MR2 but I do have a JDM Toyota with what appears to be the same not-OBD diagnostic port. Hence posting here as information on this subject is quite scarce!
Has anyone tried either a Maxidiag JP701 or Memoscan T605 - this latter is supposed to be Toyota-specific and has a long list of functions.

Dyn-Evo

Mine is the MaxiDiag JP701..!  s:D :D s:D  

JazzHead...you have PM!   Sorry for the delay: I forgot I posted here....!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

frogger

After swapping out the engine on a Jap Import MR-S a couple of weeks ago I ran into a problems with the check engine light illuminating.

I used the method of bridging the 2 pins in the OBD2 port, and sure enough the engine light read out the codes on the dash.
The 'tens and units' style / two digit codes obviously arent as descriptive as a full on code reader, but provided more than enough info to point me to the sources of the problems (02 sensor, and camshaft sensor).

This (free) fault code reading technique has never failed me on several Toyotas and Hondas.

Always love how half a paperclip can save the day - a vital tool that everyone should carry!  s:D :D s:D

frogger

Just realised no-one else has yet confirmed the method suggested by the original poster works.
Therefore, to provide a little more detail of the method...

Follow the guidance at  m http://codes.rennacs.com/plugins/Toyota ... Avalon.php m  by bridging the pins with half a paper clip or something of the sort.

Read the flashes of the CEL for engine codes as described in the link, (or for ABS codes, flashes of the ABS light).
(You'll probably need to put your finger over whatever light your not trying to read, as it's quite distracting trying to count CEL flashes with the ABS light flickering away next to it!)

Look up the definition of the code using the link provided - Ignore the fact the link is for different toyota models - the list matches up for many many cars, as it's a standard code list. After getting the code definitions using the link, I did a few google searches for "Toyota Fault Code 28" etc..., and sure enough the same diagnosis exists against code 28 for Supras, Corrolla's, MR2's, etc...

If reading off o2 sensor faults I'm not sure I would trust the code definitions entirely as to which o2 sensor was faulty, but it will certainly tell you if there's a fault with one of the o2 sensors (visual inspection or a £15 multimeter will tell you the rest).

You will have to interpret the codes a little bit sometimes, as they can be a bit general - but it's pretty good at telling you where the fault lies for no cost at all and less than 5 minutes work!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dyn-Evo"Mine is the MaxiDiag JP701..!  s:D :D s:D  

JazzHead...you have PM!   Sorry for the delay: I forgot I posted here....!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Yeah this is the one I asked if it would work on J-spec cars last June and people said no or ignored my suggestion.   l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20667&hilit=+maxidiag l

Dyn-Evo

I sent jazzhead a PM at the end of March, but he hasn't been back online since (PM still in my outbox!).

The JP701 reads my V6 1MZ-FE ECu, and that is a AusDM ECU.
Paul Woods directed me that way, saying it was the only one he had got to read codes from the 1MZ out of about half-a-dozen he tried.....

It shows live data, too.....I reckon it would work on a JDM, as ti is compatible with most Jap marques.......except for Subaru, though, it seems..!

It has several modes: basic OBD2, EODB, and then it has the marque-specific section: I think that it would really come into its own with newer-still cars though (2005-on, maybe?), as I get a fair amount of "unable to read" messages.....  s:? :? s:?  

But.....it DOES read codes, and clear them, and streams data over the CAN-bus, so its at least 60% of the way there...?    s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "frogger"After swapping out the engine on a Jap Import MR-S a couple of weeks ago I ran into a problems with the check engine light illuminating.

I used the method of bridging the 2 pins in the OBD2 port, and sure enough the engine light read out the codes on the dash.
The 'tens and units' style / two digit codes obviously arent as descriptive as a full on code reader, but provided more than enough info to point me to the sources of the problems (02 sensor, and camshaft sensor).

This (free) fault code reading technique has never failed me on several Toyotas and Hondas.

Always love how half a paperclip can save the day - a vital tool that everyone should carry!  s:D :D s:D

I tried this and the ABS light not the engine light was flashing, seemed to be a regular thing not a code.
The multimeter led me to Sensor 1 Bank 1 so decided to fit aftermarket manifold/header at the same time.
I have removed the sensors and the Pre Cats seem to be in good condition after 77k on a 2000 car but the new header is going on in the morning(if it stops raining)

Tags: