Possible life saver to all Jspec a way to read fault codes

Started by Anonymous, May 29, 2009, 11:03

mrzwei

Quote from: "DJButler"Always love how half a paperclip can save the day - a vital tool that everyone should carry!  s:D :D s:D

Brilliant, I love the technology, and my favourite quote is ' if your only tool is a hammer, then every problem starts to look like a nail'.  You've just renewed my faith in logic. Anyone want to buy my code reader?   s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

In case it helps, I have now tried a JP701 and an MS509 unit on my JDM Will Vi.
The MS509 would read codes just fine, but would not get anything on the 'OBD' live data setting.
The JP701 coudn't connect at all. I think that's how it was anyway.

I haven't had a chance to test this but I wonder if the problem is that pin 4 (chassis ground) is populated but pin 5 (signal ground) isn't. And the OBDII standard is for pin 5 to be there. So joining the two might provide the missing connection for a wider range of scanners to work...

drbailey

Well I am working in Japan for a couple of weeks and have found a tuning shop that sells the Launch Creader V code reader and reset device... I spoke with them and they have confirmed it will read a J spec MRS from years 1999 - 2009. So I have taken the plunge and orderd one.... 16800 Yen about £120.00.... They say they are not the normal handset but are unique to the Japanese market and marked Creader V -JP. Let's hope.. If it works I will be in the Portsmouth area.... I spoke with Launch in the UK and they say that it is unlikely they could get hold of the J spec version...

Dave B

uktotty

Will it all be in Kanji though???

drbailey

No user interface is English.....

drbailey

Just got back and I can confirm that I can now read and clear CEL codes on J Spec cars....  I am in the Portsmouth area....

SimonC_Here

Brilliant result!

Peter Wright

Quote from: "drbailey"Just got back and I can confirm that I can now read and clear CEL codes on J Spec cars....  I am in the Portsmouth area....
Good for you, but might it be as you bought it from Japan that its Jdm only and the ones on ebay for less than half the price you paid are for the US and Europe market
Be grateful if you could list any identifying marks, numbers etc from your machine so I will be sure its the same for all markets so I dont make a mistake if I buy one
Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

drbailey

Hi!,
      The unique identification of my unit is the fact that printed on the front are the words Creader - JP...

hope this helps.. I spoke with the UK distributor in Plymouth to see if they can get the -JP version and although they said they would ask it was unlikely that they would be able to get it.... so I didn't take the chance and bought in Japan....

thanks
Dave Bailey

Anonymous

does the JP unit do 'live data' as well?

I'm wondering how these scanners do firmware updates and if the JP firmware could be extracted and used to 'upgrade' a bog standard Creader-V to JP spec, if you see what I mean.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Wright"This is the one I have been looking at, but at that price I cant buy it to evaluate it

There is a Japanese product which connects to the OBD-II port which can handle JDM Toyota.  This link is shown below.
 m http://www.blitz.co.jp/products/electonic/r-vit.htm m

UK Website  m http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/Product-177.aspx m

Just to advise I picked up one of these and it does connect and gets the 'live data' from my JDM Toyota. It was amazing to see something just plug in and work! As I write, there is one on Ebay for a bargain price.
The R-VIT does diagnostic fault codes in a limited way,  displaying the most recent code as far as I can see.

Anonymous

Just wanted to add this from another post as this may be the answer.

Quote from: "ZeroQI"hummm... WRONG!!!!!! I have a japanese MR-S SMT 6 speed from 2003, and can communicate with the ECU fully
I did try a a bluetooth ELM327 i had and it could connect but didn't show any error codes (just could display some dials)

I have used TechStream 7.12.000 in Euro mode (no serial to enter!!!) under an XP virtual machine (tried miniXP crippled version but didn't work, use standard xp) through VMware player (4GB partition 256mb ram), bridged network mode to be able to download java. I wasn't sure subsequent versions would support the usb adapter and couldn't find the latest version anyway (this one from 2012)... Here is the one i purchased:

m http://www.ebay.ie/itm/280948418923?ssP ... 4636wt_919 m
Description: 2012 Mini Vci For Toyota TIS OEM Techstream V7.10.030 Single Cable(since 1996 )
Cost:£18.89 free shipping AND tracking number (2-3 week delivery)
Seller:likebuyshop2010

It detected the model: ZZW / 1FE / -208 and show all error codes o/
I have errors: p1646 p1647 p0812

SMT Specific P1646/1647 No communication between ECM and and transmission ECU
P0812 Reverse gear – input circuit malfunction Wiring, poor connection, ECM/TCM
when using the tests for the speed indicator the reverse is not shown. Gear test show reverse OK and reverse captors were both on in the freeze frame

According  m http://www.project-mr2.nl/Manuals/Manua ... ission.pdf m  , Error P0812 seem to be caused by one or more of:
   . Shift stroke sensor
   . Select Stroke Sensor
   . Backup light Switch 1
   . Backup light Switch 2
   . Open or short in Reverse Switch circuit
   . Transmission Control ECU
   . Open or short in Shift Stroke Sensor circuit
   . Open or short in Select Stroke Sensor circuit
   . GSA
   . Shift and Select lever shaft

Will check freeze frames and test one by one the sensors

Peter Wright

This one states mr2 spyder  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Xtool-PS ... 460c2e06fb m
Might get it at that price, any info anyone
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

bluesmoke

Holy thread revival!

Any decent, cost effective Jspec code readers emerged since the last post to this thread?

Jay67

I've got one of these, works fine  m http://tinyurl.com/k2zewaa m
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

bluesmoke

Quote from: "Jay67"I've got one of these, works fine  m http://tinyurl.com/k2zewaa m
Can you clear codes etc. with it too?

Jay67

Yeah you can clear codes, that's it though, read them and clear them, every little helps though  s;) ;) s;)
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

Tags: