Knocking on Full Lock

Started by Anonymous, February 9, 2004, 17:15

Anonymous

My MR2 (2000 model) is sitting (as I type) at my local garage with the mechanics scratching their heads. They can hear the knocking noise but cannot find what the problem is. Can anyone here help? The knocking is coming from the front end (it seems)   s:? :? s:?   and happens on full lock although the mechanic says that he can hear it whilst driving at a slow speed in a straight line!

I'd appreciate ANY advice  

Ta

Anonymous

markiii

Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Thank you and there's me thinking that I HAD searched the forums PROPERLY.

<hangs head in shame>
  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

markiii

it helps when you know the threads by name. We spend too much time on hear  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Thanks again...I've printed off all relevant pages and I'm about to brave the weather and trundle off down to the garage with papers in hand and probably pee the mechanic off!!.  I need to change the front tyres so I'll give that a go first.  Being a right girlie.......Can I change the make of tyres on just the front or is it advisable to stick with all 4 the same?  The car currently has Bridgestones on at the mo.

Ta   s:D :D s:D

markiii

NEVER mix tyres on this car.

sorry for shouting but you will end up in a hedge.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

My suggestion would be change all 4 to Toyo Proxies.

If you use  w www.mytyres.net w  it will be cheaper than just doing teh fronts for Bridgestones anyway.

Anonymous

I need to be shouted at sometimes   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  . I didn't think that was a good idea.  Thanks for the advice and website info.

Anonymous

Checked out that website and will be purchasing said tyres this week.

Blimmen 'eck - How cheap!?!?!?!

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

markiii

and damn good as well.  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

Due to popular request I was trawling the old threads on this subject to add to the sections's FAQ. I saw that cstevens mentioned a similar issue which was fixed in a Ford by changing the anti-roll bar.

Has anyone who has suffered from this had their front anti-roll bar checked on their car as part of this?

To add my 2p worth I have only suffered a clonk twice, both recently when turning in snow in my F1s.

I have had the creaking sound when turning out of the parkway but lubrication on the suspension mounts solved it.

Anonymous

Bizzare! I found this thread after mine had been in for it's 20k service, 4 new wheels, new speaker, knocking on full lock the normal stuff.
Anyway the knocking has been cured but the explanation I was given was that it was the brake discs causing the problem. They've reground them, the outer edge was catching, and done some other work on the brakes, I'm sorry can't remember what  s:( :( s:(  But they certainly never mentioned any of the other cures listed.

dancarbon

Quote from: "lilylaville"Blimmen 'eck - How cheap!?!?!?!
Get a quote from Toyota for tyres - make's them seem even cheaper!
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

Just a quick thank you.  Had all four Bridgstone tyres replaced with Toyo proxes a few days ago and the knocking has disappeared   s:o :o s:o  .

Thanks to markiii for the recommendation  w www.mytyres.net w  

I am now a very happy bunny   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

woohey! another Toyo convert!!   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Slacey

Quote from: "swp"woohey! another Toyo convert!!   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
More than you think Sandi... Phil4 and myself have Toyo's on the way too!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Just make sure the pressures are correct - running around on 26psi rears is not a good idea!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Now they are up to pressure they simple ROCK!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

so what pressures are you running then Kris? (I am now also the proud owner of a tyre pressure guage   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

Anonymous

Im on stock pressures for the 03

26 front
32 rear

This seems ok to me, might put an extra 1psi in the fronts as they seem a little soft, but its grippy as hell!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Liz

How long have I been saying about the Toyo's, err July last year when I had them fitted... at last you are all seeing the light, they are truly great, and now I have people to back me up on this!!

Just been flamed for this comment so I am going to sit quietly in a corner!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

aaronjb

All bow to the great tyre-chooser Liz  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:   s;) ;) s;)

Had Toyo's on my last car (the one that's still languishing in the garage), and thought they were fantastic.. And they'll definitely be my next choice on the '2 (assuming they come in the right sizes for pre '03's.. I'm sure they do)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Im on stock pressures for the 03

26 front
32 rear

This seems ok to me, might put an extra 1psi in the fronts as they seem a little soft, but its grippy as hell!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
While we're on the subject of tire pressures, I had a strong feeling that my pressures were down on the rear so went down to the local Shell garage to have them checked.  According to the crappy foot pump (you can see where this is going...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ) the pressures were fine.

Anyway, the other day I picked up a digital tyre pressure reader from Halfords and when I did the readings on that my rears were down to 28psi and the fronts 22psi!!!!

So off I went back to the Shell garage alternately inflating with the foot pump and then checking the readings with the gizmo from Halfords...

All is now well.  Tyres are stock Yokos FWIW.

Moral of the Story: Buy a quality digital pressure reader and check at least once a week....!

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

aaronjb

Quote from: "Liz"Just been flamed for this comment so I am going to sit quietly in a corner!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Who's flaming? Weren't me.. honest guv.. that wasn't a flame  s:) :) s:)  Merely an agreement.. (Oh, and poking a bit of fun at your  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  Hey, it's Sunday afternoon and I'm bored and ill!  s:) :) s:)  )..

Aaron  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Liz

Big raspberries to you!!!!....now back on topic - sorry   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tem

Since "everyone" keeps praising the Toyo's in this thread...what's your opinion about them compared to some other tyres? Stock or other.

Cause in "THE tyre thread", everyone who had a comment on Toyo's kept saying they have less grip than the stock Yoko's on dry. I went from Yoko's to S03 and they sure have a lot more grip than stock Yoko's on dry...the best way to describe them is that their wet grip is equal to Yoko's dry grip  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  But then again, I changed the tyre change, so can't really do a straight comparison...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: