Knocking on Full Lock

Started by Anonymous, February 9, 2004, 17:15

Anonymous

Honestly...!  You two!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

aaronjb

I can't comment on the various tyres on the MR2, but I've had a few different ones on the 300ZX;

I found that Bridgestone S03's were excellent, wet and dry, but had a little more road-noise and a little less grip than their predecessor the S02's.

The Toyo's took a while to get rid of their release agent, but once they'd been run in (leaving the tyre place sideways seemed to do that!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) they easily had as much grip in the dry as the S03's, maybe a shade less in the wet but still very good.

They felt a touch more 'snappy' in the dry, but not by much, and were nice and progressive in the wet (ahem  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ). But at the price (they were considerably cheaper than the S03's when I got them) you really couldn't argue.. Performance per £, they were my top choice.

(Had a miscellany of other tyres too - Falken's, which were great when new, but lasted far too long - after a year or so they lost all their grip in the wet, to the point they were extremely frightening! Pirellis, which had about as much grip as a greased monkey.. etc)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"But at the price (they were considerably cheaper than the S03's when I got them) you really couldn't argue.. Performance per £, they were my top choice.

Ignoring the price, which would you get?

(S03's are cheaper over here)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Changed tyers and its GONE !

The place I got my tyers from couldnt understand it ?

SPOOKY

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "aaronjb"But at the price (they were considerably cheaper than the S03's when I got them) you really couldn't argue.. Performance per £, they were my top choice.

Ignoring the price, which would you get?

(S03's are cheaper over here)

Oops - sorry Tem - forgot about you there  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

I think if price was no object I'd get the Toyo's, as they were more progressive in the wet (which was when I always needed the help!).

That's based on road driving only though btw - I can't vouch for how they stand up on track.. I believe a couple of other 300ZX owners had taken their cars on track with Toyo's though, and they lived quite well, which is pretty good considering how heavy the 300ZX is (3000lb or thereabouts).

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

mph

Up at Anglesey, I had the fun of driving markiii's car on track which had Toyo Proxies fitted.

I note he had upped the pressures fairly considerably as the sidewalls were pretty soft to avoid them turning over. As just, they seemed to perform remarkedly like my A539s - not huge amounts of grip but pretty communicative & progressive. After a shortish session and not overly pushing it (first time out in someone else's car and first time on track in a manual!) I was fairly concerned over how hot the tires were. The narrow tread pattern, while looking like they'll be great in the wet, generated quite a lot of heat in the dry; I could see them quite easily starting to melt if were out in then for a longer/harder period. To sum up, probably worse than 539s on track, but likely to be much better (grip) on the road.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"How long have I been saying about the Toyo's, err July last year when I had them fitted... at last you are all seeing the light, they are truly great, and now I have people to back me up on this!!

Just been flamed for this comment so I am going to sit quietly in a corner!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

How much were your Toyo's. Just wondered. Im on bridestone potenzas. Are Toyo's alot better then. Is the wear on the inside fronts an issue??

Anonymous

Just get the toyos - enough said! You can get them from  w www.mytyres.net w  cheap as chips and are 10000000 times better than the stock rubber.

markiii

£168 for 4 inc vat

says it all really
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

Going to have a whole new set of Toyos put on tomorrow - told my dealer about the price from my-tyres and he was going to charge me £10 a tyre to fit making £208 all in, have managed to haggle and he is doing the whole set, inc vat and balancing for £200!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

zud

Quote from: "mph"I was fairly concerned over how hot the tires were. The narrow tread pattern, while looking like they'll be great in the wet, generated quite a lot of heat in the dry; I could see them quite easily starting to melt if were out in then for a longer/harder period.

When we were at North Weald, Andy (1stLotus) made a similar comment about the Toyos... great tyres but melt on the track (or words to that effect).  But he still had then on his Elise... and that seemed to handle well enough when he was driving it (slight understatement!!)  I'd have fitted them instead of F1s  if I'd had a quote like Liz's (£200 v £297).  But I'm v. happy with the F1s all the same.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Slacey

<MOD> Can we get back on to the original topic now please guys, there are plenty of other threads for tyre discussion. Thanks </MOD>
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

mrnik

Re:
Quote from: "Andy S"http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=2482
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=2088 m

Might be of help?

Andy
Quote from: "markiii"http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=2088
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=2482 m
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1928 m

and the list goes on.

these links dont seem to work..  s:( :( s:(

ekimq

Quote from: "mrnik"these links dont seem to work..  s:( :( s:(

More symptoms of the forum change. When you see this style of link, just add in "phpBB3/" to give (for example)  l viewtopic.php?t=2482 l  and as if by magic the link works. It even displays oddly now - the viewtopic.php?blah is not what I typed - hover over it to see what I entered. The software obviously recognises it and presents it differently.

Anyway like I said, just stick "phpBB3/" in when you see these old-style links. (Edited because my explanation wasn't very clear!)

So we get:
Quote from: "Andy S"l viewtopic.php?t=2482 l
 l viewtopic.php?t=2088 l

Might be of help?

Andy
Quote from: "markiii"l viewtopic.php?t=2088 l
 l viewtopic.php?t=2482 l
 l viewtopic.php?t=1928 l

and the list goes on.
Mike
The sun is out, get your top off!

Tags: