TTE turbo to 2ZZ turbo track car

Started by STP, June 1, 2009, 23:14

STP

Hi All,

Just thought I'd give you an update on my MR2 TTE turbo I bought Jan this year. It's my first MR2 and I've got to say I've been hugely impressed. I've driven 6000 miles and done 7 track days and I've enjoyed every mile. Trouble with track days though is they lead you down that slippery slope of modifications and it's that slope I've well and truly slid down! The car was a little tired when I bought it but I'm well under way sorting that out! Every track day lead to more and more mods and a new vision for the car was formed, a 2ZZ turbo charged, stripped out dedicated track/race car. The project is now well under way at Rogue.

Modifications i've carried out over past 6 months

Brake pads – I initially fitted Carbotec Panther Plus front and rear. After wearing them out in 5500miles I've switched to Panther XP8. Both sets are awesome, the XP8 exceptionally so, can't believe the braking power from a standard set up. Panther plus faded after very hard sustained use on track, hence why I've switched to Panther XP8.

Suspension

CHE rear track arms, trailing arms and control arms.
Front polybushes
Cusco front and rear brace
Whiteline drop links

Interior

Removed soft top, radio, central console, rear storage, spare wheel and surrounding plastic.

Fitted 300mm Sparco steering wheel. Looks great, weights the steering nicely and most of all I now don't bang my legs with my hands when putting on large amounts of lock.

I've been stock piling parts over the past 6 months and as of 2 weeks ago fitting was started by Rogue (The TTE turbo kit and Tein SS are coming off );

2ZZGE engine
6 speed gear box and TRD quick shift
OS Giken flywheel and twin plate clutch
Link G4 ecu
CHE cast iron turbo manifold (ceramic coated)
Garrett GT28RS turbo (ceramic coated)
Moroso oil pan and accusump
CWX oil pump gear
Charge cooler
Gearbox cooler (water to oil)
Oil cooler (Water to oil)
525 injectors
255 flow fuel pump, fuel return line etc
6 point roll cage
Recaro Furious seats
BC Racing RM Coilovers
Varley Red Top 15
ARP bolts
Tarox G88 discs
Race Technology Dash 2 and data logger (fits nicely in the MR2 Sat Nav pod)
Toyota replica body kit and duck tail spoiler.
Switching from Yokohama Advan Neova to Toyo 888. Neova's are superb for a road track compromise but the time has come to switch to track rubber.
All brackets and packaging being designed and fitted by Rogue

The information I've gathered from MR2ROC and Spyderchat has been invaluable in helping me make decisions on where to go with this project. I'm currently looking at news wheels and entering that mine field of offsets!

I'm currently on paternity leave so I'm not on line that regularly so I've asked Patrick from Rogue to add some pictures and updates on progress.
2 x road legal MR2 race cars. Monocraft GT 300 replica with 2GR-FE V6 engine and class winning black MR2 Championship roadster

Ilogik

without sounding like a vulture :p are you selling your old turbo? sounds like a great build, you are in good hands with Rogue. Get some piccys up of the beast! Will it be the first turbo 2zz mk3 in the uk?

Those carbo's must of got some serious abuse! Great pads though, how is the noise on the xp8's?
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Star_69

Sounds like an awesome project. You've definitely ticked all the boxes on the spec sheet.   s:D :D s:D  

Standard compression?

Look forward to following this. Keep us posted!
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

custardavenger

As the others said. sounds like it will be awesome. A proper track machine. Hope you can keep this updated and look forward to pics. You definitely have picked the right components to make an great set up.

What led you to wanting to cool the gear box oil? Have you found it get very warm on track use?

Also looking at the dash module you've picked. looks like a nice unit. Will in integrate with the link?
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Rogue

Hi All,

Simon has asked me to contribute to this thread with pictures and technical information. I'll do my best for you all, but as this is a race project there may be some information that has to remain confidential. The design brief is that the car should be flexible enough to be used for a variety of different tasks - trackdays, short sprints (~20 minute wheel to wheel races) and endurance racing. One of the key focuses therefore has been on the oil control systems, hence the laminar flow coolers and accusump. The requirement for a gearbox oil cooler comes on the back of our experiences with the C64 gearbox in our Britcar racer, which returned from race duty with scorched internals!

Pictures:

The project begins. All rear panels are stripped off the car as we'll be working extensively in this area:

1ZZ-FE Engine and TTE turbocharger in situ:

Dropping the engine and gearbox from the car (the more observant of you will notice a guest appearance by Philster's rear bumper):

TTE turbocharged engine bundle, in need of a new home!

2ZZ engine with Moroso Oil Pan, modified exhaust manifold and GT28 ball bearing turbo installed:

OS Giken Flywheel mounted:

Moroso Oil Pan, and oil take-off sandwich plate:

Polybushed engine mounts:

Mocking up chargecooler pipework using a mk2 MR2 core with engine dummy fitted:

Stripping out dashboard and interior:

Modifying the heater system to remove air conditioning section but still have functionality:

Trial fitting new rear spoiler on another roadster with engine cover still installed!

More interior stripping:

Carbon airbox mounted behind rear lamp:

Pipework from airbox to turbocharger:

Pipework from airbox to intake vent:

Air feed to engine bay is blanked off:

Intake feeds pipework:

Interior sound deadening removal:

Fuel tank has been removed:

Removing paint and sealant in preparation for roll cage instalation:

Engine test fit shows pipework from chargecooler to throttle body installed, laminar flow oil coolers, cusco catch can and oil lines to turbocharger:

I've got more pictures to post, which I'll do when I have more time. Right now I've got Roadster race car to finish preparing for this weekend!

Patrick

markiii

very very nice

so how much for teh engine and turbo bundle?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

All i can say is MONSTER!

You'll need a pair of these to wear to do it justice (carefull Russ, they're right up your street)

Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

STP

Thanks for all your replies and to Patrick for the pics. Between Patrick and I we'll keep you updated on progress throughout the build. Just can't wait until it's finished! It'll certainly test my driving skills and probably show me I can't drive!

I've been doing track days now for approx 4 years and if you get serious along with brakes and suspension cooling is one of the most important areas to pay attention to if you want the car to last (I've found this out the hard way!).  

For now I'm keeping standard compression and low boost. Ultimately I will be looking to lower the compression to run 300bhp+  and hopefully race the car next year. For now I just want to get the car up and running!

The brakes did get some serious abuse, even the rear ones were shot. I can't take full credit to all the brake wear, that's down to a guy called Eugene O'brien. I've been getting a lot of tuition this year and Eugene can certainly drive! I can't recommend the carbotecs enough, they may be pricy but they are exceptional. The XP8's seen to be virtually fade free even after hours of track abuse. They do squeal but not enough to bother me. If you were doing lots of stop/start driving they may get on your nerves.

I will be selling the TTE turbo kit and Super Street suspension with EDFC, but I'm not sure on price yet. I think the kit is now fully off the car, I'll check with Rogue. Anyone interested can email me on  e mailto:dclsphillips@tiscali.co.uk">dclsphillips@tiscali.co.uk e . Due to the recent arrival of my little girl I'm only on email and the forum sporadically.
2 x road legal MR2 race cars. Monocraft GT 300 replica with 2GR-FE V6 engine and class winning black MR2 Championship roadster

Ilogik

christ your moving quick Patrick! Will this be a UK first for a 2ZZ with a turbo?

Is this the CF air box you mentioned to me mate?

muffdan

first dibs on the super streets please  s;) ;) s;)
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Rogue

Some of the behind-the-scenes CAD work. Oil cooler mounting bracket:

Proposed dimensions of chargecooler, including location and orientation of pipework:

Proposed chargecooler support bracket:

Patrick

campbell

patrick, what package is that you're using?  i use ProE and Inventor
Ex cars
1983 VW Polo 1.0, 2000 Renault Clio 1.2, 1984 VW Mk2 Golf Gti, 1992 Citroen AX Gti, 1989 Mk1 MR2 T-bar, 1992 Mk3 VW Golf Gti, 1998 Mk 4 Ford Fiesta D, 1996 S2 106 XND, 1989 ST185 Toyota Celica GT-Four (Ltd Edn), 1998 Mk3 Golf Gti, 1994 Ford Mondeo Si, 1991 Mk2 Toyota MR2, 1990 205 Gti, 1994 ST205 Toyota Celica GT-Four, 2000 Renault Laguna DCi, 1997 VW Golf Colour Concept, 1999 Vauxhall Corsa Sport, 1998 106 GTi, 1999 Mk4 VW Golf TDI ...

...Current
2003 BMW 530i Champagne II Ltd Edn
2001 Mk3 Toyota MR2
1998 Corsa Redtop (For Crail also for sale!)

custardavenger

Wow. Proper engineered parts. Man after my own heart.

I take it it's a totally custom charge cooler? If so where are you getting your cores from?

What direction is the flow through the heat exchangers? and which is which? Are you adding an electric pump for the gearbox oil?

Loving this project. If only I had the cash.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

uktotty

Wow that shorts are amazing!!

Anyways, awesome car, lots of cool stuff.
So will this be trailered to races or road legal?

What you doing with all the bits you took out?

STP

It's my car and even i think the shots are amazing, it's looking really good.

The car will be road legal and driven to the track and used at weekends. Next year i'm looking at racing it, i my change my mind about keeping it road legal at that point. Proplem at the moment is i don't have a trailer and don't have anywhere to keep one so i'm going to need to drive it!

I'm going to be sell a great deal of the parts that come off. As i'm on paternity leave and the project is moving so fast i'm going to look at what i keep and what i sell in a few weeks time. The TTE turbo kit and Tein SS will be sold straight away though. The Tein's will be off the car in a couple off weeks.

philster_d

Is that aircon butchered now or fittable in another car?    *circles*

heh,

Nice plan STP. Best of luck with that.

Philster.

spit

I'm liking this very much   s8) 8) s8)
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

ChuckyBru

Wow, this is going to be a monster... make sure you keep us updated on this one  s:D :D s:D
[size=85]Charlie
2001... with added
TTET. [/i]
My fuel consumption.[/size]

steveybmr2-173

very impressive!  s:) :) s:)  and some great work there by the guys at Rogue, maybe a future MR2 Only Magazine feature?

Ilogik

Quote from: "steveybmr2-173"very impressive!  s:) :) s:)  and some great work there by the guys at Rogue, maybe a future MR2 Only Magazine feature?

Told you it was worthy steve :p

northernalex

Just read this, truly amazing!
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

spynish

Wow. I'll follow this thread since is on my plans being the first 2zz turbo in Spain...   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  

Impacient to see more...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Rogue

Some more pictures:

Aluminium box section charge cooler support frame, designed to be structurally very strong whilst at the same time being very light weight. This part of the project is in the early stages, and we are waiting for the custom charge cooler nest to arrive to proceed.

Final Chassis preparation prior to installing roll cage:

Front end clean-up work - getting rid of unwanted bracketry and installing fasteners for new.

Stone chip paint to protect exposed bodywork. The car will be equipped with a flat underbody sheet, but gravel gets everywhere!

Engine bay packaging and weight distribution considerations mean that we are locating the battery to the front of the car. We're building a bespoke lightweight aluminium frame to hold a plastic battery box containing a Varley RedTop racing battery:

Patrick

Rogue

Roll cage trial fitted prior to welding in the feet:

Welding the roll cage feet in place:

The much anticipated Rogue Motorsport fan kit:

Laser cut parts arrive - some parts need bending into final shape:

SimonC_Here

Ohh I like that fan kit.

Tags: