TTE turbo to 2ZZ turbo track car

Started by STP, June 1, 2009, 23:14

markiii

but does it blow down or up?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "markiii"but does it blow down or up?

Looks like up from the blades

markiii

fighting natural airflow then
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Rogue

Quote from: "markiii"fighting natural airflow then

Airflow on this car will be fully managed, and like most race cars will be pulled from underneath the car and out of the top. We can supply fan kits with either puller or pusher fans installed.

ChuckyBru

That fan kit really does look like a well thought out and quality piece of kit... much like all the other work being done.  Can't wait to see the figures for this car when you're all done.
[size=85]Charlie
2001... with added
TTET. [/i]
My fuel consumption.[/size]

enid_b

this is going to be the mutts nutts. i want one.
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

STP

Quote from: "enid_b"this is going to be the mutts nutts. i want one.

I hope so! I'm counting down each day, can't wait to take it for a run.

I'm not going to chase horsepower with the car (but somewhere in the high 200's will do!). I want to strike a balance of handling and reliability then develop the car over the next year. May look at a build block over the winter but getting it on the road is the main priority.
2 x road legal MR2 race cars. Monocraft GT 300 replica with 2GR-FE V6 engine and class winning black MR2 Championship roadster

muffdan

I'd love to hear why you decided to go with a turbo'd 2zz rather than a bigger/better turbo'd 1zz. Being an ex TTE owner myself, I recently had to make this desicion myself and went with a 1zz!

Is it a stock 2zz or does it have modified internals?

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

STP

Quote from: "muffdan"I'd love to hear why you decided to go with a turbo'd 2zz rather than a bigger/better turbo'd 1zz. Being an ex TTE owner myself, I recently had to make this desicion myself and went with a 1zz!

Is it a stock 2zz or does it have modified internals?

Jason

I've followed you're post and it's a serious bit of kit you're creating! Sorry about the issues you've hit on the way but it seems like you are almost there. I'd be interested in seeing your car when it's completed.

Regarding engine choice, if Toyota made an engine that revved to 8000rpm, sounded like a 6 cylinder, weighed the same as a 4 cylinder, was readily available and didn't cost the earth then I'd have gone for that! As they don't I weighted up pros and cons and used a lot of personal preference.

My original intention was to modify my 1ZZ but after it started burning a fair bit of oil and the gearbox started crunching I was able to start from a blank canvas. As I do a lot of track days the one characteristic I didn't like about the 1ZZ was it was out of breath by 5500rpm. I wanted something that could rev and give a real sports car feel on track. I've driven a few Elise's and I liked the character of the 2ZZ. Initially I'm not looking for big bhp and the 2ZZ with stock internals is able to give me what I'm looking for. Over the winter I may look at internals but for now I just want to get it up and running.

I've modified a few cars in the past and from my experience the problems start when you tackle everything at once. I learnt this the hard way with a number of failed engines after a few thousand miles that were supposed to be 'bullet proof'. There is always some small detail that's missed which ends up being terminal. Rogue has also given me a huge amount of help. They strongly advised from the beginning to build and set the car up on a stock engine and develop it from there. I'm likely to buy another 2ZZ block and have it built over the winter. This allows me to run the 2ZZ turbo set up for a few months to make sure it's right.
2 x road legal MR2 race cars. Monocraft GT 300 replica with 2GR-FE V6 engine and class winning black MR2 Championship roadster

muffdan

Cool, I'd love to see it when it's done! I've had Silverstone Performance's Corrola with the supercharged 2zz a few times. Very nice engine setup! Loads of torque and of course you could rev the nuts off it. I must admit I'm a little worried about your internals for you! I've heard of quite a few turbo'd 2zz failures on stock internals. I'm sure its all dependent on the boost levels etc and I'm sure Rogue know exactly what they're doing!

I'm looking forward to it's completion. Have you thought about joining us at Anglesey come the end of October?

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Rogue

Quote from: "muffdan"I must admit I'm a little worried about your internals for you! I've heard of quite a few turbo'd 2zz failures on stock internals. I'm sure its all dependent on the boost levels etc and I'm sure Rogue know exactly what they're doing!

The key here is to set sensible goals and sensible limits - the fuelling and turbo on the car will be more than capable of destroying the engine in fairly short order if we push too hard too quickly! Since there's nothing wrong with the 2ZZ we've started with we reasoned that there's nothing really to be lost in running it stock and finding the limits. The most likely failures will only damage components that would be changed or modified anyway, and if the engine turns out to be capable of running the power levels that Simon wants then he's saved the price of a built engine. That said, Simon's requirement for reliability suggests that we'll be building a forged engine anyway but having a second engine core available to swap out means he can get out on the track straight away, and that for 24hr endurance racing we can have a spare engine on standby.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Standard motorsport practice is to have a "pair and a spare" - ie one good engine in the car, one ready to be installed and one being rebuilt. So we're two thirds of the way there!!

STP

Quote from: "muffdan"Cool, I'd love to see it when it's done! I've had Silverstone Performance's Corrola with the supercharged 2zz a few times. Very nice engine setup! Loads of torque and of course you could rev the nuts off it. I must admit I'm a little worried about your internals for you! I've heard of quite a few turbo'd 2zz failures on stock internals. I'm sure its all dependent on the boost levels etc and I'm sure Rogue know exactly what they're doing!

I'm looking forward to it's completion. Have you thought about joining us at Anglesey come the end of October?

Jason

As Patrick said we will be staying within sensible limits. I did a trawl of the internet before starting the project and picked up fairly quickly that the 2ZZ doesn't like high boost on stock internals. However, the levels it seems to reliably take do give significant gains over stock. I know I could have done this with the 1ZZ but my preference is for high revs and torque of A turbo delivery. The whole car is being treated as a project hence why I'm not focusing or concerned about high boost (yet!). I'm considering suspension, set up and aerodynamics to play just as much a part in how I want the car to turn out. I am a little nervous about having an adjustable boost control though, knowing me it's likely to be set on MAX from day one with a blown engine on day 2! I've gone to town on air and oil cooling/management so this should help.

Regarding Anglesey, I'd be really interested in going. I'll need to over come my fear of Angelsey, mid October, rain and crashing first!

Rogue

More pictures!

Roll cage fully installed and padded:

Dashboard refitted:

Fire Extinguisher installed in cubby-hole behind passenger seat:

Fuel tank fittings:

Fuel pressure regulator with gauge:

Accusump fitted:

Chargecooler shelf / heat shield:

Engine now at final fit stage:

Ilogik

You guys are machines!  Looks wicked. When should you upgrade to a fuel regulator?

How do you not get a head ache when you see all those wires, that dash would of given me a heart attack lol.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

campbell

at the risk of sounding rude, how much roughly is all this costing?
Ex cars
1983 VW Polo 1.0, 2000 Renault Clio 1.2, 1984 VW Mk2 Golf Gti, 1992 Citroen AX Gti, 1989 Mk1 MR2 T-bar, 1992 Mk3 VW Golf Gti, 1998 Mk 4 Ford Fiesta D, 1996 S2 106 XND, 1989 ST185 Toyota Celica GT-Four (Ltd Edn), 1998 Mk3 Golf Gti, 1994 Ford Mondeo Si, 1991 Mk2 Toyota MR2, 1990 205 Gti, 1994 ST205 Toyota Celica GT-Four, 2000 Renault Laguna DCi, 1997 VW Golf Colour Concept, 1999 Vauxhall Corsa Sport, 1998 106 GTi, 1999 Mk4 VW Golf TDI ...

...Current
2003 BMW 530i Champagne II Ltd Edn
2001 Mk3 Toyota MR2
1998 Corsa Redtop (For Crail also for sale!)

STP

Quote from: "campbell"at the risk of sounding rude, how much roughly is all this costing?
It is going to cost a fair bit of money but i set out with a very specific goal in mind. I started buying parts in January so the cost is spread across 7 months, selling the parts that come off is helping. I've been doing track days for a few years now and was thinking about moving in to racing. i wanted to create a car that could be used on track days and remain road legal this year and then take it racing next year, hence roll cage etc. i'll be moving to toyo 888's on track days from now on, without the cage i didn't feel safe using them. Cornering speeds in an mr2 with 888's are high. Most road cars regularly used on track days especially with track day tyres will suffer from oil surge, i've lost a couple of engines in the past from it. The amount of track days i currently do and the likelyhood of racing meant for me a baffled sump and accusump were a definite, even lotus recommend the accusump on the elise/exige if used on track days. An endurance race is also on the cards for next year where heat management is essentail.

ultimatley though i love cars and only happy when i'm involved in creating what a drive. i could have bought something already prepared but i'd not enjoyed driving it as much. i am in a very fortunate position to be able to to this. Rogue have played a big part in making this all happen and have put in a great deal of hours on the design.

lots of what i'm doing will relate to others as they modifiy their cars but my final goal is fairly extreme so the full build is reflecting that.

Rogue

Driver's side harness eyelets and stress plates installed:

Chargecooler core installed:

Front mounted pre-radiator, matched to chargecooler core:

Custom gearbox oil pump mounting:

Gearbox oil pump mounted and plumbed into laminar flow oil cooler:

Accusump electronic pressure control system installed:

The rear bumper bar is right in the way of where we want the exhaust to exit:

Problem solved!

Engine bay fire extinguisher nozzle:

custardavenger

Quality work there. And one of my questions answered
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

E

Any updates on this. Please

STP

Rogue are making serious progress, it's looking amazing! The car was started up for the first time on Wednesday using a base map from their 2ZZ Brit Car. Next on the list is the rolling road set up. There are still a few bits and pieces to do but mapping dependant it won't be long before it goes out on its maiden voyage! I'm like a child at Christmas and can't wait to get it on the road. I'll have a chat with Patrick and ask him to post a few of the latest pics.

The only real delay i've experienced is trying to get hold of Bride seat rails. I ordered then approx 8 weeks ago and they're still no where in site. The UK supplier seems to be as frustrated as i am with the lack of clear info being given by Bride Japan. They always seem to be 2 weeks away and then never arrive. In the interim i've got Rogues Brit car seat rails installed.

Ilogik

Who are you getting the bride seat frames from Si? I know newara do them, but if your still in need speak to Phill over on Driftworks.com or Shaun @ MTbuggies.com

As for your car, it looked lovely from what I could see, the work I could see looked intense and well done, cant wait to see it in the flesh. When does it go in for mapping.

karlus972

This is absolutely amazing! Congrats for the top notch install guys!   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
Madinina Style!!

philster_d

Quote from: "STP"They always seem to be 2 weeks away .

I feel your pain, my car has felt about 2 weeks away for the last 3 months.

STP

Quote from: "philster_d"
Quote from: "STP"They always seem to be 2 weeks away .

I feel your pain, my car has felt about 2 weeks away for the last 3 months.

I just doesn't feel right, the car is almost there but i have no seat! We've gone to far to put the standard seats back in as the seat belts and mountings have gone. I'm running FIA/Road legal harnesses that don't fit on the standard seats. Rogue have kindly lean't me their seat rail but at the moment i can't see an end date to getting the bride rail. I think i'll give Driftwork at call to see what they can do. I hear the problem links back to the manufacturer.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your car, hopefully this time you really are just round the corner from it being up and running.

Ilogik

I know Driftworks have a similar seat rail, they may  possibly be able to replicate you theirs for the roadster.

Newara parts  its not them you bought them from If it is them, then try coord  sport too.

Going up to see patrick on monday afternoon let him have a drive in my car, see what he thinks to the hesitation. Hopefully something simple, other than that power fc says everything is spot on.

Tags: