TTE turbo to 2ZZ turbo track car

Started by STP, June 1, 2009, 23:14

STP

Quote from: "STP"
Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "STP"I had thought about keeping the dash surround and just replacing the gauges with the digi dash, but the steering while is 300mm and seriously restricts the view. To effectively see the dash would take a bit of surgery. The dash isn't cheap but it really does make sense financially and for space if you want to understand whats going on in your engine.

I only spoke to matt this week about covering the hole where the air bag was removed. It seems the plastic cover forms part of the airbag so seperating the two could end in tears!

in japan their was an option for a second glovebox instead of the passenger airbag

if you can get it a replacement cover exists

Thanks for the info, i'll do some investigation.

Found the part,  m http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageF ... =1&no=1938 m , just need to work out if it fits.
2 x road legal MR2 race cars. Monocraft GT 300 replica with 2GR-FE V6 engine and class winning black MR2 Championship roadster

markiii

thats the one, and I;ve seen one retro fitted so it should do
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

karlus972

Hi guys,
Has there been any update on this amazing project?   s:) :) s:)
Madinina Style!!

Rogue

Yes, there have been loads of updates to the car - some are still happening - and yet more are planned! Simon's aims for the car have well and truly crossed over into the motorsport arena and he will be competing in the MR2 Super GT series next year ( m http://www.mr2supergt.com m ). For this reason, I can't really say anything more about what's been done to the car, or what will be happening to it in the future as Simon wants to keep some information. I'll ask him to post on this thread as I'm sure there's plenty that he's willing to share with you guys!

Cheers,

Patrick

karlus972

Thank you for the update Patrick! I am looking forward to seeing the progress!   s:D :D s:D
Madinina Style!!

STP

I've just got back from holiday so i'll give a more comprehensive update later in the week with pictures. As Patrick said there have been a great deal of developments over the past couple of months and almost all of them have been motorsport orientated. I'm out on track with it at Bedford on 7th Dec to test the latest additions. It's currently with Rogue having new wheels/tyres, rear wing, front splitter and revised exhaust fitted. There have been some real ups and downs with the car but its turning out to be nothing short of awesome on track. For the first couple of months the car experienced, boost creep, very high oil, water and exhaust gas temps when on track. You got 5 laps before you had to come in. It took a while to get to the bottom of the problem and finally took the fitting of a monster 50mm deep rad, re worked wastegate, electric water pump, reduced boost pressure and remap to sorted the issues. The high EGT's melted the baffles in the silencer and damaged the motorsport cat, hence why a revised exhaust system is needed! With the new mods it'll now do lap after lap while still being just about the quickest thing on track short of a caterham. Other additions since my last post are;
The Race Tech Dash 2 and data logger installed and fully configurated in the MR2 Nav pod
BC Racing coilovers fitted
Replica Toyota body kit fitted
Lowered, by a lot. Inner wheel archs modified
Modified front bumper to increase air flow including a stick on number plate on the bonnet
Accusump configured and working

I'll get some pictures up later this week
2 x road legal MR2 race cars. Monocraft GT 300 replica with 2GR-FE V6 engine and class winning black MR2 Championship roadster

ChrisGB

Quote from: "STP"Accusump configured and working

What kit did you get and where have you stowed the reservoir? Considering this mod myself if I can keep the weight addition minimal.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Rogue

Quote from: "ChrisGB"What kit did you get and where have you stowed the reservoir? Considering this mod myself if I can keep the weight addition minimal.

I can't remember the capacity off the top of my head, but it's an electric kit:

Rogue

Some pictures:

Ilogik

Each time I see si's car I dribble the work that has gone into it is mental. Amazing to see how different it is compared to a stock one. I love the uber girth rear wheels  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Great work and great car.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

STP

Thanks, a serious amount of time and effort has gone in to my car by everyone involved. The car is looking and driving incredibly. There's a lot of fine tuning to do over the winter as well as implementing a number of ideas ready for next years race session.

You may notice on the pictures above some imperfections in the paintwork on the rear bumper. This appeared after my last outing to Bedford when a 'small' explosion out of the exhuast creating 6 feet flames set light to my rear bumper! The high EGT's had melted the baffles and CAT which blocked the exhaust. All sorted now. If there is one bit of advice i could give anyone planning on force inducting their MR2 it's to invest in as many sensors and gauges as possible to understand exactly what is going on with the car. The more information the better. You'll end up with a better map and avoid potential serious engine failure. My engine would certainly not be alive today if it had not been for the sensors.

Out at Bedford tomorrow to test the latest additions so i'm keeping my fingers crossed for dry weather. I'm now running 245 888's at the rear and 215's at the front with a new geometry set up. The torque the car is producing easily overwhelmed and overheated my old 225's. 5 laps in and the rear became very loose. New spoiler and front splitter fitted so i'm looking forward to seeing the difference they make. I've had replica C One side scoops fitted to bring a little more air in to the engine bay and to add to the overall look of the car.

Next additions will depend on how tomorrow goes.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "STP"Out at Bedford tomorrow to test the latest additions so i'm keeping my fingers crossed for dry weather. I'm now running 245 888's at the rear and 215's at the front with a new geometry set up. The torque the car is producing easily overwhelmed and overheated my old 225's. 5 laps in and the rear became very loose.

Are you running GG or GGG?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Rogue

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Are you running GG or GGG?

GG - Medium hard. It's the control compound for the MR2 Super GT race series.

muffdan

Quote from: "STP"If there is one bit of advice i could give anyone planning on force inducting their MR2 it's to invest in as many sensors and gauges as possible to understand exactly what is going on with the car. The more information the better. You'll end up with a better map and avoid potential serious engine failure. My engine would certainly not be alive today if it had not been for the sensors.

+1. Sensors have saved my engine too! For the relatively little extra a few guages cost, it's just not worth the risk living without them.

Quote from: "STP"I'm now running 245 888's at the rear and 215's at the front with a new geometry set up.

What profile/rim size are these?
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Captain Vimes

Quote from: "muffdan"
Quote from: "STP"If there is one bit of advice i could give anyone planning on force inducting their MR2 it's to invest in as many sensors and gauges as possible to understand exactly what is going on with the car. The more information the better. You'll end up with a better map and avoid potential serious engine failure. My engine would certainly not be alive today if it had not been for the sensors.

+1. Sensors have saved my engine too! For the relatively little extra a few guages cost, it's just not worth the risk living without them.

So which sensor saved your engines? Was it EGT in both cases?

And I love the car. Really shows what can be achieved. Looking forward to following how it performs in the race series!

muffdan

EGT, boost and knock sensors/guages saved me!  s:) :) s:)
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

STP

Quote from: "Captain Vimes"
Quote from: "muffdan"

So which sensor saved your engines? Was it EGT in both cases?

It was the oil temp and pressure gauges that brought me in off track before any potential disasters. Rogue then wired the EGT and Boost sensors in to the Dash2 which helped identify where all the heat was being produced - high EGT's and boost creep. The car was then mapped using the EGT info. The past couple of months has taught me how importance EGT's are in the tuning process. However, to answer the orginal question it was using all the sensors being used in conjunction that saved the engine.

STP

Quote from: "STP"I'm now running 245 888's at the rear and 215's at the front with a new geometry set up.

What profile/rim size are these?

I'm running 215/50/15 front and 245/45/16 rear. This is a starting point to help me choose the correct size for next session. The track day yesterday didn't give me much useful info as it rained almost all day. I will say the 888's performed great considering the conditions.

muffdan

we're up at bedford this saturday if you fancy it. The weather is looking good and there's places left!  s:) :) s:)
Jason

STP

Quote from: "muffdan"we're up at bedford this saturday if you fancy it. The weather is looking good and there's places left!  s:) :) s:)
Unfortunately i can't make it, the visiting family at Christmas commitments begin for me this weekend! I'm out at Oulton Park on 16th Dec next week if anyones going.

Anonymous

Hi,

Is your old turbo setup sold??

Andrew

Ilogik

[MOD]Unnecessary quote removed[/MOD]

yep sold it to me, then I sold it on recently.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

Hi,
    Where did you get the nifty rollcage?

Rogue

Quote from: "crashtestdummy"Where did you get the nifty rollcage?

m http://www.roguemotorsport.com m

Lippy

I know this is an old thread but its truely amazing! serious engineering and thought gone into this one!
Ex SP240 Owner, looking for another boosted '2

Tags: