Pressure Guard

Started by MRMike, February 10, 2004, 20:58

MRMike

I've recently just had two nails in my tire, I was luckily alerted to this problem before it became serious via some pressure guard valves which I put on the car a few months after I bought it.  My old man had some on the Skyline, as that like the 2 is very sensitive to pressure changes.  

Anyways there a good way to ensure you have the optimum pressures.   The tire incident reminded me just how useful these are, they're available from

m http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Pressure_Guard.html m

They cost £12.50 for 4, have free delivery and replace the standard dust caps.

Cheers,

Mike
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

aaronjb

That's a pretty neat idea - and a damned sight cheaper than the electronic monitoring stuff (the ones that work with a strap around the wheel and use RF to talk to the computer in the cabin, and read out your tyre pressures)..

Can you set the pressure they warn at, or do they just start to warn when it goes under 20psi?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

so how do you set the pressure at which they alert you?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

IIRC the pressure is set automatically when you screw it into place. Any drop in pressure after that causes the indicator to drop down.

MRMike

yeah thats right Steve, you just put them on at your required pressure, then any subsequent change is illustrated with the red tip.  As I said earlier saved me the expense of more damage being done to my tire/car recently.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

heathstimpson

What sort of drop from absolute triggers them  s:?: :?: s:?:  A 1,2,3 psig drop  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Slacey

I've been using these for a year or two now, and they are handy. They show a reading from a 2 psi+ drop in pressure.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Slacey"I've been using these for a year or two now, and they are handy. They show a reading from a 2 psi+ drop in pressure.
Sounds good; about the amount of shift you would be needing to know about  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I have had these on the Mondeo for a couple of years and I like them, but they are quite large, maybe 15m longer than normal dust caps, so I'm not sure about spoiling Mr2's looks with them!  Work well though, but one of mine fell off recently.

Andy
Edit - 15m long dust caps, my @rse.  15mm!

Chris

I assume you mean 15mm??   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

is there anything to stop any skint tea-leaving scum?
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Tem

I recently saw something similar, but they were just about the size of a normal rubber cap. They would show green at fixed pressure, red at 2psi below it and yellow at 2psi above it.

But they were fixed for the pressure and sold in sets of four, so you'd have to buy 2 sets for MR2. And get a new set, if you ever need to change the pressure for whatever reason.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

Quote from: "Chris"I assume you mean 15mm??   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

is there anything to stop any skint tea-leaving scum?
Yeah, 15mm I reckon, and no there isn't any anti-theft mechanism, but I never had mine nicked.
I had them on at last years JAE I think, so if anyone can find a pic of my wheels, they should be there.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

GSB

I bought got one of these:

Deluxe Digital Tyre Pressure Guage

I keep it in the storage tray on top of the dash. £15 from Halfrauds, and very-very accurate. Detects 0.5psi differences rather than the 2-3 these other things seem to detect, which is a good thing as 1-2 psi seems to make or break the handling on this car...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

MRMike

Yeah 15mm sounds about right..They dont look too bad at all,  And I know I would never ever check the pressures if I didn't have them on. No-one has ever nicked mine either, had them on for several months and I've been to some rough areas.  The only reason I can see someone nicking them is if they thought they were those crappy tire flies.

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

QuoteNo-one has ever nicked mine either

... because the little oiks prefer not to use them on their bicycles and the Halfords crew wouldn't be interested unless they were electric blue   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I ordered some for the gf as her Valentine's (although I have a dozen roses on standby if they don't go down well    s:) :) s:)  )

Tags: