Which Chip?

Started by uktotty, June 24, 2009, 16:17

uktotty

Well after blowing one unichip and selling the other I am wondering if emanage is the way to go?
Ultimate, blue, with cables, without cables etc?
What other options are there for a NA car with a few mods?

muffdan

no chip russ, there's not much bang for buck with them taking into account mapping costs. Sell your car, with the proceeds along with the cash for the chip / mapping money, buy a newer, lower milage model while they're still cheap. Then turbo it   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  Actually, that might not be that cost effective either!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

aaronjb

In increasing order of cost:

eManage Blue + Mapping (something like £700 or so I'd guess)
eManage Ultimate + Mapping (getting closer to £1000 I reckon)
PFC + Mapping + new immobiliser (over £1000 now)
Link XLEM
MoTeC - might as well buy the £4000 model at this point..

Or any other of the myriad of ECUs on the market - none of which will really be cost effective with limited mods - the biggest bang for the buck is..

Wait for it...

A premapped Unichip.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

uktotty

I always take advice from a guy who spent more on his car than I did on my mortgage last year  s:P :P s:P

loadswine

The price of Unichips now, its a pretty good option. They don't blow that frequently. With the money saved on all those other ecus, you could get a lightweight flywheel and have lots of fun.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

spit

With the EManage Ultimate coupled to a feed from a wideband (such as the Innovate) you can set target AFRs and drive around while the car tunes itself.

It might not be your preferred option Russ, but worth pointing out to others reading this who want to monitor and dabble and not necessarily fork out for mapping.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

ChrisGB

Unichip Q and a map should cost less than £400 all in. You will not get any other chip supplied fitted and mapped for that sort of money and unlike Emanage, you get the vvti control if your mods can benefit from it.

I seriously considered Camcon at one time and may well have gone for it until I found that the Unichip Q did valve timing.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

uktotty

Cheers guys, ironic that you are all putting me back to the item I just sold!
Maybe the upgrade to the Unichip Q would be the best bet then, as the midrange with the unchip was so much better than without.
I like the idea of the self learning chip also Ste, plug and go but I dont like the idea of splicing the harness to the ECU

spit

Boomslang harness gives you the plug and play option. Costs a few bob, obviously   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

uktotty

Quote from: "spit"Boomslang harness gives you the plug and play option. Costs a few bob, obviously   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Few bob!! They are stupid money, that harness was more money than my chip and harness I bought originally!

evileye_wrx

There will be a cheap 2nd hand Emanage Blue with main harness, injector harness, injection harness, tuning software etc coming on the market in the near future. By near future that means when I've hand my PFC fitted and tuned which is hopefully before the end of the summer.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

uktotty

Cheers Phil, is that gonna be plug an play for a man with my limited knowledge?

evileye_wrx

We can put the map from Alex's car straight on it, so Induction, Exhaust and manifold mods.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Tags: