Freeing up brake calipers - Is it hard?

Started by ad_car_08, June 25, 2009, 15:08

ad_car_08

Having just been quoted £449.65 to change all four discs and eight pads on my '2, I'm seriously thinking about doing it myself!

I was going to do it myself anyway when I found an ebay shop selling 4 generic discs and 8 mintex pads for a shade over £100 (tempting..), but over the past month or two, I've been hearing a noise which leads me to believe that my drivers rear caliper might be sticking.  As this new noise might add complication to the discs and pads renewal, I wanted to take it to a garage for a trained mechanic to sort out, plus it's hassle free for me.

Now, I'm pretty handy with a spanner, having changed gearbox's, brake discs and what not on previous cars, but I've never had to contend with (what I *think* is) sticking calipers as I've generally only been involved in quite smooth remove and replace jobs.

Is it just a case of popping a film of copper grease on the bar to get it functioning/sliding correctly, or am I looking at a "dismantle, clean, reassemble" process?
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

uktotty

Easy job, call Rob, he will come round at 11.30PM and do it for you.  s:) :) s:)

Just make sure you have the Brake Piston tool, the rest is a breeze

ad_car_08

Is that FGrob? If so, I'll drop him a PM and get some helpful hints
[/size]

SimonC_Here

ad_car_08

Cool, thanks Simon  s:D :D s:D
[/size]

ad_car_08

Just wanted to ask what you guys thought of that package?

Are Mintex pads alright or total pants? Does it generally matter what discs you fit, as long as they're vented?

THanks in advance
[/size]

uktotty

My deal for 4 x grooved and drilled and mintex pads was £200

The pads seem to develop a LOT of dust by comparison to the last ones.

So £500 vs £200 seems steep to me

ad_car_08

Which pads would you recommend to go for? ....within reason of course   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[/size]

uktotty

General consensus is GreenStuff pads or OEM

ad_car_08

Thanks uktotty  s:D :D s:D
[/size]

Innocent

Yeah, toyotas own are very good and last for ages. Good value too. Changing them is a doddle, follow the guide in the how to section. If there is any sticking or warping it makes no difference to the diffculty of the job so long as you're changing discs too.

Anonymous

By the love of God don't buy the Greenstuff crap. Utter, utter garbage unless you want a pad worse than stock with even more dust.

OEM all the way unless you want to spend silly money.

aaronjb

My Greenstuff work rather nicely.. dusty, but they stop a lot better than the Toyota stuff that was on there before (although it's a little bit unfair since I did discs & pads at the same time - still I don't remember it stopping this well at any point in it's life)..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

I STILL SAY DO NOT WANT

Hate them. 'Orrible things. *spits*

spit

Quote from: "Dan M"*spits*

My turn then  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I had 'em donks back and using them again now. They are way less dire than they used to be. Good even.

Said it before, but I'd still favour OEM or proven branded disks over EBay unknowns when it comes to life-saving stuff   s:? :? s:?  For the sake of an extra 15 quid a corner its a no-brainer .... no disrespect intended towards anyone who has used them, just my own view.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

ad_car_08

My understanding was that metal brake discs are metal brake discs, its the vented/grooved/drilled technology that set them apart, and the pads are the important factor to spend money on.

Apologies if im being extremely niave, but surely an unbranded brake disc is just the same as a branded. I dont understand how a metal disc can be differ?
[/size]

spit

Metal is metal, true, but the quality of steel - impurity content etc - is not something you'll be able to tell by staring at it.

The choice is yours to make of course.

If you're going drilled/grooved, I'd opt for dimples rather than holes. I'm told that EBC use OEM as their raw material - whether this is true or not I dunno. Someone else may be able to comment.

I've seen drilled-through disks on a '2 with heat damage/fracturing around the holes - not pretty.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

ChrisGB

Quote from: "ad_car_08"My understanding was that metal brake discs are metal brake discs, its the vented/grooved/drilled technology that set them apart, and the pads are the important factor to spend money on.

Apologies if Im being extremely niave, but surely an unbranded brake disc is just the same as a branded. I dont understand how a metal disc can be differ?

All discs are not the same. Cheap and sometimes nasty knock offs can get to the market and they typically warp or crack pretty quickly. I got a set of EBC discs (plain) and OEM pads and it stops just fine with no sign of warping or cracking.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "spit"I've seen drilled-through disks on a '2 with heat damage/fracturing around the holes - not pretty.

a lot of race teams dont use drilled discs anymore due to the issues with the fracturing between the holes and have gone back to solids. A friend used EBC discs on his skyline and had this issue, there wasn't a single hole without a crack to another. Personally i'd never use drilled discs, they're a fad especially on the 2, i never used anything but stock discs and brakes on the 2 even on track and never had a single issue, only worth while mods were stainless lines and some rb600, far cheaper than expensive unnessesary discs and pads
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

ChrisGB

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "spit"I've seen drilled-through disks on a '2 with heat damage/fracturing around the holes - not pretty.

a lot of race teams dont use drilled discs anymore due to the issues with the fracturing between the holes and have gone back to solids. A friend used EBC discs on his skyline and had this issue, there wasn't a single hole without a crack to another. Personally i'd never use drilled discs, they're a fad especially on the 2, i never used anything but stock discs and brakes on the 2 even on track and never had a single issue, only worth while mods were stainless lines and some rb600, far cheaper than expensive unnessesary discs and pads

Likewise I have had cracking between holes on a vented disk before. I think the key thing to ask when looking at replacements is "how was it on what I had?" If you were happy with the stopping but not the feel, then perhaps look at some braided brake hoses. They make a big difference to brake feel when you are really on it.

Maybe the stopping was ok on road, but you boiled your fluid on track. RB600 or similar is your answer here.

Maybe you had fade, then uprated pads are the most likely answer. I have pushed the 2 very hard on the sort of brake torture B / C road drive that really melts brakes and it has never had an issue with fade. These conditions tend to be as hard or harder on brakes than the track sometimes in my experience. Also remember that no matter how good a pad is, fade will happen eventually, but if you are comparing worn to new, the worn ones will fade earlier. Only uprate pads I would recommend for the roads are the Ferodo DS2500 of the Mintex compound that replaced the Extreme series (cannot remember what it is off the top of my head). Pagid do a good fast road as well but I found they stained the wheels yellow.

If your existing setup was working well, I would not change it.  

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tags: