2 won't start...

Started by Humble Jim, February 12, 2004, 10:52

Humble Jim

Bought it new at about April last year. I've been on holiday a few weeks so thought I'd give it a run out. Poor thing won't start. It's got battery power but engine won't turn. Cold battery maybe I thought but it's not exactly freezing and it's inside the garage which is part of the house and warm because of that. Never had a starting problem before. Reliably it's fired first time every time until now.

When I turn the ignition key I get a clicking noise but no engine start.

RAC is on the way to my garage right now.

Will let you know what's occurred...
H&S Exhaust

Slacey

It probably is just the battery, even though it seems to have juice.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Humble Jim

Yep. Battery was at 11v (should have been over 12 at rest). There was no unusual drain occurring and it started recharging perfectly once engine was restarted. Normal ECU/alarm load had lowered the available voltage.

The actual reason this happenned is (I've worked out) I haven't moved it in four weeks. The lesson is: keep using your 2 thru the winter regularly.

We have two cars and the 2 had simply gotten used less in Winter with this episode being the result.

All's well that ends well...   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
H&S Exhaust

filcee

I have one of these

Airflow Battery Charger

It was recommended by a colleague who has an Elise as his fun car, so that doesn't get used very often.  When I bought my first '2 I was working 5 days/week in London, so it didn't get driven much for the first few months.  I used to pop this on during the week to keep everything topped up nicely.  Didn't have any problems with it over about 3 months of regular use.  As it's nice and tiny, it's also really easy to store.

(A google search turned up the link, I'm not 100% certain this was the same place I got mine from)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Slacey

I've got an OptiMate, which is the same thing really... this is used to keep the battery in the Ninja topped up, which hasn't been used for nearly a year  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Humble Jim

Quote from: "filcee"I have one of these

Airflow Battery Charger

Good idea this. Think I'll get such ASAP. Thanks for the recommend and for Slacey's too.
H&S Exhaust

Jap GT300

Or you could get one of those Solar top up systems.  They are £20 in Maplin and plug into the lighter socket.

Slacey

Quote from: "Jap GT300"Or you could get one of those Solar top up systems.  They are £20 in Maplin and plug into the lighter socket.
Not much use when his car is in a garage...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "Jap GT300"Or you could get one of those Solar top up systems.  They are £20 in Maplin and plug into the lighter socket.

Maybe you could nail it to the wall outside?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

SteveJ

Quote from: "Slacey"

And the cigarette lighter is disconnected when the ignition is off   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tem

You got my interest...how big are those panels and how many amperes they put out?

I have a dman small (=light) battery and I'm not too convinced that it can take the load of normal driving  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"You got my interest...how big are those panels and how many amperes they put out?

I have a dman small (=light) battery and I'm not too convinced that it can take the load of normal driving  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

I swear I've seen a solar power assisted Rover 416... bloody sttrange, but hey, you're already in a "different" car... why not.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Andy S"
Quote from: "Slacey"Not much use when his car is in a garage...

You'd need bloomin big nails   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"
Quote from: "Andy S"
Quote from: "Slacey"Not much use when his car is in a garage...

You'd need bloomin big nails   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Thankyou!  I'll take care to be more precise in my posts in future!!

Tem

Quote from: "phil4"I swear I've seen a solar power assisted Rover 416... bloody sttrange, but hey, you're already in a "different" car... why not.

I meant the solar powered battery charger  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Humble Jim,
Do you disconnect the battery terminals while charging  s:?: :?: s:?:

Humble Jim

Quote from: "cartell"Humble Jim,
Do you disconnect the battery terminals while charging  s:?: :?: s:?:

If you mean when I myself charge it's a sort of non-question as I never have charged the battery in my 2 to date. However according to the blurb that goes with the Airflow device mentioned above you don't do it (has the advantage that you don't lose radio settings etc.). You leave it connected for as long as the spell you're not using the car (weeks and months at a time).

This may not (does not?) not apply to "normal" rechargers - i.e. the sort you don't leave connected for months at a time. I honestly don't know. I'd resort to the instructions that come with the thing or dealer advice though. Someone around here will likely know.
H&S Exhaust

SteveJ

When using a conventional battery charger, ALWAYS disconnect the battery leads - these devices put out some rather nasty rectified AC crud which plays havoc with electronic devices (more often than not resulting in their premature demise  s:( :( s:(  )

The trickle chargers (like the airflow and solar chargers) put out nice clean DC at such a low current they aren't going to cause any harm.

HTH

Tem

Quote from: "SteveJ"When using a conventional battery charger, ALWAYS disconnect the battery leads - these devices put out some rather nasty rectified AC

I have always kept the leads in place and never had a problem.

It's true that they put out AC, which could probably break something if inserted straight into the leads. But doesn't the battery operate as a huge capacitor or something and make it pretty much DC...?

I know that I can actually measure AC voltages from the charger itself, but it's totally gone when measuring from the battery terminals.

Anonymous

The reason I ask is, I have an Optimate 3 and used to leave it on trickle charge on my Fireblade when not in use, and manual stated you could leave connected.

I have sought advice from Mr. T, regarding leaving charger on trickle  while car not in use as manual says, always disconnect terminals. Mr. T says as far as they are concerned they would leave them connected, but you should'nt really   s:!: :!: s:!:  
From what I understand, you stand a chance of damaging diodes.

Might be worthwhile checking info incase any damage occurs.

SteveJ

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "SteveJ"When using a conventional battery charger, ALWAYS disconnect the battery leads - these devices put out some rather nasty rectified AC

I have always kept the leads in place and never had a problem.

It's true that they put out AC, which could probably break something if inserted straight into the leads. But doesn't the battery operate as a huge capacitor or something and make it pretty much DC...?

I know that I can actually measure AC voltages from the charger itself, but it's totally gone when measuring from the battery terminals.

The biggest problem occurs when the battery fails (usually due to a plate breaking down), resulting in it going open-circuit. You then loose the 'capacitor' effect of the battery, leaving the pulsed DC to do it's worst to your electronics.

The other thing to remember is when you clip the battery charger on, you are connecting to the clamps rather than the terminal posts. If they are loose at all, the battery may be isolated from the car with the same effect.

Yes, I was just as sceptical about the requirement to remove the battery leads first, but a little logical analysis of what could go wrong along with the cost of putting it right soon made me slightly more cautious.

Tags: