Turbo options......advice please

Started by andywood, June 26, 2009, 18:01

andywood

I know that asking the questions I am about to ask is going to open up a whole new world of horsepower (and credit card use) for me! There is loads of info on the forum on turbo options/upgrades etc.... but I am looking for some really simple advice to help set me on the right track.

Have been considering getting a TTE turbo kit for a while, the power gains are about as much as i wanted really and had the piece of mind of keeping a lot of things on the car standard and comes as a real plug-and-play type kit. The cost however (whether new or second-hand) really did put me off.

Then had a look at some of the other turbo solutions (e.g. PE), but then started to realise that the list of add-ons and options to tailor a 'kit' for the car would really probably take a lot of knowledge that i haven't currently got.

I then saw this on the internet, but not sure if anyone has anyone experience of this kit? Seems to be a fairly comprehensive set-up:
 m http://www.turbo-kits.com/mr2_s_turbo_kits.html m

Would be great to get any general tips or comments off people on best turbo options for those looking at up to around 200hp-ish with best possible reliability and ease of set-up?
Anything else about turbo ownership that i need to factor in to my decision making?? (apart from the miles of smiles!)

Thanks

Andy
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

muffdan

TTET or PE kit are good kits. TTET is very kit and forget, not sure what the PE is like for required fiddling after the install.

SPT will be selling his TTET kit soon, might be at the right price for you.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

SteveJ

Thats the Hass kit - turbo-kits bought the rights when Hass went tits-up

andywood

Quote from: "SteveJ"Thats the Hass kit - turbo-kits bought the rights when Hass went tits-up

I assume from your sig that that is the kit that you have??
What's the verdict? Where did you buy from, is it US source only or anywhere in UK?

Cheers

Andy
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

SteveJ

Mine was on the car when I bought it so most of the bugs had been ironed out for me. Still chasing some of the problems though.

Given that Greddy are no-more (unless they have risen from the ashes again), I think they will be finding it difficult to put these kits together now.

Anonymous

Don't buy the Hass kit. It took all of us on here years to iron most of the bugs out, and it's still the worst kit available.

What do you want from a turbo kit? Lots of power is going to mean something like the Top Secret turbo kit (like Aaron and Tem have), driveability is going to mean a smaller unit like the TTE or the PE. However, if it's driveability you want then I'd go for a supercharger kit over a turbo.

In all honesty, and speaking from experience, unless you're planning on keeping the car for the next 5-7 years at least and/or can afford to literally throw the money away then DON'T turbo/supercharge your car. It's fun for a bit, but it gets really expensive and unless you're prepared to fiddle with it quite a bit (TTE excepted), be prepared to put the man hours in tinkering and learning as you go. Far better for the car would be to spend all that money on bracing, suspension and brakes as that'll make you go much quicker than a turbo'd car in everything other than a straight line, and if it's straight line speed you want then buy a Scooby.

/rant

markiii

thats teh Hass and whilst I'd buy one second hand at teh right price at their new price and with teh crap exchange rates I'd steer clear

best bet by far lately have been teh 2 second hand TTET fit an d forget for 2K is about as good as it gets

if on teh othe rhand your happy to play, tinker, tweak and most importanty have teh interest or aptitude to learn how these things work then one of teh other kits is a viable option

I had as much fun tweaking my Hass and improving it as I went as I did driving it

it very much depends on your mentality
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

nyeregis

I bought Markiii's Hass kit last October & Mark installed it for me,  I have no regrets at all.  I have had no problems, the fuel consumption is more than accepable and the extra power is very usable & great fun.  The only relevant mod was fitting a set of Kirk's engine mount strengtheners to reduce the longtitudinal engine rock.

Tony
Lagoon blue, hardtop, Corky\'s, Hass turbo, E Manage, A/C. Kirks.

markiii

yeah ok, if teh master fits it for you you won't need to tweek  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

dubs

I had a TTE kit fitted in Feb and its the best £2k i've ever spent-car is loads more fun to drive and more manageable day to day because of the increased torque lower down.  I love it, would recommend it to anyone, a turbo gives the car the performance that its good looks and balanced handling always deserved.
MR2 ROADSTER - RED - HARDTOP - BLACK LEATHER - TTE TURBO - TTE SPRINGS - TTE EXHAUST - MARKiii PIPE - TOYOTA GB BODYKIT - TOYOTA GB LIP SPOILER- DEV\'S KEYHOLES - KENWOOD DDX 6029 - IN PHASE COMPONENTS - KENWOOD BLUETOOTH - KENWOOD iPOD INTERFACE - ALPINE SWD 1600 ACTIVE SUB - 17" SP12 ALLOYS

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "markiii"yeah ok, if the master fits it for you you won't need to tweek  :-) :-) :-)

Oh yeah?  s:) :) s:)

And on a fuel note I just got 38.6 mpg last weekend.

Silverman

What's a Scooby?
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

Liz

I wanted a Turbokit that would just plug in the car and off I go - no dials or anything to worry about.  Had a few teething problems - running to lean (boost was up too high) and it had to be (at my expense) rolling road diagnosed and a new MAF sensor sorted out its little blip problem.  Only problem since was a leak in a pipe which due to lack of support from Silverstone my friends helped me out with to fix.  I have had my TTET for coming up to 3 years now and have done nearly 30K in it and don't regret it for a moment.  Its not the cheapest - but it is the easiest if you see what I mean.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Liz

Quote from: "Silverman"What's a Scooby?

Subaru = Scooby Doo   s:D :D s:D
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

spit

As Liz says, TTE for fit and forget .... but you still need to keep an eye on things as part of your existing routine of engine checks (which I'm sure you do religiously now anyway  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).

I'm still trying to get Gaspar out of retirement to provide us with some of the proven bits of the C2 kit. If there is Club interest in shifting a few kits and getting some more members blown, then its a good option. With a good install*, I'd set the kit reliability on a par with the TTE, particularly if you're planning to run at TTE-type boost levels.

Ditto for the standard PE kit*, although the mapping is a little more shaky - worth throwing a piggy-back at it.

* turbo bracing is the big must-do on these kits for longevity.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

markiii

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"
Quote from: "markiii"yeah ok, if the master fits it for you you won't need to tweek  :-) :-) :-)

Oh yeah?  s:) :) s:)

And on a fuel note I just got 38.6 mpg last weekend.

must have been my assistants   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

spit

Quote from: "markiii"must have been my assistants   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Blame the tools   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

nyeregis

Quote from: "spit"
Quote from: "markiii"must have been my assistants   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Blame the tools   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Is that a reference to the assistants?
Lagoon blue, hardtop, Corky\'s, Hass turbo, E Manage, A/C. Kirks.

spit

Aaron's pseudonym when he's in Mark's pit is "Jack"   s:D :D s:D  

All lovely people

(sorry for drift)

DannyN

Quote from: "spit":lol:

Aaron's pseudonym when he's in Mark's pit is "Jack"   s:D :D s:D  

All lovely people

(sorry for drift)

Thought Aaron was the oil catch can ?
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

spit

Meet Jack Black   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Anyhoo, back O/T .....

DannyN

sorry thought you meant this

But yes your right back on topic

I wouldnt mind getting bits from Gaspar but itll have to be next year at this rate
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Silverman

Quote from: "Liz"
Quote from: "Silverman"What's a Scooby?

Subaru = Scooby Doo   s:D :D s:D

Doh.... Yea....    Many thanks Ma'm   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

dj2k21

I will probably get totally slated from you guys for suggesting this, but to me, it sounds like all he's after is turn the key and go reliability, in which case, the simple answer in my head, is an mr2 mk2 turbo motor, standard they produce around 240ish, and with very little work at all, 300 is very obtainable, and at not really a great cost, that way he keeps his standard motor until he has the cash to get a 2zz turbo lump, and he can sell his 1zz once completed and claim back probably the majority of the cash  s:) :) s:)

however, the way I would do it if I had to start again, would be something most toyota fans would kill me for, but I would go with a K20, K22 or K24 motor from a civic type R or prelude, you get no lag from a turbo, instant throttle, and all the insanity of a vtec, check youtube and you can see a 300bhp NA vtec K20 motor in a roadster, and if am gunna be honest, I see no valid reason why it wouldnt be faster than my car is now.
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

markiii

3sgte wont fit without chassis surgery and will cost more than any of those options

Tags: