Starting Issue

Started by Anonymous, February 12, 2004, 14:04

Anonymous

Hi,

Just wanted to know if you guys think this is normal.

Sometimes, i'd say about 1 in 30 starts, the car doesnt start immediately like it should.  It kinda "turns" for about 4-5 seconds before starting and this normally happens when im leaving work (after being left parked for about 8.5 hours).

Ive had the car since Sep 03 and its new so am slightly worried as my 7 year Clio used to start immediately every time.

What do ya think?

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

I get this with my 03... i know a few others that get this too. Ive had the coils replaced and its been in for a day for them to check and they couldnt find anything wrong. I dont worry about it now.

Anonymous

Just happened to me this lunchtime!! Spooky. It had been parked up for about 4 hours - took about 4 seconds of turning over to start, then kind of stumbled into life.

It's done it a couple of times before though, mabye once every 6 months.. and I use it daily, so probably nothing to worry about.

Worth getting it checked out though as your car is so new?

Tim

Anonymous

I've had this happen a couple of times. I'm convinced it is something to do with the transponder in the key. Sometimes the signal can be blocked by the keyring or something similar. It's nothing to worry about and is very hard to replicate the condition.

Anonymous

I've had this too, was going to mention it at the first service, but good to hear that others have it too!

Andy

Anonymous

Mine catches me out often.  Ususally it takes a second, perhaps a fraction longer to start.  Sometimes it catches me out by firing instantly, the moment I turn the key.

I've had trouble starting it twice... which considering the use I just put down to a bit of cold, damp and me not using my right foot properly.

SteveJ

Quote from: "phil4"I've had trouble starting it twice... which considering the use I just put down to a bit of cold, damp and me not using my right foot properly.

You shouldn't touch the throttle during starting - the throttle body has a bypass valve that the ECU can use to increase air flow if it needs to.

Anonymous

I don't day to day, but the two times I had problems starting, a slight blip of the throttle seemed to get it going.  Then again, maybe the two things were unrelated and I just got lucky.

Anonymous

Thanks for your reassurances guys and for your quick responses.

heathstimpson

I also get this occasionally on my 2003. I occurs generally when I have not used it for a couple of days.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tem

Just wondering...those of you who've had the problem, do you turn the from 0 to start at one fast turn, or do you wait for a while with the powers on before starting?

The latter was a must on my prev MR2, so I still have that habit...and never had a starting issue so far...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Yeah, I have found the same as Tem. Leave the key in and turn on and don't start for about 4-5 secs before starting. Usually does the trick cos I have noticed the long starting myself. never seen it too much of a problem though

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"Yeah, I have found the same as Tem. Leave the key in and turn on and don't start for about 4-5 secs before starting. Usually does the trick cos I have noticed the long starting myself. never seen it too much of a problem though

I always do that (a couple of seconds), allow the fuel pump to buzz up, choke to adjust etc.  Find it best on most cars.  Definitely allowed the time when I've had slow starting.

Tags: