Brake Pad experiences

Started by markiii, February 12, 2004, 16:10

markiii

As per teh title.

I'm off to Anglesey soon, and my stock pads may need replacing

So far all I've tried are the stock pads on this car.

On other cars I've tried the EBC pads but they had a habit of warping discs they put out so much heat.

I'm looking for something that performs at least as well as stock and that won't self destruct on track.

which kind of rules out TRD.

opinions please, preferably based upon real experience?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

mph

First hand experience & opinion:

Stock pads

Cold (road): good
Warm (road): good
Track: start to fade after 5-8 laps

Pros: cheap / easily obtainable / reasonable performance / reasonable longevity
Cons: fades on track

Summary: Surprisingly very good.

TRD 'Fast road / race' pads

Cold (road): excellent
Warm (road): unbelievably excellent
Track: works well for a short while, then fades, then melts.

Pros: excellent for day-to-day driving
Cons: disintegrates on sight of track

Excellent for road use, just don't go neer a track with them.

Mintex 1144 pads

Cold (road): average
Warm (road): very good
Track: very little fade even after extended track use

Pros: track-happy
Cons: not much better than stock for day-to-day use / not cheap / made to order / can squeal a little

Currently still in use so cannot comment about longevity. Recommended for trackday regulars.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

Uh...I just ordered a set of TRD pads, the "street" version, cause I thought that's a safe choice  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  They are waiting on some other stuff, so it hasn't been sent yet...sounds like I should cancel the pads then?  s:? :? s:?  

Any idea about the TRD "race" versions...are they any good on street?

Most of my driving is on the streets, but I wouldn't mind good brakes the dozen (or so) times I visit a track during summer  s8) 8) s8)  I guess I could always change the pads for track, but I'd rather not...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Just my  frequent experiences on the Adria track (:http://www.adriaraceway.it) where the brakes are all. I've stainless steel brake lines, DOT 5 oil and stock rotors.
Stock pads: no fade at all but braking force could be better in comparison to EBC green pads. I can confirm that EBC warp the discs so I have changed them. Now i've stock pads again with new stock rotors and to day i've received from Japan TRD pads 9270s (range 780°Celsius m=0.60). They are black on the surface and on the box the signature is : 04491-zt310 for MRs.
mph, please: Are you referring to the same type of pads?
  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  
PS I have carefully seasoned my 2nd set of brake rotors and also the pads were bedded as suggested in : http://www.bira.org/bedding.html

markiii

interesting that you had the same issue with ebc as me. I wonder why they do that?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

To tell the truth, i've installed EBC pads on 15,000 km hard used discs. May be that were already damaged, even if they didn't vibrate still on braking..

aaronjb

I don't think either of you are alone in your experience with EBC Greenstuff pads - I killed a set of standard discs as well as a set of EBC's 'turbogroove' discs on a previous car of mine while using Greenstuff pads.

Stopped great, just a shame the discs only lasted a few thousand miles!

Oddly, I had the same experience with TarOx pads & discs, so went back to stock in the end - although it is possible that the EBC's actually killed a caliper or sliding pin at the same time.

Mintex would be my choice pad these days, although I have no experience of them on the '2 I'm afraid.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

yep I fried ebc discs as well.

Tem

Quote from: "Maurizio"They are black on the surface and on the box the signature is : 04491-zt310 for MRs.

These are the TRD Street pads mentioned above.

I wonder if the problem with these pads only occur with turbo..?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

mph

I say try them Tem. This was pre-turbo, but when I started going to faster circuits. Smaller, twistier circuits they were fine at.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Anonymous

If you are after the very best and money is no object, may I suggest having a look at Project μ.

The top of the range is the  TYPE HC-TITAN Kai.

mph

Quote from: "Emmanuel"If you are after the very best and money is no object, may I suggest having a look at Project μ.

Sorry, not impressed, certainly not for the money. 'Very best' for what? Street use perhaps, but the TRD fast road pads have a cold start of about 0.6 too, I'd guess at around the same decade as the 'type HC' graph.

Any 'decent' pad will hold above 0.45 to 700C. That their top pad is below 0.4 @ 700C speaks volumes, IMO.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Anonymous

Anyone tried IDI brake pads??

m http://www.idijp.com/sub.htm m

cool_apple

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Maurizio"They are black on the surface and on the box the signature is : 04491-zt310 for MRs.

These are the TRD Street pads mentioned above.

I wonder if the problem with these pads only occur with turbo..?

i currently using TRD street. front only, my rear is still stock. (50%-65% remaining).

i had to change the front (down to the pads indicator  s:? :? s:?  ) and got a good deal from TRD malaysia. I was the first to use them in malaysia, (few spyders here)

really nice braking now.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  some may argue about its price.

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"
Quote from: "Emmanuel"If you are after the very best and money is no object, may I suggest having a look at Project μ.

Sorry, not impressed, certainly not for the money. 'Very best' for what? Street use perhaps, but the TRD fast road pads have a cold start of about 0.6 too, I'd guess at around the same decade as the 'type HC' graph.

Any 'decent' pad will hold above 0.45 to 700C. That their top pad is below 0.4 @ 700C speaks volumes, IMO.
I guess it makes sense to have a subjective opinion about break pads as each driver has different breaking habits.  

Personally, I have found Project μ to be the best I have used so far perfectly matching my breaking preferences.  And, I agree, the TRD pads are also very good, I have never disputed that.

juansolo

On different cars so make of this what you will:

EBC (MX5 & Westfield) - Don't like them.  Not great from cold, much better with some heat in them.  However they seem to be an all or nothing pad and I find them very difficult to gauge as they give little feedback.  They wear at an amazing speed with track use.

Mintex 1144 (MX5 & Westfield) - Great all rounder for a light car.  Way better feel than the EBC's, last longer too.  Better from cold IMO also.

Stock on the Mr2 - Never had any fade issues.  Seem to take the abuse well, work from cold, better with heat in them, last well.  They'd be my choice unless it was a pure track car.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Tags: