1MZ-FE in MK3: first impressions..!

Started by Dyn-Evo, July 4, 2009, 18:56

Dyn-Evo

Right: I picked the Roadster up from Woodsport on Wednesday!!:driving:

We decided to spend a few days "up norf, like" prior to the 300 mile trip back "dahn sarf".....!

I have to say that comparing it to the Mk1 with AE101 SC engine, it just feels / sounds / IS, far superior...

I must also say that the Mk3 is a far better drive than the MK1, too.....the handling, comfort, brakes, ragtop,etc, just make it a......better car, basically....!

With the sorrowful 1ZZ, its not bad, but with the 1MZ bad-boy fitted, its just great..!

I found the gearing a little short for my liking: this is using the Mk2 5-speed box with the MK3 LSD fitted.
After a chat with Paul, I reckon the conversion would benefit from a longer final drive, possibly?

I dunno: maybe its just the way I drive currently??

I basically found that I was doing the majority of my driving in 4th and 5th gear: there was no need to change down most of the time, even on the moors....
Just push the loud pedal and you're off.....!

We did 250 miles over 3 days, and it never missed a beat: the noise is just AMAZING!

Even starting it up, it SOUNDS like it means business: we were in Whitby in some car park and the local saxo / corsa bods were milling around when we returned to the car.
When I started her up, heads turned, believe me...rotflmao

It will be SO easy to get banned in this: it cruises on the M-way in 5th @ around 3k rpm doing around 70.
When you apply a little pressure to the pedal, suddenly you're doing 90 @ only 4k.......

I was taking it easy, but I reckon if you really floored it, it would be quite scary...!:D

I'm going to sort the brakes and suspension...then it'll be just perfect, I reckon..?

The engine is very relaxed: its hardly doing any real work.
After lugging a 10-ton Camry around, it must think all its xmas's have come at once.....?

I was considering possibly removing the ABS / PS..but I'll DEFO keep both now: it makes sense, I think..?!

Oh..before I forget: another bonus is the fuel economy!!

Can you believe on the way home, I got the best part of 300 miles out of a tank of regular unleaded..!!!!!!!!

Its a 3L V6, ffs...!?

Happy days!

However, if driven a little "harder", I reckon it'll be possible to empty a tank in under 100 miles, easy!  I WAS being careful, after all.....!

But it goes to show, big engines dont ALWAYS have to be gas guzzlers.....!

Conclusion...?

SO far; loving it....!:thumbsup:
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

Anonymous

Well done on pushing the boundaries of what is possible.  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

enid_b

bet nigel is jealous, he will have to amend his sig now.  good work chap!  i only wish i could have done this to mine whilst i had it.
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

Nigel (dad) is soooo going to crack and bung a V8 in the back now!

enid_b

DO IT!!!!! DO IT NOW !!!!
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Dyn-Evo

I made the BIG mistake of looking in the back of PW's Mk1 AUdi V8 conversion when I was up there...and the mind started having naughty thoughts....  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Last year, I was planning on buying a Mk3 non-runner, buying PW's 1UZ-FE / gearbox, and getting to work with the angle-grinder...!

....but then sanity set  back in, and after much deliberation went for the (then new) 1MZ-FE conversion.

Its easy to get starry-eyed about the "bigger is better" engine syndrome: indeed i was talking with Paul in 2007 about sticking a BMW V12 in the back of a (SEVERELY MODDED) Mk1.......££££££££££££££! (which I cannot really justify)

Personally, I think anything over 300hp in a Mk3 is simply too much...?
Sure...it'll shoot off like a bat out of hell.....but then you have to stop it (brake upgrade), redress the balance of the car (suspension upgrade)....and then theres the question of getting the power down onto the tarmac efficiently to be able to USE it....

Another overlooked factor is the gear ratios.....My car defo could do with a longer final drive (IMHO!)
With the effortless power available, you dont need to rev over 3k (unless your in a hurry / racing!), so basically 2nd gear ratio could really be 1st....?

This does present a problem (unless you have VERY deep pockets).
The various conversion options available all use a certain engine / gearbox-that-fits combination....
The bigger / more HP the engine, the more noticeable / critical this will surely become?

My car would be perfect if it had a 7-speed gearbox, or even a longer final drive....but then it gets costly, and finding one that is compatible, etc.......  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Dont get me wrong...a V8 in a Mk3 sounds good...but consider the cost and the required extra mods required / desired to make it a good drive.........  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.

Anonymous

Or you could buy a better car in the first place

*runs*  s;) ;) s;)

Dyn-Evo

Quote from: "Dan M"Or you could buy a better car in the first place

*runs*  s;) ;) s;)
LOL!

........keep runnin'..!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Thats a good point, though...

A V8 conversion like that is gonna be getting on for £15-20k when all is said and done.....?

..And you can buy an awful lot of car for that sort of money.......worth bearing in mind...?  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Ah, life would be incredibly dull if we all just saved up and bought the best cars instead of modifying our own, and places like this wouldn't exist. Given that I'm still considering an LS3 conversion on the Zed in the future, it's hypocritical of me to be too critical at this point.

If you truly love your car, and accept that you're basically throwing money away you'll never get back, and know you're going to love the end result, then why not? Life's too short to worry otherwise.

Anonymous

You would have to sell the wife, the kids, re-mortgauge and probably go on the game....but come on...V8....that sound is all kinds of worth it!

It is a pipe dream to all of us but one day someone will have the funds (crazyness) to do it properly and we will LOVE IT!  :-) :-) :-)

Until then the V6 is one HOT car and very good value for money.

(PS I have just come back from the festival of speed, so at this point I would happily sell my soul for a ridiculous car!)  :-) :-) :-)

Rogue

Quote from: "Dyn-Evo"Another overlooked factor is the gear ratios.....My car defo could do with a longer final drive (IMHO!)
With the effortless power available, you dont need to rev over 3k (unless your in a hurry / racing!), so basically 2nd gear ratio could really be 1st....?

We put a taller final drive in our 1MZ-FE equipped mk3 as part of it's initial build, you'd be welcome to give it a go if you're anywhere near Coventry. I'd be interested to see what it's like with the standard final drive! Have you used the S54 gearbox?

Patrick

Dyn-Evo

As far as I'm aware, yes: Mk2 N/A box......

However, Paul has fitted the LSD (3.94:1?)from the UK Mk3, which will alter things somewhat....? perhaps this is the cause....?

Looking a little closer, the E53 diff (3.625:1) would have been more comfortable for me, perhaps..?  But I have got LSD....  s:? :? s:?  

I suppose I could simply run larger rear wheels..!?  s:D :D s:D

WillsSayers

Interesting read! I should be picking mine up next week I believe  s:) :) s:)  Did you go for the extended 5th gear as well?

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

northernalex

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Interesting read! I should be picking mine up next week I believe  s:) :) s:)  Did you go for the extended 5th gear as well?

Wills is yours no the cast iron block 3vzme or something? not the aluminium block of the 1mz-fe? Or am I missing something?

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "northernalex"
Quote from: "WillsSayers"Interesting read! I should be picking mine up next week I believe  s:) :) s:)  Did you go for the extended 5th gear as well?

Wills is yours no the cast iron block 3vzme or something? not the aluminium block of the 1mz-fe? Or am I missing something?

Alex

And why haven't us fellow Geordies been invited to the Picking Up and Grinning Like a Loon Party at Woodsport?  Or to the last one for that matter!  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Dyn-Evo

Unfortunately, the 5th-mod was an up-and-coming mod at the time that WS re-built the gearbox....  s:( :( s:(  

The box / 1MZ were installed in the car by the time it was proven to be a goer...... would have been a lot of work to rebuild the box again to fit the Avensis cogs....!

WillsSayers

Quote from: "northernalex"Wills is yours no the cast iron block 3vzme or something? not the aluminium block of the 1mz-fe? Or am I missing something?

Alex

Missing something indeed, me ol' mucker! I've got the 1mz (alloy lump) sat in my car at the moment. The kindly Mr. Woods has also done a bit of headwork on it as I understand, so the final figure should sit at 220 - 225 bhp I believe, with extended 5th gear and LSD. He's also fixed a bit of rust on the subframe (created a thread about that a while ago) and he should be slopping some underseal under the car too!

Quote from: "evileye_xc"And why haven't us fellow Geordies been invited to the Picking Up and Grinning Like a Loon Party at Woodsport?  Or to the last one for that matter!  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Phil

Ofc everyone's welcome! I was actually going to send a few PMs out last night but I was at the missus' house doing some holiday hunting! I think Paul's expecting it to be done by end of next week latest, but I'm planning on going on holiday next week so won't be around to collect it until Saturday (17th) or during the week. When is more convenient for you lads, I can tek a day off work if needs be. Altho I do need to get the car tax'd and MOT'd once everyone's done abusing it xD

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::

WillsSayers

Quote from: "Dyn-Evo"Unfortunately, the 5th-mod was an up-and-coming mod at the time that WS re-built the gearbox....  s:( :( s:(  

The box / 1MZ were installed in the car by the time it was proven to be a goer...... would have been a lot of work to rebuild the box again to fit the Avensis cogs....!

Now lad,

Greg, isn't it? Well I'll let you know how long motorway cruising feels when I pick it up. Can't be much worse than my mk2, that always feels like it's reving high!

I'd definitely like to have a ROC dyno day some time, would be good to see how our V6s compare with consistancy (spesh with Nige's there too), as well as how they hold up to the turbo lads and ladies!

loadswine

I've tried both versions of the box now and although the original configuration was a little short on the motorway, ( superb acceleration in fifth though   s:) :) s:)  ), the rest of the gears were fine for my engine. My engine is , of course ,the older cast iron block 3VZ-FE, whereas Greg's , Wills' and Patrick's all use the 1MZ-FE with an alloy block, that probably has a bit more power and torque as well, plus being lighter. ( the alloy lump wasn't available to me for my swap).
I find the longer fifth gear that is now on my box gives pretty much the perfect mix for me now, though first is a little short, its not a real problem. Acceleration is excellent on mine, so should be outstanding on the 1MZ cars.
I'm pleased you are enjoying yours Greg, thought you would  s8) 8) s8)  . I certainly wouldn't swap my Roadster for anything this side of very exotic, its just so much fun for the use I put it to.   s:D :D s:D  
Always a pleasure to see my mates in the area whenever I'm up at Woodsport. Looking forward to the treasure hunt and seeing you guys again.  s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Star_69

So what is the hp&tq output of these badboys? Are you guys all running the original ecu from the donor car? What do they rev to? Im guessing revs are irrelevant and it just goes   s:D :D s:D
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

WillsSayers

I think as standard they're 205bhp and about 200ft/lb! And I think they rev to 6 - 7k, cant' remember off the top of my head......!

Star_69

Nice   s:D :D s:D
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

Dyn-Evo

Yeh: as above...around 200, both figures.....Mind you, Pauls done a bit of headwork on mine, too....  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I recommend the Cobra quad-exit, too....sounds / looks A1..!

The cars running the 1ZZ ECU for dash, alarm, etc.....
The 1MZ ECU is handling engine stuff: I'm going to be "playing" with ECU stuff: trying a US Lexus ECU, and ultimately a (severely modded!)Megasquirt 2.

The overall plan is to ditch BOTH ECUs amd run MS2 for everything, but theres a long way to go before thats a reality.....  s:D :D s:D  

Nigel: interesting you say the 1st is short......thats my main bugbear......!
I'm tempted to just pull off in 2nd: I had a BMW in the early '90s which could rev to 5k in 1st, and you'd only be going about 8mph..!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

5th in the Mk3 IS sublime, mind you...its almost like driving an auto...!?  s8) 8) s8)

WillsSayers

Greg, where abouts in England ya from?

As I said before, I wouldn't mind a rolling road day! Glad to see you're enjoying it that much though, definitely a good sign. Any more thoughts now you've been testing for a while?

northernalex

Darn now I raelly one one even more.  So jelous of you all!

Thing is .. spend several thousand on a V6 conversion?, OR spend that money 'upgrading' the car to a clio V6, Scooby, or S2000.. its always such a hard decision!!!

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Tags: