1MZ-FE in MK3: first impressions..!

Started by Dyn-Evo, July 4, 2009, 18:56

loadswine

If its going to come down to resale values, then changing over to a different car might be the best way to go for a lot of people, as you can't perform the "back to stock and sell bits on routine" with the V6.
We have no real yardstick of how much one is worth seliing on, as they are so rare and will only ever be purchased by enthusiasts. Anyone who has driven one usually likes it though.
I've always liked the Clio V6, but would never swap mine for one.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

loadswine

Just had a look on the Woodsport webcam. There is a silver one there on the ramp, come on fess up, who's having the next V6 then?

Dyn-Evo

TBH, last year I was considering a VX220 or V6 Clio as my "new" car.....

But looking at the weight of the Clio, and the fact that most £10k VX turbos have most likely been stacked on track and had front/rear clamshells, etc replaced (and I didnt wanna go to £14k for a "decent" one!), the Mk3 / V6 combo was a no-brainer, really....  s:D :D s:D  

As I'll probably have the Mk3 for , ooh, 3 -4 years...I reckon I'll probably get an R32 or Megane F1 next (or something along those lines.......!)

Something you can put a few cases / passengers in, basically..but still a bit "special"...  s8) 8) s8)
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

WillsSayers

Quote from: "loadswine"Just had a look on the Woodsport webcam. There is a silver one there on the ramp, come on fess up, who's having the next V6 then?

Oooh, does that mean mine's off the ramps? Or is it t'other ramp?

I did see the silver one there t'other day though, although it was just parked up. Didn't cross my mind to ask!

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

Dyn-Evo

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Greg, where abouts in England you from?

Worthing, Sussex...!  s:D :D s:D  

See you're...erm...close..to Woodsport..?!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

There have been times over the last 5 months where I wished I lived a little closer, too.......!  s:D :D s:D  

RR days are not my bag, really.....  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I'll drive the car for the rest of the year as is, planning the next mods in the meantime.......
Then over the winter /spring I'll fit the TRD stuff, sort the brakes.........

Then..its off to the 'Pod and the 'Ring next summer......!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.

WillsSayers

Ha, no way - I used to live in Brighton and I've been to Worthing a fair few times  s;) ;) s;)  Still got a big dirty Southern accent despite living oop noorth! Yeah Woodsport's about a 10 minute drive from work! Convenient  s:) :) s:)  Not that I've been able to go as often as I'd have liked.........!

Can't say I'm a huge RR fan, but I'd love to get a figure for pub bragging rights, y'knar!

Sounds good, fancy creating a project thread some time? I'd love to see what's planned and how it goes when it's happening  s:) :) s:)  Only thing I've got planned for mine at the moment is to try and source some performance 'zorst manifolds, as the stock ones look quite restrictive to me.........?

Rumours abound of me and the lads going to the 'Ring next year too.........

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::

loadswine

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Oooh, does that mean mine's off the ramps? Or is it t'other ramp?

I did see the silver one there t'other day though, although it was just parked up. Didn't cross my mind to ask!

Yes. Wills, yours is off the ramps and is standing on its wheels in pole position by the doors now by the look of it.
Probably just a bit of fettling and its ready for you to add your impressions as well.  s:D :D s:D

WillsSayers

Quote from: "loadswine"Yes. Wills, yours is off the ramps and is standing on its wheels in pole position by the doors now by the look of it.
Probably just a bit of fettling and its ready for you to add your impressions as well.  s:D :D s:D

*Jumps up and down in an excited state of giddyness!*

Dyn-Evo

Wills...
Prepare for lift-off..!!   s:D :D s:D

hudster

Quote from: "loadswine"Just had a look on the Woodsport webcam. There is a silver one there on the ramp, come on fess up, who's having the next V6 then?
GUILTY  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  spoke to paul today says it should be ready in 2 weeks
Red Mr2 Roadster 2GR 3.5 V6

loadswine

Good for you, you will absolutely love it!   s8) 8) s8)

hudster

was gonna do the mk1 if i could stop it rusting but then i saw ur mk3!
Red Mr2 Roadster 2GR 3.5 V6

WillsSayers

A mk1 would be lovely tbh!

Picking up mine tomorrow................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WillsSayers

Greg, if you want this to be in a seperate thread, just let me know and I'll get a mod to split 'em......!

Right, so I got mine back! Must say, it's a different beast. It doesn't half shift, it's crazy, and the noise is just beautiful......... Picked it up from Woodsport just after lunch on Friday, and slowly tip-toe'd it round the corner to the petrol station (something I'm beginning to feel will be a regular occurance)! Not really in the mood for a proper write up as I'm bare tired, but feel free to ask any questions.

Things I like:
  • The way the nose of the car seems to point to the air under heavy accerleration.
  • The sound. Oh my God it's just lovely. Granted mine is through an Apexi induction kit, but it just sounds beautiful. With the 1zz, I had to hit about 5k revs til the sound really began to sound good, where-as this just roars from 2k and up. Being bright yellow, the car's a bit eye-catching as it is - but now people turn around to have a look when they hear me coming!
  • It is rapid. I've never driven a V6 before, and the 1zz is in fact the fastest car I've driven in the first place (except for the 2zz Celica I test-drove for my brother), so I don't really have a huge basis for comparrison. But dear Lord, you touch the Go Faster Pedal, and it does what you expect it to.

Things I'm not so keen on:
  • The car's going to be making it's way back to Woodsport! It seems the drive shaft from the gearbox to the drivers side rear wheel has just completely popped out. The gearbox has always been a bit clunky since I got it back, so I wonder if it was never fitted in perfectly? But one Saturday afternoon phone call to Paul and he's more than happy to take it back in to get it fixed! Really can't fault this guy's services!
  • I THINK it's tramlining like a bitch. Now, this could be one of three things, or even a mixture of all three........? Firstly, I know the passenger side front shock absorber is leaking oil. Secondly, I've had wider tyres fitted (205 and 225/45/16 Toyo T1-Rs), so maybe my tyre pressures aren't helping? It's currently set to 30 front, 34 rear - any ideas? Thirdly, I'm wondering if the above problem with the drive shaft has caused an issue? Now, the gearbox has the LSD from the mk3 gearbox in it. What I'm thinking is, could the drive shaft not being correctly in place caused the LSD to be freaking out, and doing all sorts of weird things in regards to power delivery?

As I said, any questions please fire them over  s:) :) s:) )))

Dyn-Evo

Its cool, Wills..! This can be a general "first impressions" thread..!  s:D :D s:D  

Funny..my gear select is a little clunky, too: I put it down to me being used to the Mk1 gate, and reckoned that its just gonna take some getting used to..?

Mine is at the gate end, not the box end, though.....?
Does your passenger side window work..?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I dont think you'll be visiting the petrol station QUITE as often as you may expect: on a run, its really quite good, I reckon....?!

Mind you, i also think that you could use a whole tank on a couple of laps of the 'Ring........?  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Have you got a "Blitz" coolant system cap, by any chance? Mine had (has?) a coolant pressure problem which Paul puts down to a dodgy cap.
He sent me a Blitz 1.3bar race cap which he reckons will sort the problem....jury's out...!  s:D :D s:D  

Problem was coolant being ejected into the expansion tank at higher revs (4k+). Obviously, assuming everything else is working ok, and the system is sealed, the coolant gets sucked back into the system again under vacuum, but say you constantly boot it, or your on a long straigh on track....? it could be a problem then..?
I have done 800 miles in mine and its ok so far, but I was keeping revs sub-4.5k..?

Just one to keep an eye on....  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

WillsSayers

Sounds good to me!

I don't mean clunky as in a bit stiff or anything like that, I mean I could audible hear a clunk occassionally when I slipped it in to gear. Sometimes 3rd, sometimes 4th...... Not particularly consistant. But this may well be due to the issue I've had with my driveshaft popping out of the gearbox for a rest........! Could well be at the gate end, not really had it long enough to find out ;D

Haha, my passenger window does work.....! Does yours not?! I do however have a big red button for my aircon now (if my system didn't have a new leak, I'd use it too  s:( :( s:( ) which floods the car with a red light comparable to the power of three suns!!

Well I do quite a bit of quick driving, so not sure how economical it'll be.......? But should be fine on long journeys, 'spesh with the extended 5th gear! Saying that, maybe I'll just boot it along the motorway in 3rd gear to enjoy the sound...............

Hmm, don't remember the cap being any different? What are the symptoms of the coolant issue like.....?

Overall - and especially once I get the car back - I must say I'm happy as that lad called Larry. It's a huge change, and completely warrants the price in my opinion! Would definitely recommend Woodsport to anyone else around here!

Dyn-Evo

Yeh..Paul is totally uncompromising when it comes to getting the job done 100%...!

Rare these days: someone prepared to go the extra mile for their customers, not just a rip off..?!  s:D :D s:D  

I spoke to Paul this morning re: the coolant issue.....

Its really nothing to worry about: yours DOES have the Blitz cap.....

Its just a case of the seal not being 100% on my car when subjected to excess pressure from the coolant pump.
Yours was fine: the cap on my car had a "weak" spring...should be ok now...!

The check is to disconnect the small hose on the coolant cap housing 9which goes to the expansion tank), allow the engine to idle up to temperature, then give the throttle some decent revs......
No coolant should come out of the outlet on the coolant housing if things are a-ok!

As I say..it was just a quirk on my car, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it...!

Re: pass window...the connector was directly over the gear linkage, so Ollie "forgot" to plug it back in when putting things back together again!
Paul did a "mod" at the roadside to enable fitment...!  s:D :D s:D

WillsSayers

Aiye totally agree with you. Hmm, maybe I should be paid commission for every new customer I send his way......? ;D

Ha, cheers man! Good to know  s:D :D s:D  Looks like my issue has been caused by the drive shaft reaching the end of its life....... Looks like a bearing's bust or something, the drive shaft's ended up outside the gearbox, and smashed in to the Timing belt tensioner......  s:( :( s:(  So Paul's gunna be sorting out a new belt and tensioner, as well as a new drive shaft! He's also said this is more than likely causing the car to feel so twitchy on the road! Could be another 2 weeks til I get the car back, which is a bit gutting  s:( :( s:(  But will be worth the wait  s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D

Haha, what did the roadside mod include?! I like to think a coat hanger, wire cutter and a bit of electrical tape..........!

Dyn-Evo

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Haha, what did the roadside mod include?! I like to think a coat hanger, wire cutter and a bit of electrical tape..........!

Think along the lines of a large lump of wood and a decent sized hammer, and you're not far off.........!!  s:D :D s:D

WillsSayers

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!

Got it back for an hour.... And the immobiliser's packed it in :

Mr. Woods is yet again being fantastic about him, top marks to him.........!

loadswine

Hope you get it all fixed quickly Wills, I'm looking forward to the vids mate. Once the little teething troubles are sorted these things are just so much fun. I am so enjoying mine, it is superb.

WillsSayers

Every time I get to drive it, it brings a ridiculous ear-to-ear smile to my face, so I know it's all worth the wait. It's just devastating getting the car back for such short times  s:D :D s:D

WillsSayers

Off to collect it at 4pm........... Again ;D

loadswine

Enjoy mate!  s8) 8) s8)

WillsSayers

Whooooooooooooosh!

Two days and not broken down yet! Being reasonably gentle with the car at the moment, especially since one of my shocks is looking a bit sorry for itself, but my God, if I need to overtake on a straight stretch, nothing can stop it! And the sound is absolutely breath taking. I'm hoping the sun stays out til 4:30, as I'd love to drop the top for the run home!

Tags: