Want to increase BHP

Started by Acehole, July 5, 2009, 13:17

Acehole

Ok im not gonna try and fool anyone cause i dont know nothing about engines or anything else performance wise so no flaming.

But i live in essex uk. Ive just completed jdl bodykit on ym car and it looks awsome and i have also had straight through exhaust system which now sounds awsome  s:D :D s:D . heres the but......... its only standard bhp, i want to increase it to 190+tbh and the more the better within safe reasons, nothing thats gonna do engine in. As i know nothing and have no knowledge and u honestly could not explain as i would not understand, is there somewhere in the uk (close to essex if not in essex) that i could simply take my mr2 to and they do it all for me? turbo? i read about 2zz (prefer not to go that route though) or anything else that can improve bhp thats safe for engine.

Yes im noob sorry. HELP! thanks
Ex Owner of a ...2000 X Silver (1DO) Air con with Red leather and Hardtop, JDL spoiler, 17" Momo Corse wheels, Custom exhaust system by Pipecraft, K&N 57i Gen2 Cold Air Induction Kit Facelift Indies. Full main dealer history

Acehole

P.S cost is no problem unless it starts to go above £2000
Ex Owner of a ...2000 X Silver (1DO) Air con with Red leather and Hardtop, JDL spoiler, 17" Momo Corse wheels, Custom exhaust system by Pipecraft, K&N 57i Gen2 Cold Air Induction Kit Facelift Indies. Full main dealer history

Wabbitkilla

To get 190+ bhp you're looking at way over £2k!
Sorry, but if you want that kind of power you're going to have to spend, or get a car that already has that power.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Not for £2K you won't. In short, if you want 190+bhp then you've bought the wrong car. Tbh if you hadn't bought a huge bodykit and had a torque-killing straight-through exhaust made then you may well have had enough to do it via the turbo route, but I wouldn't be looking at power like that for under £2K.

Acehole

How much am i looking at then for turbo route? or how much bhp can i get for 2k?

I can get loan and go turbo route
or could get as much bhp as possible with the 2k i have which would be what? 160perhaps?

I love mr2 so buying a faster car is not an option. i got 45k on clock and im planning on keeping till it has to R.I.P

Anonymous

Don't go in debt for a turbo conversion, it's really not worth it. Budget around £4K for one to do semi-properly at least, depending on kit.

160bhp sounds more than reasonable, cams + chipping will give you that and more all day long.

Acehole

Sorry to be pain Dan, but have u got any links where i can buy that sort of thing from? Thanks

Wabbitkilla

Currently the only drive in and drive out turbo source is Thor linky.But we're yet to see any proven results from them and they're pretty pricey.

You can source items to upgrade the N/A engine from many of our affiliates, intake+exhaust+ecu(or piggy back)+stage1 cams can get you in the region of 165bhp. Have a search around the site and you'll see a few cars that have taken variations of those routes. The majority of turbo conversions are those where people have bought kits and fitted themselves (or paid to have them fitted).
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Acehole

typing all kinds of things in google no luck  s:( :( s:(

Liz

Hello to another Essex member...I think that you should search on here, this is the source for the Mk3 after all, have a trawl though the performance section, there are threads in there on what people have done to increase their outputs.  Good luck.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Acehole

was just in middle of doing that liz  s:) :) s:)  ty. i let u know what i decide

Acehole

Not having alot of luck to be honest, seen a few cold air intake kits i could buy for £250 but thats not gonna increase bhp by much, say 10max if im lucky?...but interests me  s:) :) s:)

Ive looked through forums in spare time but nothing is catching my eye O_o , re-open this convo... to many peoples dislike im sure..

1k cash to spend to gain as much bhp as humanly possible
or
Loan for turbo, (dont wanna go 2zz route to much aggro)

I know some say dont bother about loan but if im keeping car for 5years.... then a turbo for 5 years will certainly add to my enjoyment very much, so would be worth it.

But is there a simple route for 1k to get around 160-165? cant seem to find the idea's

P.s im not being lazy must have looked on about 15different websites and spent about 8hours now on forums.

If any1 has favourite links to parts that would be up my street that would be sexy ty. or names of parts that will increase bhp so i can google. I hear of unichips also! anygood

Any info would be grand and any flames better be funny  s;) ;) s;)

uktotty

£1000 will get you a chip, intake and exhausts.
Maz gain around 15bhp for all of them

Like the guys say to get 190 you need more money or stick a 2zz in there which I believe is 190 out of the box

Wabbitkilla

Nothing is certain when going for mods to improve power and any option really needs rolling road time to make the best of it.
You need to spend more that £1k to get to 165bhp.

I'm not sure now how much my setup has cost me altogether but the Apexi PFC and rolling road tune cost more than that on its own.
You are not going to make that kind of power with the standard ECU, and the e-Manage (at around £350) will need rolling road tune (£400-£500).
But the e-Manage on it's own won't gain you that kind of power, you  need a free-er flowing air filter and exhaust at least to back it up.

I estimate you need at least £2k to get to 165-ish bhp.
When you consider Evileye was selling his PE Turbo setup for £1400, plus you need some kind of piggy back ecu with it (e-Manage is the cheapest route), rolling road tune would take to to approx £2.5k for 200ish bhp.
Depends what kind of car you want to drive, the N/A is quite different to a turbo powered car to drive.

You may as well put the money away, save up and wait for opportunities to come along for performance parts and save a bit more on top of it.
There's no easy route to noticeable power increase, there's no really cheap route to it either (unless you buy an already mod'd car).

And i don't mind you brining up an old subject.... it's good to see someone doing it, maintaining the story as it were.

spit

Its a terrible thought but it meets your criteria - nitrous kit will get you to the figures you're aiming for at the budget you're suggesting. It might be good for the occasional gung-ho squirt but I'm not convinced that its your answer on this type of car and I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to recommend that you consider it.

In fact, ignore this!  s:D :D s:D
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Wabbitkilla

NI will probably seriously shorten the life of the gearbox   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

philster_d

Yeah about 2 grand will probably get you a second hand C2 kit, if you can find one, and that can see you comfortably up to 260-270 (or whatever lower level you so chose)

Phil

Acehole

thanks all  s:D :D s:D  checking it all out now  s;) ;) s;)

markiii

just buy Phils turbo kit an emanage  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

evileye_wrx

Well if the buyer drops out that is a possibility, but last I heard he was still up for it. I don't know what sort of improvement the PFC would give on it's own as everyone who's put one into an N/A has added cams as well

You could try lightening the car to give more speed. By say adding a carbon fibre bonnet and engine lid as well as APR carbon Fibre wing mirrors. (That shameless plug as even embarrassed me!!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

markiii

well from memory Dan got 159bhp with removed precats, TTE exhaust, one of my inlet pipes, lightened flywheel and a unichip

I reckon Phils PFC, remove precats, lightened flywheel and oneof my intake pipes and your going to be close
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

evileye_wrx

and I concur with Mark's excellent opinion   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "markiii"well from memory Dan got 159bhp with removed precats, TTE exhaust, one of my inlet pipes, lightened flywheel and a unichip

I reckon Phils PFC, remove precats, lightened flywheel and oneof my intake pipes and your going to be close

Sounds good to me   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Still over a grand though? Maybe not be much

Tags: