Which gaskets for Che manifold & downpipe ?

Started by Tamasbako, July 25, 2009, 20:27

Tamasbako

I have a che manifold for well over a year now. Not sure if the head to manifold gasket is good but, can't tell really. I recently bought a che downpipe as my cat was dying and decided to make a shortcut there (for now). What I did noticed is that the che manifold + downpipe combo doesn't seem to work with the toyota O ring gaskets. They don't fit in !? Anyone had similar issues with this combo ?

Also is there a gasket between the downpipe and the exhaust ? As it looks like the original cat had an inner tube that extends and goes into the exhaus (khm.. penetrates it if I'm using the correct word  s:) :) s:)  but the che downpipe doesn't have that inner tube extended just a cheap gasket that goes between the two.

So anyone with similar CHE components who managed to get it all right and possibly some part numbers ?  s:) :) s:)  I might be asking too much but need to sort this out as I fitted it together temporarily but it sounds like there's an air leak in the system and I'm pretty sure there is.. or there are  s:) :) s:)

Tamasbako

Err.. okay so anyone with a Che manifold/downpipe could confirm that the o-rings fit between the CHE downpipe manifold and the donut gasket fits between the downpipe/stock exhaust ? I'm asking because the CHE downpipe doesn't seem to have inset on the o-ring part and doesn't seem to have the extension on the exhaust end where the donut gasket goes on top. Anyone with CHE downpipe guys ?

As I'm still looking for a leak  s:) :) s:)

spit

Tom - I've got Phil here and we're trying to remember !

You're right, the Che decat pipe doesn't have the recess for the Toyota rings, and can be a source for leak.

At the other end, yes, its just a facing gasket rather than the taper fit that you get with the stock MrT cat and exhaust using the donut.

Not sure how this helps, other than to confirm what you've said   s:? :? s:?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tamasbako

Well hopefully it won't be an issue once I get "Phil's package"  s:) :) s:)  and go down that route but until then I guess I'll need some sealants to make it leak-free. Checked on Spyderchat and looks like they have the same issues overthere with the Che downpipe which means I might use the dodgy gaskets that came with the downpipe along with some exhaust sealants so it won't leak... as it's going to be temporary for a month or two anyway.

Just thought there are some ROC members with CHE downpipes already gone through this issue but looks like they're all on holiday or don't want to tell bad news  s:) :) s:)

Tom

Tags: