(Suspension) The time I was dreading has seemingly arrived..

Started by WillsSayers, August 4, 2009, 12:56

WillsSayers

.... Where I have to spend money on new suspension. Right, one of my shocks has sprung a leak, and has seemingly departed with its previously contained oil. Bah hum bug.

Can I just replace the shocks, or am I going to have the same issue with top mounts etc (or was it some sort of joint) where they need to be cut out......? Anyone got a rough idea how much this should cost? So far I've been quoted £165 per shock (inc. fitting)..........! Going to drop CTP a PM too.

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

markiii

if your replacing with stock get the koni inserts, cheaper and better

stock shocks are bar, no top mounts, no bump stops, no dustcovers

if all of those are buggered to better bet is a full set of coilovers

if its just one shock and the rest are fine you could replace just the pair on that axle, no need for all 4

however I'd take teh opportunity to upgrade were it me
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

muffdan

Jeez. Unlucky Will.

I think it's the drop links that are the buggers. £165 a shock is shocking. Find someone breaking a '2 and buy their shocks. I sold a full spare set I had yesterday for £100 as it happens (which I'd previously bought off Mark).

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

WillsSayers

I wouldn't even know where to look to find someone breaking a Roadster  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Mark,

As far as I know, it's JUST the shock that needs replacing, as the seal has gone and the oil's leaked out. Would a garage still need to faff about with the drop links to replace the stock shocks with Konis?

I'd love to take the opportunity to take the coilies, but this is potentially delaying my euro trip as it is, yet alone if I spent £600 odd on coilies :

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::

Dyn-Evo

Wills.

Bearing in mind you have the V6, I'd DEFO go for adjustable, uprated ones.......

....seeing as you've gotta spend some dosh, anyway...?   s:? :? s:?  

Seems to make sense, as then you can tweak the handling to the V6 / your preferred setup...and you'll have the peace of mind that all your suspension is in tip-top order......  s8) 8) s8)

I'm still deciding which way to go: but it certainly won't be stock spec......!  s:D :D s:D
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

WillsSayers

Greg, money being the ever present incentive to spend cheaply at the moment  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

m http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 2418p11515 m
Looking at this, the ones on the Fensport page are KYB, are the Kayaba ones on Camskill the same product? And are these the Koni's or not? £144 for the pair certainly doesn't seem like a bad price to me!

StuM

Wills,

The Camskill ones are Gas filled, so slightly different (better?) than the oil filled stock ones.  Koni only sell inserts, not the full shock.  They are supposed to be great, but will cost more to fit as they are not a straight swap - they involve keeping some of the stock part and bolting in the insert, giving you a hybrid of the two.  There is a link on here somewhere to a guy on Spyderchat that did a photo guide to doing it.

Toyota one (IIRC) were around £250 for a set of four - CTP's website lists them and the prices:

http://www.cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=148&Itemid=26

Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

WillsSayers

I know this will make several of you cry, but I may go for the stock shocks from CTP. Will ring a few places for fitting! Just the wrong month to be spending countless hundreds on suspension  s:( :( s:(

markiii

will, if its a rear shock then your going to have to piss around with droplinks

if its a front you won;t

the droplinks mount differently front to back

if you change for stock do them in pairs

but seriously teh Koni inserts are adjustable, cheaper, and if you own a hacksaw aren;t exactly hard to fit, you keep sayng you want to work on teh car more nows your chance  :-) :-) :-)

or just get Mr Woods to do it, the labour will be more than covered by teh £80 per corner saving
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

StuM

Quote from: "markiii"£80 per corner saving

But I thought stock shocks were £140 for a pair of fronts, whereas the Koni inserts were £85 per shock?
Stu M

markiii

nope £165 a corner

WillsSayers

Exactly that Stu, by my reckoning, that makes stock cheaper than Koni's! The link I put above lists it as £144 for the PAIR of front shocks.........?

Mark, it's the front shock. This would technically just be an interim fix whilst I save pennies for new suspension. I know I keep saying I want to learn to work on cars, but that's what my mk2 is for! I've been told by friends that I'm not allowed to do any DIY on my Roadster  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

StuM

Stu M

Tags: