Safe EGT - then drifted into Charge Cooler install

Started by muffdan, August 4, 2009, 16:56

Ilogik

Hey jason, where did you get your EGT gauge? and is it straight forward to fit?  Sound like something worthwhile to monitor.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

muffdan

I can't remember where I got the guage from, the DEFI range I wanted was disconintued and I had to buy each of the three guages and the control unit from a different supplier who happened to still have one on the shelf still.

Fitting the sensor isn't necessarily simple as you have to have an appropriate place to tap the hole into the manifold or exhaust and have enough material to securely hit it. I was lucky in that I have a thick sandwich plate between the TTET manifold and the turbo which was ideal for mounting into. I also had to extend the loom as there wasn't enough to get the electricals from the rear of the car to the dash, this wasn't a big job though and neither was the mounting / wiring of the guage and control unit.

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Ilogik

Boost gauge I could handle fitting, this sounds beyond my abilities   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Is the car all mapped now bud? What did thor say about your EGT reading if so?

muffdan

The car isn't mapped yet, still got the 5k rev limit. I'm going to get this CC install sorted first before taking it back.

Rogue should be able to sort the fitting of the EGT sensor for you, its only the install into the manifold that is difficult, the rest of it is a piece of cake.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

philster_d

I am going to sell a few of my Defi gauges as i changed my mind on exactly what i wanted to do.

phil

muffdan

alrighty, that radiator is bought  s:) :) s:)
Jason

markiii

pics? lets make sure its teh right on
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

muffdan

Jason

Tem

Quote from: "muffdan"I hit the peak button on my guage this morning and it read 1180 degrees

That's pretty high, even for a peak.

Might wanna add some fuel to cool things down...? Not sure if the chargecooler alone makes a huge difference.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "muffdan"I hit the peak button on my guage this morning and it read 1180 degrees

That's pretty high, even for a peak.

Might wanna add some fuel to cool things down...? Not sure if the chargecooler alone makes a huge difference.

it will help teh inlet temps but do bugger all for teh egt
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

philster_d

could the high temps be explained by the fact that they never finished your mapping properly? arent you on a limp home map at the moment? (sorry MK2 terminoligy its the safety mode)

PS what are the dimensions of that rad if you dont mind me asking.

Phil

Tem

Quote from: "philster_d"could the high temps be explained by the fact that they never finished your mapping properly? arent you on a limp home map at the moment?

If that's the case, then it's very likely just that.

Retarded ignition is safe when it comes to knock, but it also causes bloody high EGT's if pushed.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Dyn-Evo

Getting back to a "safe" EGT.......

I would certainly aim for a MAX of 950c: anything above this and things are getting too lean.......

In fact, Id go as far as to say 900c is where you should be at with a blown engine, slightly less for NA....?   s8) 8) s8)  

EGT should go up as you accelerate / under load, and then drop off when you lift: if it goes up under deceleration, then things are WAY too lean.

Ideally you need to tune using both a WBO2 sensor AND the EGT together.........

2000C is an imminent blown engine: unless its for a very short time using gas, then maybe its OK...I dont know TBH....but that sounds either inaccurately measured, or, more likely, its in fahrenheit...!!

2000F is 1093C, which in turn is 1366k....  s:D :D s:D
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

custardavenger

[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

muffdan

Thanks for the input.

The EGT does drop when I lift, but still under my 'normal' everyday driving (gentle acceleration off boost) the temps are between 700 and 800 centigrade.

The map is 'safe' but I don't know how safe or why it's safe. They mapped it to 15psi which I'm pretty sure is way above wastegate pressure and it has a rev limit of just under 5k. For those that don't know, the safe map was put on it because the VVTi isn't functioning. Perhaps the timing is quite retarded. I didn't realise that would increase the EGT but if that is the cause then it sounds like this isn't going to be a long term issue.

Actually, it just occured to me, the fact that the VVTi isn't working means the valve timing is always on maximum retard right? Could that cause higher EGTs?

I'll take it even easier until I get it finally mapped.

Jason
Jason

muffdan

Quote from: "custardavenger"Sorry. But

m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RpGKP_F ... re=related m

Sorry Rob, I can't view this as youtube is blocked at work  s:( :( s:(  What's the theme of this vid!
Jason

muffdan

Quote from: "philster_d"I am going to sell a few of my Defi gauges as i changed my mind on exactly what i wanted to do.

phil

What guages did you have and what are you planning to do instead?
Jason

StuM

Quote from: "muffdan"
Quote from: "custardavenger"What's the theme of this vid!

Here's a screen shot..

But you do have to watch the video for the noise!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Ilogik

Christ that video is insane, never realized it got that hot in the engine bay lol.

markiii

you really should read the thread "Fixing My Molten Roadster"  :-) :-) :-)

Dyn-Evo

s:D :D s:D  

That video shows nothing other than normal turbo manifold temps: cast iron goes cherry red at around 900C...

...at 1200-1300c it is molten: so that makes 2000C impossible....!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

and stainless steel melts at around 1500C, too.....   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

(Nice whistle....Even though it was only on full boost for around 4 seconds.........!)

PS: They should really have had some sort of filter on there, too...........  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

Christopherathens

Quote from: "Dyn-Evo"Getting back to a "safe" EGT.......

I would certainly aim for a MAX of 950c: anything above this and things are getting too lean.......

I totally agree.

To add to the discussion,position of the EGT sensor is of crucial importance for the right EGT's.I didn't want to make a hole in my stock 2zz header,afraid of cracking it,so i installed the EGT sensor at the beginning of the downpipe(see pic):

Various tests have shown that the real temp difference in this location is 80-100 C.So,whatever value i get on the screen i add 100 degrees to be spot on.

I have a rather rich tune just to be on the safe side because of the 11.5:1 compression and the track duty the car sees.
Here you can see a pic from a datalog i did on a 2nd gear pull using the Zeitronix software.Vertical lines are used for added detail:

EGT in that pic is shown in Fahrenheit.I forgot to change the value.880F=470C.
You can see other logged values on that log,AFR's and Boost in psi.

Moreover,when on track after a full 10 min session of revving constantly 5k-8k,highest peak EGT temp on the gauge i've seen is 710 C,so real EGT temp is about 800 C.Pretty happy with those temps.
2zz-gZe powered by J.P.Motis / WEB3.0
325.7 hp

www.mr2rotrex.blogspot.com

MR2 Club Of Greece

muffdan

jeez, I hope I can get those sort of temps, I'll be quite happy!

Thanks for the input Chris, it's a shame your car couldn't make the trip over to Corfu this year, I was very keen to see it!
Jason

Christopherathens

Quote from: "muffdan"jeez, I hope I can get those sort of temps, I'll be quite happy!

Thanks for the input Chris, it's a shame your car couldn't make the trip over to Corfu this year, I was very keen to see it!

Yeah,i know..I was really angry because of the clutch problem..
 Check out what i saw when i changed the clutch disk..  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

Scary huh?

There is always next year my friend.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
May we both bring our cars.  s:D :D s:D
2zz-gZe powered by J.P.Motis / WEB3.0
325.7 hp

www.mr2rotrex.blogspot.com

MR2 Club Of Greece

muffdan

yeah, I missed my car not being there too. Still, the 350Z wasn't that bad, apart from the bits when I couldn't keep through the bends over the Alps anyway!

That clutch looks like it had a hard life, wonder why that was!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Jason

Tags: