Recent Tyre Chat/Rant

Started by Acehole, August 5, 2009, 21:32

Acehole

Anyone reading previous posts will understand but i have decided to take advice of fellow members and my tyres are being changed this friday the 7th. Very sad in a way as this has totally blown away my turbo options (for now). £125 a tyre and i now have 195/45/17 on the front and 205/40/17 on the rear.

Would like to say a BIG thankyou to StuM and also thank WillsSayers and markiii for input.

Can also mention Nelix although i wish he hadent call me a newbie kid to RWD whilst eating sweets at the wheel and scaring old folk with my manic driving skills that could kill locals walking on the pavement and cursing me with bad luck saying i should be in a ditch along with his witchcraft.
Ex Owner of a ...2000 X Silver (1DO) Air con with Red leather and Hardtop, JDL spoiler, 17" Momo Corse wheels, Custom exhaust system by Pipecraft, K&N 57i Gen2 Cold Air Induction Kit Facelift Indies. Full main dealer history

Anonymous

S'okay, getting a turbo with dodgy tyres would've been a sure-fire case for a carditch incident anyway, so I reckon we've done you a favour  s;) ;) s;)

WillsSayers

Horrah o/ Are your tyres gold plated? Sounds expensive  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

Acehole

I know :O i was hoping for like £80 a tyre to be honest
Ex Owner of a ...2000 X Silver (1DO) Air con with Red leather and Hardtop, JDL spoiler, 17" Momo Corse wheels, Custom exhaust system by Pipecraft, K&N 57i Gen2 Cold Air Induction Kit Facelift Indies. Full main dealer history

Anonymous

Your thanks are accepted, i may have been harsh, but i see justification in the end result, i.e. you are taking the advice.
Yes, i am blunt, because i know the consequences of running with no stagger/mixed tyres. The others are the fine sandpaper to my rough, they will better explain the reasons why, whilst i will just tell you that it is in your best interests to do it.
Had you put a turbo on with your current tyre set up, it would have been a disaster waiting to happen.
This way you are being sensible and will hopefully keep your roadster and your membership of the forum for many years.

You can also freely call what you wish by pm, those are private.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  And i have heard it all before.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

uktotty

I bought 2 Toyos for £90 this week!
Why are yours double that?

Ilogik

Probably bought some good years, or bought toyo's from Kwik fit lol.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

muffdan

Are all 4 of your tyres being changed?

There's going to be cheaper tyre options surely. Falkens perhaps?
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

muffdan

Quote from: "Ilogik"Probably bought some good years, or bought toyo's from Kwik fit lol.

Kwik Fit don't do Toyos. My service and maintenance contract covered tyres but I had to get them supplied and fitted by Kwik Fit and they couldn't supply Toyos.   s:( :( s:(
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Acehole

aparently these tyres im getting are the daddy. ill find out what there called tomorrow, there Yokohama's though, thats all i know

darkday

My guess is they cost so much more because they're 17s. Get some stock wheels and you're problems are solved.   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

Assuming you get them in the UK my guess is they're just yokohama S.drives. Good tire but nothing special and nothing really better then the T1-Rs either. Aside from a marginally better sidewall. Not a bad tire though either.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Acehole"Can also mention Nelix although i wish he hadent call me a newbie kid to RWD whilst eating sweets at the wheel and scaring old folk with my manic driving skills that could kill locals walking on the pavement and cursing me with bad luck saying i should be in a ditch along with his witchcraft.

Don't recall calling you a kid, accusing you of eating whilst driving, scaring old folk, or cursing you. Also to my knowledge, i am not a warlock.

WillsSayers

Quote from: "nelix"Yes, i am blunt, because........

Really? I thought it was just 'cause you're Scottish.....?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

Anonymous

Quote from: "WillsSayers"
Quote from: "nelix"Yes, i am blunt, because........

Really? I thought it was just 'cause you're Scottish.....?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

No Wills, thats just my claymore, blunt on sassenach skulls  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

StuM

Don't forget to grab your existing tyres back once they swap them - that way you can sell them on (not to a Roadster owner!) to offset the cost a bit...
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

VVT-i

Not the sizes I would have went for I'm afraid, I have 205/40x17 on the front and 215/45x17 on the rear (I would have got 225/40x17 but no-one makes them that I know of.... next time I change the rears will try 225/45x17 and see if they will fit as it would give me a better stagger)

The reason the price is so expensive... 205/40x17's are on every 2nd car that comes to us (OK, maybe not, but they are one of the most popular tyres going) so can be found at a good price, 195/45x17's are like Hens teeth, I don't even recall ever fitting one (20 years fitting tyres) and because they aren't popular can be very expensive.

I just checked online with one of our suppliers (one of the largest in the country) and they are listing 205/40x17's in just about every flavour and are not listing anything at all for 195/45x17's. This means they don't have them in stock which will be because they will be ordered in to suit. I also checked Blackcircles on the off chance, but as they get their tyres from the same wholesalers they have nothing either.

If your not too late try and get 215/45x17's for the rear.. fit on mine OK with Tein springs fitted too.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

Ilogik

If I had the choice from the toyo's and good years, I am going back to Good years me thinks. I heard good stories from the Yoko's
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Tags: