Optimax or not

Started by Anonymous, June 24, 2003, 09:18

Anonymous

What petrol do people use - I've got used to using Optimax, however someone at work sugessted it may not be ideal for our cars and could damage the cat?

Cheers,

Mike

Anonymous

I use it - im sure if it damaged the cat, what with all the cars on the market that HAVE to have cats now, i would doubt that shell would sell it!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

I use it now and again but am convinced it's a psychological improvement only - and I'm mean and do lots of miles so I don't like paying a 5p/litre premium for it.
I'm sure some thorough testing would prove that changing down will give more significant performance improvements   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

J

Anonymous

I do a lot of mile too and have experimented.  I am now 100% convinced that Optimax is better.  It gives noticable performance improvements (when used regularly), increases economy and from the long term tests I've seen in magazines, actually does help de-coke ports etc.

Assuming you do around 12,000 miles a year at an average of 30 mpg a 5p per litre premium on Optimax will cost you around £90 per year.  A bargain for the performance and engine care benefits you get really.

--H--

Liz

With the Optimax its not only the performance enhancement - it also keeps the engine very clean, which has only got to be a good thing.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

I'm with Hardcore all the way on this. I am a relatively high milage user and i swear by Optimax (when I can bloody find the stuff!). Improved performance (and you CAN tell) as well as slightly better economy, can't complain. If it cleans the engine as well, then I am more than happy to spend the premium!

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"I'm with Hardcore all the way on this.
Again!

s:) :) s:)  

When you consider that people will pay hundreds of pounds if not more on various other performance mods that may or may not give a performance gain (I'm thinking exhausts, air boxes, chips etc, etc) £90 a year extra for Optimax seems cheap, and it doesn't affect your insurance premium either!

--H--

Anonymous

We must stop agreeing like this.......  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

One thing though. Do you find it hard to find? I think there are a shortage of Shell garages in and around Cambs/Suffolk I reckon and just happen to be lucky to have a Shell on my way to wirk. Other than that, I know of only one other that is within 20 miles of me!! I am sure there are more, but where they are, god only knows..........  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Im quite lucky, there are a couple in Milton Keynes and a few in Northampton that sell it... however, one of them in northampton i cant fill up with as it just keeps clicking... it took me 10 mins to fill up there once. Yet the one that is near my work i fill up first time, every time... strange.

Anonymous

John,

According to the Shell station locator there are 10 Shell stations that provide Optimax within 25 miles of Newmarket!  Go here to find them!...

Kris,

You'll get that problem with filling up at certain stations, I can't find a pattern but some will repeatedly think it's full when it's not and you have to squeeze the pump less to get the fuel to flow!  Apprently it a problem with the car not the pumps.   s:( :( s:(  

--H--

zud

I tried Optimax a couple of times and think I could feel the performance difference, and I seemed to get a few extra mpg.  On the other hand I didn't notice much difference when I fill up (quickly!) with 95 ron last time, and I'd had a few longer journeys when using Optimax!  So I'm slightly sceptical still, but have decided to go for it whenever possible.

To find an Optimax station near you try:

m http://www.multimap.com/clients/places. ... g=en&db=GB m
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

Cool! Nice one 'Core! Very useful! The ones that I know about are the closest to me, but there are a couple that I didn't know about in Cambridge though. Cool. Ta!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hardcore"John,

Kris,

You'll get that problem with filling up at certain stations, I can't find a pattern but some will repeatedly think it's full when it's not and you have to squeeze the pump less to get the fuel to flow!  Apprently it a problem with the car not the pumps.   s:( :( s:(  

--H--

Yeah, its only at this one station so far... BP garages are all ok, its just this one shell garage i have major problems with... so it cant be the car... they are full of it aint they!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

zud

Damn, beaten to it by 2 minutes... and Hardcore's even done a fancy hyperlink!!    s:( :( s:(  

But, I've got a Top Tip for Kris and Co... I used to have the same problem with pumps clicking off all the time until I saw this tip on a '2 forum (can't remember which one)... Put the nozzle in, then push the handle down slightly... the filler hole will move slightly... try it now.  I've not had a problem since doing this!!!    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

What I meant by "it's a problem with the car" is that there is a design 'quirk' which means that some pumps will be fooled in to thinking they are getting back pressure and cut out.  For example there's a Total garage near me that I have used a couple of times (before I went Optimax exclusive!) and the pump used to cut out all the time but it is absolutely fine at full pelt on my Mum's car.

So technically you're right, it's a problem with the pump, but a problem that is only triggered by the design of our cars.

--H--

Humble Jim

Quote from: "zud"But, I've got a Top Tip for Kris and Co... I used to have the same problem with pumps clicking off all the time until I saw this tip on a '2 forum (can't remember which one)... Put the nozzle in, then push the handle down slightly... the filler hole will move slightly... try it now.  I've not had a problem since doing this!!!    s:D :D s:D

Might try this, as its the only thing to have even vaguely annoyed me about my new 03. I've filled up only three times in three different garages and every time I've resorted to letting off the grip to keep the fuel flowing in.

The "it's a problem with the car" /  "it's a problem with the pump" kind of sounds like a typical IT to and fro when software folk blame hardware people for something not working and vice versa. Hardcore puts his finger on it though, a small design error on the '2. Pumps are pretty standard all around the world after all so Mr T should have solved this.
H&S Exhaust

Anonymous

Agreed, MrT SHOULD have solved this, but they obviously haven't, so we have to live with it. What I do is tend to pump with the nozzle at about the 10 o'clock position and the handle down and it seems to fill up Ok now. Took me a while to figure it out, but it can be done..........

Anonymous

ive tried all that 10 oclock stuff, spun the fecking thing all the way round and it still did not work properly... but only at this one garage..   s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?  

bloody stupid petrol bloody stuff... dont bloody want it anyway!   s:x :x s:x    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Eh eh, caaaalm down, caaaalm down.........  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Know what you mean though. It is a stupid problem.........  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"bloody stupid petrol bloody stuff... dont bloody want it anyway!   s:x :x s:x    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Tell me about it!  I mean it's so heavy!

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

--H--

Anonymous

Run your car in hydrogen. Its MUCH lighter.......  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

zud

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"ive tried all that 10 oclock stuff, spun the fecking thing all the way round and it still did not work properly... but only at this one garage..   s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?  

bloody stupid petrol bloody stuff... dont bloody want it anyway!   s:x :x s:x    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I used to get the same in several garages... try it with the nozzle straight in, then press down the handle so the nozzle pivots on the bottom of the filler hole... and the end of the nozzle is pressed against the back of the filler tube.  Press hard enough that the filler hole moves slightly.  Once I saw this on one of the Roadster forums, I've never had a problem since!  Good luck!

Anonymous

Heh,
It was me that originally posted that tip on spiderchat - I've only just found this forum - I think when I first looked on the web this one hadn't started. It's good to speak to people in the UK who are a bit more chilled than guys in the USA.

The filling problem is cos of the angle which the fuel filler tube is at - if you just put the nozzle in straight - i.e with the bent bit pointing vertically down and push it in as far as it will go and then just put a bit of downwards pressure on it it will tilt back a bit - works on most pumps but there will still always be pumps where the back pressure cutout seems to be too sensitive.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Leahcim"What petrol do people use - I've got used to using Optimax, however someone at work sugessted it may not be ideal for our cars and could damage the cat?

Cheers,

Mike

The Shell "High Performance" fuel, its not called Optimax here, was tested by the ADAC last month. There report was very damming. The found that there was little or no improvment over normal Super blends, and if the case of 2 tested cars, the performance was worse.

Anonymous

Quote from: "victor"and if the case of 2 tested cars, the performance was worse.

If it's good enough for Schumacher it's good enough for me (yeah yeah alright, I know it's not the same grade).  

The main benefit of Optimax is it keeps your engine clean.  However, some suggest that too much of the cleaning agents can damage the cat while others disagree...  

As for the performance benefits, according to the Shell marketing blurb, it seems as though it is possible but I think it's mostly psychological; my car gets an extra 20bhp every time I wash it.  The suggested decrease in performance is highly unlikely due to the (proven) increase in flow efficiency.

I personally use it every time and besides, there will not be much choice in a few years.  Optimax simply adheres to the new specifications which will become compulsory by 2005 for all oil companies.  In my opinion, Shell is ahead of the game; by that time Optimax will be well established and Shell will have enough time to iron out any problems - if any.

Tags: