Optimax or not

Started by Anonymous, June 24, 2003, 09:18

Anonymous

Has anyone tried Tesco's 99 RON in their 2 yet? It seems to be only available down south at the moment.

I personally do not use Optimax because I am not convinced there is either an increase in power or mpg. I certainly did not notice any difference in power output. The mpg was easily tested and there was no increase in fuel economy when I used it. The added cost is significant - Optimax is 10p a litre more expensive than supermarket unleaded over here and, at my 20k miles a year, this adds up to about £250 a year. That's a lot of cash for some extra 'additives'. To me, it's like buying those 'friendly bacteria' drinks. You may feel better for drinking it but I seriously doubt any provable benefit!

James

heathstimpson

Quote from: "jamesn"Has anyone tried Tesco's 99 RON in their 2 yet? It seems to be only available down south at the moment.
James
I have been using it for over a month now and the car feels more responsive than other fuel I have used IMHO  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

roger

Quote from: "heathstimpson"I have been using it for over a month now and the car feels more responsive than other fuel I have used IMHO  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Heath, out of interest, is your Unichip a Dastek map, or have you dyno'ed it here? You can probably guess where i am coming from.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

heathstimpson

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"I have been using it for over a month now and the car feels more responsive than other fuel I have used IMHO  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Heath, out of interest, is your Unichip a Dastek map, or have you dyno'ed it here? You can probably guess where i am coming from.
I am still runing the stock maps but will be getting it dyno'ed in the spring  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

roger

Yeah, I think that will be the time you make your decision as to  which petrol you use. Obviously Tesco is a bit better than stock USA   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

Anonymous

Tesco RON99 has just made it to Cardiff.
Previously I was using optimax at 104p/l! I can get Tesco 99ron for 94.9p/l at the moment.
My unichip is mapped to 98ron optimax but I've now run the tesco juice for 600miles with no decernable loss of performance and I'm getting 38mpg on my 80-90mph mortorway runs.

All in all - good go go juice.
Only thing is it may not have all the antiwear/corrosion additives of optimax so I'll probably still run the optimax through once a month or so

Anonymous

Quote from: "odub"Apparently its so dangerous that no motor should run unleaded without a cat, not even a lawn mower..

Justr read this - sorry but complete gash!!!!!

Unleaded petrol predated the universal introduction of cats by some years.
I've ran an old MG Metro (no cat) on unleaded for 5 years with no problems and a race spec 106 rallye with a decat on optimax for three years and the engine was so healthy it would even pass the MOT emissions test without the cat (with a little fuelling tinkering)

Gazz

Is anyone using the new 99RON Shell V-Power in their 2's ??

I think its supposed to be replacing Optimax but I haven't seen it in my local garages yet. Just wondering if people that have used it have noticed any difference also what price is it. Is it more than Optimax ?
[size=80]Lotus Elise 111R, Larini Sports Exhaust [/size]

Tem

Quote from: "Gazz"Is anyone using the new 99RON Shell V-Power in their 2's ??

I think its supposed to be replacing Optimax but I haven't seen it in my local garages yet. Just wondering if people that have used it have noticed any difference also what price is it. Is it more than Optimax ?

Nice to see you're getting it as well.  s;) ;) s;)  I'm using that and wouldn't touch worse stuff anymore. I'd say it's useless on a stock car though. But a turbo engine tuned for 99 octane allowed 2-3 degree more advance with less knock on V-power. (or more boost, if you wish and your engine can take it)

It's pretty expensive, around 1.5e/l, while "normal" 99 is some 1.3e and 95 some 1.2e. But worth every penny.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Gazz

Thanks for that Tem, I'm going to give it a go as soon as I find some just to see if it makes any discernible difference with the TTET
[size=80]Lotus Elise 111R, Larini Sports Exhaust [/size]

Slacey

V-Power is the replacement / rebranded Optimax (Shell lost the right to use the name). As Tem mentioned, it will do wonders in a tuned car, but will keep the engine of a non-tuned car nice and clean. I use it in the Griffith purely for knock control; those old RV8's were designed for leaded fuel!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

spit

Quote from: "Slacey"As Tem mentioned, it will do wonders in a tuned car

I followed Tem's advice today. Wow, what a big improvement, & at 99.9p its cheaper than the Optimax was.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

roger

Quote from: "Slacey"V-Power is the replacement / rebranded Optimax

Went to my local, today, Optimax gone replaced by V-Power.

Would anybody like to guess or provide good reasons if it would be worth spending £120 ish to have the Unichip remapped?
Roger

Tags: