TRD adjustable suspension

Started by Tem, February 16, 2004, 07:16

Tem

Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

Very nice! Alta -Vista translations are always worth a laugh,  but reading between the gibberish it looks like they have four way adjustable damping, and adjustable ride height on each spring platform... Would make adjusting corner wieghts for circuit use very easy.

Seems to be designed with circuit use specifically in mind, which makes me wonder if it'd be a bit to firm for road use?

Roughly £1150, but needs to be used with Sportivo anti-roll bars.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

It sounds too stiff for everyday use, at least for my taste.

The Sportivo has 16.0N/mm and 33.6N/mm (front/rear), this has 34.3 and 49.0  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Even the fixed rate TRD "race" springs have only 23.4 and 46.2...

Same goes for shocks 823/559N and 1254/490N for Sportivo, while these are 706/673N and 2148/668N. I suppose the latter are the maximum settings though...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I seem to recall a discussion on SC about them but as a Japanese and not a US TRD part there seem to be a reluctance from the US owners to go for it due to availability/cost/ supportability issues.

heathstimpson

Too hard and too expensive for my liking; lowered springs will have to do for me.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I have a standard car - love it to bits.

BUT have concerns and want some technical advice:

It's a 2000 car with 13k on the clock, and the front suspension doesn't seem quite right. When manouvering on full lock there is often some creaking noises, and also reversing on full lock it feels like the edge of one of the front tyres has rolled over a large stone. Sounds silly reading that back, but that's what it feels like. That's problem 1.

Problem 2 is that the car follows the camber unbelievably. It's a real handful. I've had performance cars before so I know what to expect - some people would call my car undriveable. The tracking is fine, and I'm on original equipment tyres all round. Pressures fine too.

I'm happy to upgrade the suspension but I want something that makes the car better behaved, not firmer necessarily. Chasing a Mini Cooper down a typical B road recently he got away from me because my car was threatening to jump off the road. Now that's not right!

Problem 3 is the rattles from the hood. Somewhere above the passenger's head.

Any advice?

PS Martin great story on the TTE turbo kit. Very tempting IF I can get the ride/handling sorted out. I'm following some mates down to Le Mans this year (TVR T350, Caterham 7 Superlight and TVR Chimaera). Maybe I need the 200bhp version...

PPS Still love the car, and it's getting quicker every day.
  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "jp"I When manouvering on full lock there is often some creaking noises, and also reversing on full lock it feels like the edge of one of the front tyres has rolled over a large stone. Sounds silly reading that back, but that's what it feels like. That's problem 1.

Do a search for Suspension Top Mounts on the forum and see what you find - thats what it sounds like.

Quote from: "jp"Problem 2 is that the car follows the camber unbelievably. It's a real handful. I've had performance cars before so I know what to expect - some people would call my car undriveable. The tracking is fine, and I'm on original equipment tyres all round. Pressures fine too.

To you mean Tramline? That could just be down to the tyres... go for something a little better like Toyo Proxis or Eagle F1's

Quote from: "jp"Problem 3 is the rattles from the hood. Somewhere above the passenger's head.

I have this one too... think its the metal part of the roof, above the passenger window... not had a fit from the dealer yet but if you find out, let us know.

You might want to read this sticky post too:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=2248 m

Anonymous

Muchos Gracias for the reply - the link was a great help too

Suspension: Toyota service dept. on Saturday suggested the 'suspension problems' could be traced to the power steering not being quick enough to respond to a quick turn of the wheels when manouvering. Not sure I agree with this, but he said he has modified another couple of Roadsters with this problem by fitting a larger p/s hose. Once I get this modification under extended warranty I'll see how it feels.

Tramlining: It has got worse lately so probably is a tyre issue as the tread goes down. Fronts are still healthy, but rears are down to 2-3mm (explains why roundabouts are so much fun at the moment). Thanks for the suggested tyres...

Keep you posted.

Tags: