6000 miles and counting....

Started by Anonymous, February 17, 2004, 10:16

Anonymous

As I've now done over 6000 I thougt I'd treat the boy to an oil & filter change, and while I was at it would get the delightful Mr T to have a look at a couple of warranty bits for me....

1) Mr T was v keen to put in fully synthetic, but after much persuading (and advice from mph - cheers matey) agreed to put in 10/w40 semi. Also wanted to charge me half an hours labour - no way! He eventually agreed no labour charge - result!   s:D :D s:D  

2) Alloys bubbling - have checked these carefully every time I wash it, finally saw the tell tale signs this weekend. Mr T agreed to replace, no quibbles   s:D :D s:D  

3) rusty discs - again, replacement agreed no problems (and pads of course)

4) Fisher Price CD player jumping / rejecting CDs - replacement agreed

5) front suspension groan - couldn't find a problem    s:( :( s:(   gona keep an eye on this one...

6) headlight & rear light cluster condensation - according to Mr T this is now recognised as something that happens as they breath, so replacement will not happen   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  . From what I've seen on here this isn't the case so will go back armed with prints of the relevant posts and try again

I know I've got about 2 weeks before the new alloys arrive so I'll be crawling all over the car to see if there's anything else needs doing that I've missed. deep joy!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Slacey

At least be happy in the knowledge that you have a reasonable dealer, others aren't so lucky  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "swp"headlight & rear light cluster condensation - according to Mr T this is now recognised as something that happens as they breath

My lights breath???   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

This is pure rubbish. I have had no problems with my lights misting up.

Toyota will come up with excuses. My HMSL lense had turned pink so Mr T replaced the unit. The new one had small scratches on the inside and constantly misted up. When I spoke to them they said that the scratches were part of the manufacturing process and every HMSL misted up as it was impossible to create a 100% airtight seal. They said that they had never known of one that was not scratched or misted........until I told them that my last one had no problems except it had turned pink and said to their faces that I knew they were lying.

Anonymous

QuoteFrom what I've seen on here this isn't the case so will go back armed with prints of the relevant posts and try again

Depending on you dealer this can either be a good or bad thing. Some may respect the information and change their opinion but I have had them snort in derision at anything of the internet from unofficial sources.

You may wish to consider another dealer for that issue or continue to argue the case along the lines that it didn't start 'breathing' until recently. How many of their new cars they are trying to sell have that condition in the showroom or mention as part of the sale pitch

"... and it comes with headlights that fog up nicely to show that seals are letting it breathe."    s:x :x s:x

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "swp"5) front suspension groan - couldn't find a problem    s:( :( s:(   gona keep an eye on this one...

A tip - make sure you write down what was happening when you hear it groan. ie time, date, weather conditions (temp, humidity, wet, dry) and driving conditions (wet or dry road, how much lock on steering, how much acceleration or braking).

One thing I have noticed is that the creaking/clonking was somewhat random and next to impossible for Mr T to reproduce. Letting him know the conditions when it happens, he may spot a pattern and then is will be easier to him to reproduce it and hopefully fix it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"At least be happy in the knowledge that you have a reasonable dealer, others aren't so lucky  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

so I hear! They do actually seem to be reasonable guys, but I definately think it helps that they know that I won't take any cr@p from em!

PS - they (Loders, Salisbury) also give 10% discount to any members, and now have flyers to dish out too!

SteveJ

Well my car is now 11 weeks old and it's off to the Andrew Rowley in 10 days time for its 10K service (  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  ), and I have the same misting up problem with the rear lights.

One point to note with the '03 rear lights (not sure if the same with pre '03), there is a breather hole on the back of the light cluster with a plastic cap over it that is grooved down the side to allow air in and out of the unit (there is also a piece of sponge inside the vent too I assume to prevent creepy crawlies finding their way inside)

This is almost certainly where the moisture is getting in, and I suspect is going to be impossible to stop. At least it doesn't get trapped inside, and when the sun (!) gets on the cluster it will dry out fairly quickly.

Oh, and I also have the groaning front suspension when braking to a complete stop - I'm just waiting for them to try blaming it on the lowering springs (that were fitted by Toyota's tech center in Salford!)

aaronjb

Quote from: "swp"so I hear! They do actually seem to be reasonable guys, but I definately think it helps that they know that I won't take any cr@p from em!

I think you were doing pretty well when you got them to change the oil for free!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Don't think I'd want to lay on my back next to someones car for 10 mins for free  s:D :D s:D   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "swp"so I hear! They do actually seem to be reasonable guys, but I definately think it helps that they know that I won't take any cr@p from em!

I think you were doing pretty well when you got them to change the oil for free!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Don't think I'd want to lay on my back next to someones car for 10 mins for free  s:D :D s:D   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

getting them to do it for free was easy(ish). They tried to tell me it would cost half an hours labour - even I know that it doesn't take that long (especially when they needed to other bits anyway) I just made it clear that i wasn't happy about having to bring the car back for all this warranty stuff so soon, but I knew they'd look after me and wouldn't try to fleece me etc   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  . It seems very obvious to me that all they had to do was drop the oil, while it's draining they could start on the warranty bits, then fit new filter & oil once that was all done. simple. they couldn't really argue their way out of it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   sometimes a girl just has to out her foot down (and I don't just mean on twisty windy lanes)

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"Oh, and I also have the groaning front suspension when braking to a complete stop - I'm just waiting for them to try blaming it on the lowering springs (that were fitted by Toyota's tech center in Salford!)

This is exactly what I have!  (with standard springs though)

I initially thought it was related to the brakes, but now I think suspension must be the problem... it only happens when I come to a complete stop.

Let me know if you find a solution, as mine is out of warranty and I'm reluctant to spend any money investigating the problem if it's not too serious!

Cheers,
Tim.

Anonymous

Re: the noise on breaking, check out http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8874 and it might be worth PM'ing Auburnspyder.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "swp"
Quote from: "aaronjb"

getting them to do it for free was easy(ish). They tried to tell me it would cost half an hours labour - even I know that it doesn't take that long (especially when they needed to other bits anyway) I just made it clear that i wasn't happy about having to bring the car back for all this warranty stuff so soon, but I knew they'd look after me and wouldn't try to fleece me etc   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  . It seems very obvious to me that all they had to do was drop the oil, while it's draining they could start on the warranty bits, then fit new filter & oil once that was all done. simple. they couldn't really argue their way out of it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   sometimes a girl just has to out her foot down (and I don't just mean on twisty windy lanes)
I think it was really that magic woman touch eh  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"I think it was really that magic woman touch eh  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

moi? (innocent look, finger on cheek) dunno what you mean! (/innocent look, finger on cheek)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: